Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STM Slipper Clutch Installation...

STM Slipper Clutch Installation...

I installed my STM slipper clutch last night, and did a little step-by-step for the how-to thread. I'm starting this thread for comments / corrections so that the how-to thread doesn't get loaded with comments that shouldn't be there.

Please provide any corrections or additions that are found or needed so that I can correct the file.

STM_Clutch_Install.pdf

Instructions that came with the slipper:

Aprilia SXV 4.5 Evoluzione 853749.pdf
    Last edited by SXVINWA; 02-08-2013 at 11:04 AM.

Excellent job on your write up and pictures.

Very nice. Your help is much appreciated (i also read your xv tuner cable pdf).

Just out of curiosity: why you preferred the method to lay down the bike? An gearbox oil change isn't that bad

Your guide can also be used to change clutch disks, OEM drum or for the installation of another brand slipper clutch.

I chose to lay the bike down not only to eliminate the need for draining the oil, but to make the assembly process easier... less chance of dropping small parts and chasing them around the room if I could just "stack" parts up as I progressed. This was my first time inside the engine covers; I wanted it to go as smoothly as possible.

I'm hoping this can help somebody else with an installation in the future, and also allow somebody with more experience to red flag it if I did something wrong!

apriliaforum Member
    Hmmm, you're link won't open

Quote Originally Posted by darkside View Post
    Hmmm, you're link won't open
    It works for me: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19471558/STM_Clutch_Install.pdf

Great write up as usual SXVINWA! (and quite handy as I also have an STM slipper )

apriliaforum Member
    Great write up. I'm up in Vancouver Canada but get down to Wa often for the shopping savings so wouldn't mind picking up the STM down there if the price was right Where did you get yours from? I've only had my SXV a few days and already I can see that matching revs on downshifts with no flywheel effect at all is going to get tired fast. Would be nice to just bash away at the lever and let the STM work it out. What 's the general cost for them these days. Pardon if there's a flurry of spazzy post from me on the forums but I'm highly stoke to finally have one of these under my roof. Or as you Americans say it, roof.

cheers,

T

Quote Originally Posted by SXVINWA View Post
    I chose to lay the bike down not only to eliminate the need for draining the oil, but to make the assembly process easier... less chance of dropping small parts and chasing them around the room if I could just "stack" parts up as I progressed. This was my first time inside the engine covers; I wanted it to go as smoothly as possible.

I'm hoping this can help somebody else with an installation in the future, and also allow somebody with more experience to red flag it if I did something wrong!

Fair enough.

Just to help someone else, with different clutch setup (or even the OEM one- mine is a hinson/suter), where a clutch hub locking tool is required. My DIY tool for locking the center nut.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09023.JPG 
Views:	265 
Size:	383.9 KB 
ID:	213217

Name:	DSC09025.JPG 
Views:	2451 
Size:	411.2 KB 
ID:	213218

Name:	DSC09029.JPG 
Views:	567 
Size:	400.4 KB 
ID:	213220

Name:	DSC09028.JPG 
Views:	437 
Size:	397.8 KB 
ID:	213219

And, because a picture is a thousand words, here is the link of fabricating one. Sorry its in greek
    http://www.apriliabikers.gr/portal/i...?topic=15371.0

apriliaforum Member
    Genius!

Quote Originally Posted by stueysdad View Post
    Great write up. I'm up in Vancouver Canada but get down to Wa often for the shopping savings so wouldn't mind picking up the STM down there if the price was right Where did you get yours from? I've only had my SXV a few days and already I can see that matching revs on downshifts with no flywheel effect at all is going to get tired fast. Would be nice to just bash away at the lever and let the STM work it out. What 's the general cost for them these days. Pardon if there's a flurry of spazzy post from me on the forums but I'm highly stoke to finally have one of these under my roof. Or as you Americans say it, roof.

cheers,

T
    I had Allen send me one from Noland Trans-World Cycle; I didn't get it locally. The going rate these days seems to be between $1050 and $1150 USD.

Quote Originally Posted by bros400pgm View Post
    Fair enough.

Just to help someone else, with different clutch setup (or even the OEM one- mine is a hinson/suter), where a clutch hub locking tool is required. My DIY tool for locking the center nut.
    Nice clutch tool... I wanted to build one similar to that, but didn't have the clutch parts to make one with. Still don't have any parts to make one with; maybe next year.

Edit... If it's o.k. with you, I'd like to add one of your pics to the .pdf as an example of what tool should be used for the disassembly process. Let me know if you're o.k. with that.
    Last edited by SXVINWA; 02-05-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Great procedure. Used my left over 05 Honda CRF 450 STM and followed these instructions and boo yaaaa it's in. I have the spacer coming from AF1 as I had to grind down the cover to make it work properly. No I wish we could find a better way to use the Magura hydraulic clutch with it and not have it burn up next to my Arrow pipe.

Thanks for all the info!

Quote Originally Posted by SXVINWA View Post

Edit... If it's o.k. with you, I'd like to add one of your pics to the .pdf as an example of what tool should be used for the disassembly process. Let me know if you're o.k. with that.

Go ahead

Thanks; pic has been added...

malone738- I believe grinding down the cover is not recommended since the inner ramp is for directing the oil. You might want to get a new cover with the spacer.
    SXV > Sex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast