Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: San Diego rides

San Diego rides

Just moved to San Diego, would like to know if there's any riders who don't mind a Brutale tagging along (used to be an Aprilia owner). It's always much easier to figure out the roads by riding with the locals.

Planning on riding Sat morning possibly starting from San Diego, going up to Carlsbad, thru Fallbrook to Murrieta.

Potere
    potere - italian for power
    have M1 permit, will travel

Saw a Tuono today on Balboa, guess he's not on the forum..

Ping SoulDaddy, he's the social butterfly of SD county...

apriliaforum prov-nov MonsterMachine's Avatar
    I'm at Palomar almost every Sunday morning. I will be there tomorrow as long as it's not raining, forecast says 50% chance.

apriliaforum Member
    I was just out today with a buddy on his S1000R. I don't get out nearly as much as I should but definitely try.

Are you familiar with the local roads? Highland Valley, Banner Grade, Montezuma, Palomar, etc?

james

Quote Originally Posted by hank View Post
    Ping SoulDaddy, he's the social butterfly of SD county...
    I'll do that, thx.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMachine View Post
    I'm at Palomar almost every Sunday morning. I will be there tomorrow as long as it's not raining, forecast says 50% chance.
    Meaning you begin there? I've seen a ride posted TO there from the PCH, will eventually get up there from S.D. Details on your ride?

I doubt I'll be out with a 50% chance, really hate the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by james_g View Post
    I was just out today with a buddy on his S1000R. I don't get out nearly as much as I should but definitely try.

Are you familiar with the local roads? Highland Valley, Banner Grade, Montezuma, Palomar, etc?

james
    I don't know any of the roads, this is my 1st weekend here actually. Went to Cameron Corners this morning to begin on 94, nice ride once you're past Jamul, but WOW, the border patrol is all over that section. Do they have radar and give tickets? And then when pulling out of the Chevron at Cameron Corners, about 30 Harleys come down from the S1 before I can get out of the driveway. Had to pass them all and it took awhile. They were cooperative about it thank goodness.

Gonna ride next weekend if it isn't burning hot.

I'm up for a meet-up, just post here.

apriliaforum Member
    The Border Patrol aren't going to ticket you. I suppose they could call in the CHP if you were really hauling but that's never happened to me.

What part of town are you coming from? I haven't ridden 94 in years and typically stay up north but you can hit all of the same roads going from 94 through Mt Laguna up through Julian, etc.

james

Thx for the B.P. info, don't want to spend the night in detention in spite of the fact that I speak Spanish.

I'm very close to Qualcom. Those roads up north sound like the right way to go. Probably should follow the first time though rather than go solo.

Quote Originally Posted by potere View Post

Meaning you begin there? I've seen a ride posted TO there from the PCH, will eventually get up there from S.D. Details on your ride?

I doubt I'll be out with a 50% chance, really hate the rain.
    I'm in Temecula so I just head South through the reservations and I'm there in 20 minutes.

It's raining like a mofo, no riding today. LMK if you want to hit Palomar next Sunday. When it cools off next month or so Montezuma is pretty epic. I just don't like going out there when it's hot, the bottom of the hill is in Borrego Springs desert.

Here is an old map that shows every road you need to know. It's old but still relevant. Scroll to the bottom of the page. http://www.pashnit.com/maps4/OrtegaHighwayMaps.htm

muchas gracias for the map, MM.

raining here too today. Next Sunday is forecast at 91. So far in my first week here, the weatherman has been about 5-10 too low on everyday, I doubt my blood will have thinned that much in 2 weeks to take that much heat. I ride in full leathers.

apriliaforum Member
    You'll get used to it. There's a lot of places to stop for a break and get hydrated.

james

Quote Originally Posted by potere View Post
    muchas gracias for the map, MM.

raining here too today. Next Sunday is forecast at 91. So far in my first week here, the weatherman has been about 5-10 too low on everyday, I doubt my blood will have thinned that much in 2 weeks to take that much heat. I ride in full leathers.
    The trick is you need to ride after the spandex mafia and before the stupid starts and the heat. It's about a 2.5 hour window on Sunday mornings.

LOL
    spandex mafia = road bicyclers who take up the whole lane and leave the bike lanes empty
    stupid = everyone else??

Raining today, Monday and work starts tomorrow, so Sat is the next target.

There used to be a bike night in Little Itlay (down by the airport).

Ping Soul Daddy or EvanDewan for connections. Both are great guys.

Go to Julian from I-8. Less people on that side. Great apple pie at the top.

It's about time for a forum dinner ride, we haven't done one in a couple years. I'm off on vacation till the 21st, after that I'll post one. Apriliabob, Souldaddy. Evandewan, etc, (the usual gang of misfits), plus anyone else who wants to show.
    I usually lead a conservative speed (ie, QUIET) GP du Rauncho Santa Fe followed by a not so quiet dinner at an Genuwine Eyetalian eat'n place somewhere in/near Encinitas. Actually all the restaurants in Encinitas are trendy high end places these days, so........wear shoes.
    A finish is a win! Moderation is the key! More wine!
    And never lend a faggot your hat

Proud Member of Team Punisher and The Texas Mile 200 MPH club
    Motorcycles are not just fun toys. They are a catalyst for the enjoyment of life. - NaimChase
    When you ride a bike that tries to crawl out from underneath you at 150MPH with a slight twist you know you're on the right path. - TRexRacing

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast