Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rain Mode and GEAR

Which would indicate what? A quick search of the forum will show you the most likely reason. Its not a big deal but its better to get to it before it plays havoc with the variator threads.

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

Well unfortunately you will need to either find someone competent to rectify the problem or tackle it yourself. The biggest issue will be getting the TCU and wear potentiometer re-trained after belt replacement. This needs special electronic tooling to do.

I'm sorry but Lomza is not a location I'm familiar with. Where in the world is it?

Pete

The most likely cause is that the threads on the front variator hub are inadequately greased so the variator is not moving as it should. This means that the TCU, the Transmission Control Unit, the computer that controls the variable drive is getting messages from the speedometer and wear potentiometer sensors that won't correspond with what it thinks the readings should be. It therefore throws up the 'Gear' and possibly the 'Belt' warnings.

Depending on how many Kms the belt has done it may or may not be due for replacement, the problem is that if the variator is disassembled and re-greased it is almost certain that the wear potentiometer and drive parameter functions will have to be re-set, (Yes, that is done with Texa TXB/Navigator or PADS.) and doing this with a part worn belt can produce problems in the future.

My apologies for the confusion over your location. I am not very familiar with Polish geography.

Pete

I guess it’s that time of the month for the Mana’s. Same thing happened to me. Last Thursday I was riding in “Touring” mode and stopped at a red light and got “GEAR” message and red triangle sign came on. Pulled over a few times turned the bike off, but as soon as I hit 40km/hr it bucked into GEAR mode. I just stopped at a coffee shop for 30mins, restarted this time I put in tin RAIN mode and I managed to make it home at a slow pace.

Rode for the 1st time today and within 15 mins all below 30km/hr the “GEAR” message and red triangle sign came on.

Heading to the dealership tomorrow.

apriliaforum Member
    please don't forget to share results of your visit !!!

Really, when this happens it is truly unwise to continue riding as the damage will be compounded by further use. Catch it early and the threads may be salvageable. Try to keep riding it and they will gall up irretrievably. Those bits aren't cheap!

Pete

apriliaforum Member
    btw, i was reading on italian mana forum about the same problem, but then dealership just retrained the potentiometer and issue was solved...

and actually GEAR problem is not very common there while here every other MANA 2009 soon or late getting to then this issue.
    I am curious if they have bike assembled differently for local market then for US market ?!

In my case GEAR issue happening only in traffic when i have to stop-move-stop-move for a while.

It might be that temperature is getting higher which might reduce some tolerances and requires better greasing, but on another hand grease should get less viscous and do a better lubrication....
    Anyway i am going to open it and see but still waiting for o-rings. And now even thinking on buying crank-shaft tool ($200+ )

Which tool? The locking tool? Its really not necessary if you've got access to a rattle-gun. I'd lend you mine but in the last year I've had one special tool I lent out never returned and two ECU's I sent out as exchanges not come back, one of them I saw later on ebay in the US which I thought was a pretty low act but it does mean I no longer loan tools, sorry.

Send me the full cost of the tool as a deposit and pay the postage and a case of beer and I'll post it over and return the deposit when the tool comes back but no freebies I'm afraid.

Pete

apriliaforum prov-nov
    My 2009 is showing the same "Rain" & "Gear"

It is due for the 20k service and is sitting in my garage waiting for the parts (see other thread/rant)

The service will include the belt change/transmission service.
    2009 Mana 850
    2005 RS Warrior 1700

apriliaforum Member
    Hey Pete. I sent you a message.

apriliaforum newb
    gwilo

how to replace the belt is the problem themselves disappear? will need to connect to a computer? what they said in the service?

Gimme a couple of days, I'll reply. I'm on holiday at the moment and can't send the tool until I'm home anyway.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by wilku View Post
    gwilo

how to replace the belt is the problem themselves disappear? will need to connect to a computer? what they said in the service?
    Replacing the belt won't solve the problem. That requires greasing of the threads on the hub. Thing is unless the TCU and potentiometer are re-trained the system may not function correctly and re-training with a part worn belt may result in other problems later.

Pete

apriliaforum Member
    Pete,
    sure, any way i have to wait for o-rings to arrive. Enjoy your holiday!
    Victor.

apriliaforum newb
    I have a problem. I took the motorcycle to the site because jumped Mi BELT mistake and entered RAIN mode with a red triangle. When you connect your computer and remove errors sewisie motorcycle had only one gear and began to slide bar in the box. They found that the computer is burned. When you connect a new computer, bike reacts, but it is still a single gear. They said that this could be the cause of the poor condition of the drive wheels and the gentle curve of play on the shaft in the gearbox. Is this true? Maybe there are some other reasons? Sorry for the spelling, but I'm using the translator.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast