Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rain Mode and GEAR

OK, all I've done so far is look at the first seven minutes of the vid. There is obviously the translation problem, (Jude is asleep next to me so the sound is off on my iPad. I daren't wake the kraken!) but the cues from PADS and the symptoms are identical to those I had with the bike I had recently with a buggered potentiometer. The tool seems to be saying as much with the two top fault codes, can't remember what the other one is but I had it too on the bike that was giving me kittens.

What seems to happen is that if the TCU gets a signal outside of what it expects from the wear potentiometer is cracks a shitty and turns the E-CVT servo motor off. This in turn triggers the 'Gear' warning and because the pulley stops variating the clutch can't disengage so you continue to get drive even when the motor is idling.

I couldn't believe the tool was telling me the belt wear potentiometer was ratshit because it did work periodically. Electrical components tend to work or not work, not sit on the fence occasionally giving you the finger! I also found another, mechanical, issue which further muddied the waters but in the end the tool spoke the truth. The wear potentiometer had gone to potentiometer heaven! I bought a new one, did the belt and potentiometer re-training routine and it was all golden!

Took me a while to get there though!

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum newb
    Good morning, not if you will serve. But no official statement from Aprilia in which when a bug GEAR text on the screen, you have to always reset the internal memory of the bike (with machine workshop Aprilia). No serves a manual reset, entering us by the dashboard of the bike. Since the error can be played back without any real error. My experience was that had an error "GEAR" almost every 2000 Km. This error is caused my worn battery. The reset before changing and I returned the error appears. Replace the battery and returned to reset. Now I have 5000 km without any error. Remember that due to the amount of electronics having our bike is very sensitive to electrical problems and voltage drops. If you have a bike with a battery with more than 5 years, I recommend that the battery be changed if such errors appear.

apriliaforum prov-nov SoCal Gzr's Avatar
    Here is my two cents,
    I have had similar sporadic issues in automotive and aerospace electrical equipment that can drive you crazy. If the components checkout OK look at the connectors to see if they are in good shape and clean. Get some contact cleaner and spray it in the connectors per the instructions(do it outside as the stuff has things that are not good to breathe). I suspect that many of the connectors on a motorcycle being exposed to all kinds of crud would benefit from this procedure. Then sealing them with Pete's "gorilla snot" will keep them clean.
    I bet the belt potentiometer sees a lot of debris.
    On batteries cleaning the posts and connectors is essential as MADTMADT stated above.
    Contact cleaner is available at most auto supply stores and Walmarts
    Good luck,
    Bob

apriliaforum newb
    Thank you very much! I will check everything.

apriliaforum newb
    One more recommendation that appeared in the Spanish Forum Aprilia Mana. A companion was solved by adjusting to the correct torque the belt diverter. Since no pressure to correct deviation and the computer gave error. As our colleague says first is to make sure that all connections are correct (including the potentiometer which controls the position of the belt), then fatter things like batteries, belt, etc ... Especially it is important the issue of resetting the unit whenever any improvement is made, because as said an official communication from Aprilia: ghost the control unit can give errors if errors had stored for this reason (at least that told me in the official dealer).
    a greeting

apriliaforum newb
    Hi everyone, Iíve been reading various threads and posts in the forum about the GEAR warning on screen plus the red triangle and jumping to rain mode. I have a 2009 Aprilia Mana 850 and Iíve been having this problem except itís not one in a while itís often and bike shuts off also kind of like it lost power. I read many of the posts but it seems like thereís not one exact solution to this problem or has anyone figured it out? Bike only has 4K miles. I am currently living in a country with no Aprilia dealership. Thanks for any help!

apriliaforum newb
    Well last week while I was riding to work my 2012 Mana GT backfired on me while rolling down a hill using the engine braking when I notest it had switch from Touring mode into Rain mode and the ABS light was on as I pulled up to a set of traffic lights I turned it off waited a few seconds and started it again only to have the same problem as it wouldn't change out of Rain mode so I limped it work.. That afternoon here I was thinking it's going to be a slow ride home some 16.5 kms away and when I start it I held the gear mode button down and it switched into Sports Gear mode and then into Touring mode and ran perfectly all the way home without a hiccup.. Now I have just spent a lot of money getting the gearbox belt and the sliders replaced as well as a 3,000 km tune up just over a month ago only to have this happen..

A sudden event like that and my first thought would be to check both the battery terminals and the earth lead mount.

Given the recent work done on the bike it is quite likely that the battery leads may of been disturbed. If there is corrosion or a bad contact it may cause a sudden, momentary, loss of power and in virtually all cases where that occurs you'll find that the TCU will throw into 'Rain' mode. The ABS light suddenly coming on also adds to my suspicions.

If the 'Tune up' involved getting the valve lash done then the battery will of had to come out. If it didn't there isn't really a lot to 'Tune up'. The TPS on the single TB shouldn't change, there are no air bleeds to balance, there are no new maps available through PADS. I wonder what this 'Tune up' actually involved?

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234