Page 290 of 292 FirstFirst ... 190240280288289290291292 LastLast
Results 4,336 to 4,350 of 4372

Thread: What did you do to your Caponord today..!!!!

apriliaforum expert
    Pegs touch down first.......apparently ehem!
    I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy

apriliaforum Member
    Cleaned the beast for only the 2nd time since I've had it. I'm terrible I know!

I'd forgotten the wheels were silver and not black looks much better now though!

Also refitted my big top box for the spring meet this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Banban View Post
    Today, (well yesterday) I fitted oem pannier brackets. And panniers. I haven't ridden it yet. But i have concerns. The panniers, do they scrape the road, if Capo is ridden a bit more lively? They seem a bit low, an quite wide....
    No there ok just don't forget there on when filtering in traffic

Well after a couple months finally decided to put the capo back. First order of business fixing the full left lock throttle cable bind. Did not help that I had a cross twist in the cables when I routed them - not a lot of room until i unscrewed the front coil plastic bracket. What a tight little space to get an hex key into. Have no idea how to get the radiator to move without unbolting it from the lower mounts -and I did not - so fiddle in the plenum I did. Plenty of room now....
    06' Caponord

apriliaforum Member
    Adding another ground wire. I went through the various threads, the one by Catfish is clean and simple and will do the job. I looked at routing the 4awg cable between the cylinders and thought there is a reason why not to do that. Heat soak is one, the fuel hose and smaller wiring going through there already pack everything pretty tight so why make it tighter still. Heat reduces the ampacity of wire amd that is probably one of the hottest places under the tank. Spent the morning routing the BAW (big ass wire) every way possible and then thought, why not run it up and behind the rubber shield forward of the tank and drop it down? Perfect. Not only are there no tight bends but the entire run is away from the hottest part of the engine too. To top it off, the BAW drops almost straight down to the grounding point of the left side of the front cylinder (as shown, lug not yet added).

As I do with all added wiring, it gets the heat shield slipped over the length of the wire. Marine lug connectors at both ends compression fit means an ingress proof wire run end to end. The wire lugs are sealed so the compression essentially makes the fine stranded wire solid, no soldering needed. The small extra length (inches) won't make any real difference but simplicity in wire routing and less heat will, especially for other wiring that would have gotten packed even closer together by going through the cylinders. I only wish I had thought about this way sooner.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by CapoEVT; 05-19-2018 at 09:01 PM.

New tyres on the bike. This time I´ve chosen Bridgestone Batlax A41 instead of Michelin Anakee III. It will be interesting to see the difference.
    Capo 2004 Flame red.
    MosFet RR, Eastern Beaver harnes, Metal fuel couplings, HyperPro rear spring, Ricor intiminators, Hepco Becker alu cases, GPS controlled ProOiler chain lube system, iridium sparkplugs, Garmin 660 SatNav, Aprilia heated grips, Aprilia chrash bars, Wilks sump guard, Brembo 4 pot brake mod, coils, screen mod, Aprilia hazard light, angle air valves, K&N airfilter, Catfish/Grant mapping, fixed internal side cases, Bagster tankcover and bag, Factoy Racing slave cluch.
    Yamaha XT 550 1983.
    Honda CX 500 1978. In bits and pieces.
    Honda NTV 650, 1994 SOLD

My capo has been lurking in the garage feeling unloved since the back end of last year due to weather, family issues and having other toys to play with so seeing as Mrs P and I are off on our travels around Europe again this year and both wanted to take the Capo I decided a couple of months ago to give it a mid life overhaul as its now 15 years old with over 65k miles on it.

So I sat down and made a list of all the jobs that I felt needed addressing with the bike and were either due now, had been put off previously or warranted attention based on a preventative maintenance basis, these have all now been done and include the list of tasks below:

Annual service
    New brake pads front and rear.
    Change brake and clutch fluid.
    New rear wheel bearings and seals.
    All new rear suspension linkage pins/bearings/seals.
    Replacement fuel filter and hoses.
    Cleaned out fuel tank vent nipples and replacement vent pipes encased in heat proof shielding as one of the old ones was melted by the exhaust!
    Repaired aftermarket hazard warning lamps and fitted audible relay
    Replaced battery cables with John Walker upgraded parts and also replaced 2 x 30a fuse holders that power bike with some more substantial ones.
    Removed my old day running lights and fitted two 6x Cree ones so even the most myopic of car drivers should be able to see me now!
    Stripped out front wheel to check bearings (these were replaced last year) and repainted front fork tubes.
    Took a brave pill and chiselled off fairing bolts who's rivnuts were spinning and fitted new nuts into the frame (is it only me that's had this issue?)

All of this took quite a while as I do have to work sometimes and family needs come first but as i have another bike it meant I didn't have to rush things and could walk away when frustrated to come back another time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	In bits.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	528.8 KB 
ID:	358498
    Mid way through the work.

Name:	Can you see me now....jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	527.0 KB 
ID:	358499
    Really bright DRL's now.

So today I finally rode the bike after months off the road and can say if felt and sounded great and if nothing else gives me confidence that for the foreseeable future I should be able to just throw my leg over it and ride without worrying about old age.....at least the bikes anyway!

Pugwash
    Remember, you cannot outrun a motorola!

2003 Caponord
    2007 FJR1300AS
    2010 KLX250

apriliaforum expert ravenranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skvrnsk View Post
    I have doubled fuel capacity for better mileage
    Attachment 357209
    Dang, that would have come in handy during the Iron Butt Rally.
    2006 Caponord • 1989 NX250
    IBA#22798 is now #580 • AMA#601202

apriliaforum expert the_toe_cutter's Avatar

Cool

Jesus Jim thats some extensive list, fair dues to you on a comprehensive sorting!!

Did a little bit of post Wales doo fettling. Installed db killers in the exhausts, got a touch exhausted by the thumping
    Greased all pivots and cleaned and oiled the chain. Set throttle freeplay and changed the rear pads. They were just shy of the backing plate lol gulp. Cleaned the caliper too obviously.
    Lastly i gave her my version of a good wash and acf'in and had a ride.
    The correct throttle freeplay and a well lubed and adjusted chain makes for seamless shifts up snd especially down the box.
    Just shy of 30k miles and shes as more fun than ever, really dig this old yoke

Brum Brum

Whoo hoo - got the canisterectomy done. Simple. Not an EFI light to be seen. Replaced all the aging vacuum hoses - good tip from Stu on the Honda fuel line. Fixed the issue of throttle not releasing on full left lock. It was the return cable adjustment down at the throttle body - oddly enough.

Easter Beaver - "cut out one headlight" wiring mod done as well. I did change the coolant at the start of this drydocking so will check tomorrow and top off if needed. Still need to sync the throttle bodies - I guess - everything seems pretty darn ok - and my motion pro manometer dried up so I need more fluid anyway - for another day.

I love this bike sometimes. Neglect it. Fuck around with it. Replumb it and turn the key, hit the starter and presto a start every time. Next go around though I will have to change front and rear cogs along with the chain. Even with the ZVM-X I put on almost 20k miles ago - I had to adjust it recently (first time since install) - so days are numbered. I think 5k more miles.

Edit: If I ever get my hands on the sadistic Italian fuck who decided the front coil mounting tray bolts belonged above the radiator I'm gonna end up on probation.
    06' Caponord

Great work Pugwash! I too had issues with one of those riv nuts. I slipped a feeler gauge behind the panel and levered it to give me enough friction/wedge the rivnut to all me to turn the hex bolt and get it out. Then I used a rivnut tool to tighten it or perhaps I fitted a new serrated one, can't remember now but it was a bugger to get off and involved a lot of cussing!!

Nice work TC, bikes looking good.

Matt that's some good mileage out of that chain, hope mine lasts that long!!

Mine is in desperate need of attention, oil change, brake pads and a good old clean after Wales, have flies splattered all over the front! Need to give the wheel nipples some tlc too. I think I ought to check out the rear linkages as a precaution also at some point. Otherwise it ran faultlessly in Wales apart from the infernal fuel level gauge which rarely works and isn't the connectors, rather the strips in the tank I believe have varnished or something as occasionally there is a range at which it works.
    2018 Ducati Diavel Diesel "Nel mezzo del cammin de nostra vita"
    2008 Caponord ETV 1000 ABS- "Il Capo"
    2002 Tuono 1000 RSV-R Limited Nr.035- "Hyperthrust Cleared and Counting..."
    1993 Ninja ZXR750R "NinjaR!!"
    1992 Ducati 907IE "Il nostro passato ha un grande futuro"
    1986 Katana GSX750SE "The unbelievable Pop Kat"

Well today I sorted out my heated grips, hardly ever use these and when I tried them in Scotland the other week they didn't even try to work.

Long story short issue was a corroded in line fuse that feeds the controller however the location of said fuse beggared belief, was it fed off the battery - no, was it fed off the fuse box in the dash - no, was it fed off the ignition - no. In fact some hero had installed the grips and tapped into the main wiring loom and fitted a fuse ...........beneath where the front brown connector is (was on my bike) and cable-tied the fuse beneath the loom meaning only was to access it was by removing the fuel tank!

I have owned the bike over 10 years and never noticed this when I worked on it and as the grips were fitted when I bought the bike and have worked fine until now never looked to see where they were wired in, so anyway I have now wired the grips into the auxiliary fuse box I fitted under rider seat to power accessories on my bike meaning access is now a doddle.

Good job I like a challenge 'eh!

Pugwash
    Remember, you cannot outrun a motorola!

2003 Caponord
    2007 FJR1300AS
    2010 KLX250

While waiting for my stator to be rewound I bought brand new Shindengen FH008 and made this little modification to replace its thin backplate with something more useful. Fits snugly under the side panel without cutting it.
    I'm not a big fan of putting R/R on the outside since there's no good place for it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FY3MKNteqvnUqyTc9

It's amazing how good I am at procrastination. Bike's been down for 5 months for really not much. Started to slowly button her back up. Soldered the 12v bullet connection for the dash aux (that I should have done long ago). Gave the oil tank a first rub with steel wool for a touch up paint job before I stick the side plastics back on - too dark now.

Everything else going to plan. Pick up the new car tomorrow - have had two new vehicles totaled this year, my 2015 4Runner and a 2018 Subaru Outback. Replacement car finally arrived the dealership so I'm heading over tomorrow to pick it up - i just hope there is no time wasting BS.
    06' Caponord

apriliaforum newb
    Today the Desert Rat got new LED indicators (GS1200R-lookalikes), LED extra highbeam headlights an GPS (Garmin Zümo 350LM).
    Hopefully the new, brownsmoke, windshield will arrive as well.
    So now the bike is getting ready for a couple of small vacation trips in the Swedish summer heat.. =)

Name:	IMG_20180718_124558.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	539.8 KB 
ID:	363048Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180718_1246352.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	541.0 KB 
ID:	363053Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180719_215925.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	481.7 KB 
ID:	363054
    VFR800-01 + Z1000-03 + Intruder M800-07 + KLX650R-98 + CAPONORD RALLY-03 + SprintRS-00

Page 290 of 292 FirstFirst ... 190240280288289290291292 LastLast