Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rain Mode and GEAR

Rain Mode and GEAR

I was waiting to see how soon this will happen, since a number of folks here have encountered the issue. My 2009 has only 1785 miles on it. Today I was running a bunch of errands in the city and she was fine. I stopped for a slice of pizza and a soda, no more than 25 minutes, I come back, start the engine and the second stop light I feel the engine idle change. I look at the screen Rain Mode, GEAR and the red triangle warning light lit. I look at it and think "didn't take you too long to dampen my enjoyment of this bike". I rode for another 2 miles, stopped at a store for no more than 3 minutes. Turned it back on, GEAR was gone and I was able to set it back to Touring Mode. Now I have not ridden the bike in the past 2 months 'cause of surgery. And no, I couldn't see the error code 'cause it was asking me for some other code I had no clue of. That being said I got three questions:
    1. Could this issue also be cause by it just sitting around ?
    2. Is there a solution to this issue?
    3. Was it ok that I continued on for 2 more miles and not stopped immediately?

Thanks

I wouldn't worry about it at all. This happens from time to time with the bike, it's just a sensor freaking out, it happens to all Manas. Next time shut the bike off and restart it, 99% it'll be back to normal. No damage done with riding the 2 miles, most likely not caused by the bike sitting around. From my, and other peoples experiences, it seems to happen more in stop and go traffic.

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650 ABS (current)
    1987 Harley Davidson Lowrider Sport (current)
    2009 Aprilia Mana
    2006 Suzuki SV 650
    1984 Yamaha Virago
    1975 Yamaha YZ80 - 1972 Honda Z50 - 1971 Honda QA50

apriliaforum Member
    It's got something to do with stop and go traffic and the speed sensor registering speed late on mine, but no clue why its doing it.
    I can make it do it on my neighborhood street anytime I want. Stop, and go about 5mph then stop. Do this 7 or 8 times in a row and its in gear and rain mode. Also - the whole time when your less than 10 it will stay on a reading of 0

apriliaforum prov-nov
    had this happen too, during extensive stop-and-go. rode for another seven miles no prob, although rain mode feels like i'm driving a two-wheeled tractor. got to my space, turned the engine/power off and back on, rain mode was gone and I flipped back to sport. warning indicator is still on, but whatever. seems to be the stop-and-go braking (plus precipitation level??) that sets the sensor off?
    --
    2014 aprilia tuono v4r
    2014 triumph tiger 800xc

apriliaforum Member
    Castellan, if you take off but go less than 10mph does it register a reading at all on the speed or stay at 0 until you get moving and then jump up to 15 or so mph?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    seems to hover indeterminately around 10, actually. i'll take a closer look, but usually when i'm going that speed i'm eyeballing up the street to see why we're crawling at 0-10 ;-)
    --
    2014 aprilia tuono v4r
    2014 triumph tiger 800xc

You all seem to experience this problem in 'Stop go traffic' when I experienced it I'd been travelling at a steady speed of 80mph on a dual carriage way for over 60 miles.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Castellan View Post
    seems to hover indeterminately around 10, actually. i'll take a closer look, but usually when i'm going that speed i'm eyeballing up the street to see why we're crawling at 0-10 ;-)
    On your neighborhood street give it enough gas to get it moving less than 10mph and see if it ever registers any speed at all. Thats when mine will do this. About 10 starts at slow slow speeds with no speedo reading and your in GEAR / RAIN mode with the triangle blinking.

Just having a squizz through the Serviceaprilia site to see what's new and found this.

http://www.serviceaprilia.com/public...n/007-2012.pdf

Most of it is only relevant to service agents and dealers but scroll down to page seven.

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum Member
    Thanks Pete - I am going to forward this to my dealer and ask them what they think.

Quote Originally Posted by acworthpatrick View Post
    Thanks Pete - I am going to forward this to my dealer and ask them what they think.
    They should have access to the serviceaprilia site. It's about the second current bulletin. Basically it sounds like a speedo sensor issue. Warranty or they won't be an expensive item.

Pete

apriliaforum Member
    I am hoping they will cover it, but yeah if not it shouldn't be expensive.

Fifty bux or so I'd reckon going on the cost of similar bits of shit for Guzzis.

Pete

apriliaforum newb
    My Mana had same GEAR mode problem, but it would stay in Gear mode and I'd have to have a mechanic fix it. 5 times now! On the fifth time after telling the mechanic that it can't possibly be a mechanical issue and that I would NOT pay for the same repair a 5th time they took a deeper look. Turns out a sensor wire was hanging low and touching a cylinder wall which is HOT. They moved the wire and heat wrapped it and the issue went away for 4 months. However just yesterday if went into GEAR mode again, turning it on/off reset it this time.

apriliaforum Member
    this has happened twice in 21000k on my 09 mana. First was at 3000k just after a speedy 10 minute ride down the trans Canada. pulled off at dealer and stopped for 30 minutes came out and bike in rain mode for one block. Next after a really hot ride in Montana behind a line of traffic heading down a steep hill, switched from tour to rain/gear and thankfully didn't go over the handlebars. shutdown and counted to ten and off I wwnt

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast