Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: V7 Stone Review

V7 Stone Review

Well, i've just had my first go on a moto guzzi v7 stone. Having not ever ridden a guzzi (and i've gotten to ride a lot in my days working at a cycle shop), I wasn't sure what to expect.

The one abiding memory was reminding myself this is "only" a 750cc machine. I was impressed at how easy it was to ride (and the ride itself) as well as how eager it seemed to provide that power. I know it is rated at 50hp, but it seems like more than that. I've owned quite a few bikes over the years (mostly honda's and a harley), but this - in my own opinion - takes the cake. Well done moto guzzi, well done.

About the only way I could see the experience getting better is having a go on the griso. But for now, this is definitely a way cool ride folks.
    Joe

Love the look of these, glad to here they ride well too.

Quote Originally Posted by roma258 View Post
    Love the look of these, glad to here they ride well too.
    They really do ride very well. I went into it remembering what it was like to ride a honda 750 (granted I know it's a totally different machine) and came away pleasantly surprised.

I'd be real curious to see what the griso is like.
    Joe

I have spent a summer riding a smallblock (V50III) and I REALLY enjoyed the Hell out of riding that little bugger. I completely expect the New V7 you just rode is even better.
    BTW, you have just slipped over to The Dark Side. Bwa Ha Ha Ha!!!!!

DungeonMaster
    #1 Forum Magic Missile Caster

"I rode a Griso at when I used to work for Aprilia City in Melbourne. Probably the nicest bike ever" - Cosaro

1972 Laverda SF 750
    2007 Moto Guzzi Griso 1100
    2003 Moto Guzzi California Titanium 1100 - for sale

Riding the wife's 'little' 09 V7C I always thought of it as a very torquey and super fun 250. Delightfully light to chuck around and very forgiving, especially with Ikon shocks and Pirelli demons (as now oem on the Stone). The Griso 8v OTH is beast of an entirely different colour.
    Gil
    'Its only rock n roll but I like it....'

Quote Originally Posted by shekel View Post
    The Griso 8v OTH is beast of an entirely different colour.
    That's what i'm counting on... ;-)
    Joe

I only rode AF1's demo Stone for a couple of miles and I wish I went farther but had no time. However, I though it was a brilliant and well balanced little bike. The Racer is cool, but the Stone would be it. I would highly recommend one for a new rider or one who wants something different and easy to ride. I don't think the "it only makes xxx horsepower" is much of an argument.
    Bikes:
    2007.5 Tuono-Black, with 1102cc's of micah's badness!
    2012 Griso-Silver and black, Agostini pipe, some carbon bits.
    2006 Vespa GT200-bitubo suspension all around, Malossi big-bore, head and cam, Akrapovic pipe, all put together by Micah.

gone 2002 Caponord-Oyster gray (as faithful as a hound dog)
    gone Futura-Red (on the AF1 showroom floor. Get some.)

The more I learn about people, the more I appreciate rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by jrflanne View Post
    I don't think the "it only makes xxx horsepower" is much of an argument.
    I agree with you on this. I was hugely impressed by the power the little thing had. I didn't think that a 750 had that sort of get up and go. The only thing I have rode to compare it to was the honda shadow 750; that bike felt very anemic and down on power.

The V7 Stone on the other hand felt as if it had quite a bit more power (which is why I had to remind myself it was "only" a 750 when I was riding it).

The question is how would it do on a long road trip or a cross country ride. Any V7 Stone owners care to chime in on this?
    Joe

In spite of the appalling experience I had with the Stelvio I must admit once the V7 stone appears on to the second hand market I'm going to buy one.

Love the looks, love the character.... Rubbish as an only bike but for sunny days commuting it'd make a really nice change.
    BMW S1000XR,BMW C600,Honda Crosstourer Sold, Moto Guzzi Stelvio Sold, BMW 1200GS Sold, KTM 450 EXC Sold, Yamaha TMAX 500 sold, Tuono 1000R Factory, Yamaha WR250F Stolen, Tuono 1000 Fighter Crashed, Aprilia Atlantic 500 Blown up, Yamaha Fazer 1000 Sold, Triumph Speed Tripple 955i Sold, Suzuki GSXR750 Sold, Montessa 305 Sold, Yamaha XJR1200 Sold, BMW K75 Sold after 1 week, Hardley 1200 Sold, Montessa 250 Stolen, Kawasaki GPX750R Sold, Yamaha XJ 600 Crashed, Yamaha RD350 Stolen, Suzuki TS250 Sold, Suzuki GS125 Sold, Suzuki AP50 Crashed Crashed Sold

Still got the Tuono, it's a keeper.

A mate got to use a V7 Stone as a loner while his V11 was being repaired. He let me have about a 20 min. ride on it out of town. Like you all I thought the motor felt great with no lack of power. It looked great and had good brakes. However the seat was rock hard and combined with the slightly forward foot pegs I found it a bit uncomfortable. My other criticism is the suspension was a bit harsh although the bike never felt unsettled. Overall a great little bike with a nice motor and good looks. I think it would make a fantastic commuter.
    Do not go gentle into that good night,

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

As a commuter bike, I am confident that the V7 would be superb. I found it to be a very comfortable and good riding bike.

Being as this would be my only bike and with my tendency to go on road trips, I wouldn't want it to struggle to maintain road speed whilst going down the road (up hills, etc).
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jl79 View Post
    As a commuter bike, I am confident that the V7 would be superb. I found it to be a very comfortable and good riding bike.

Being as this would be my only bike and with my tendency to go on road trips, I wouldn't want it to struggle to maintain road speed whilst going down the road (up hills, etc).
    I would not worry about it but I am biased.
    I spent a summer using a Yamaha Exciter 250cc single as my only wheels. THAT was anemic!!
    The 250 could hit 75mph going downhill with a tailwind.
    The V7 has much more Wheaties than that.

DM
    #1 Forum Magic Missile Caster

"I rode a Griso at when I used to work for Aprilia City in Melbourne. Probably the nicest bike ever" - Cosaro

1972 Laverda SF 750
    2007 Moto Guzzi Griso 1100
    2003 Moto Guzzi California Titanium 1100 - for sale

Quote Originally Posted by SF2DieHard View Post

I would not worry about it but I am biased.
    I spent a summer using a Yamaha Exciter 250cc single as my only wheels. THAT was anemic!!
    The 250 could hit 75mph going downhill with a tailwind.
    The V7 has much more Wheaties than that.

DM
    You ain't kidding! When I first moved to texas several years ago, I picked up a honda rebel 250cc for next to nothing (needed a carb rebuild and a oil change). Going up and down roads around here was a learning experience to say the least.

I'm leaning towards the v7 at the moment, but i'd reserve my final judgement until I got to have a go on the griso. Not to say the v7 is lacking in power or anything, it's just when you have had a 919cc (honda variety), going to anything smaller is almost setting yourself up for disappointment.

But as I said in the initial post, the v7 was impressive in the power department and had loads of character (which I love from a bike).
    Joe

Hey jl79, no disrespect intended, but you really do need to get out and ride the griso asap.
    Last edited by shekel; 03-22-2013 at 06:10 PM.
    Gil
    'Its only rock n roll but I like it....'

Quote Originally Posted by shekel View Post
    Hey jl79, no disrespect intended, but you really do need to get out and ride the griso asap.
    I am not arguing with you on that! Like i've said, if the v7 stone is that good, I can only imagine the griso is that much better. :-)
    Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast