Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EFI light flashes for a short period when riding then normal again

apriliaforum newb
    Excellent, I really appreciate your help!

Off to the local Halfords for bolts and blue loctite ..

Thanks again

Never knew that. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Borchert View Post
    Turn on the ignition, then wait for the self-test to complete. Once the lights go out, it's party time.

Bob
    I've had my Fut since 2010 and this is the first I've heard of a starting procedure. I'll have to try it. I have a flashing EFI light as well. Comes and goes. It seems to kick in after I've been riding at a steady speed for a while and then back off throttle. It'll blink for a minute or two and then go out.
    StreetCred

2003 Silver, wiring mod, fuel line mod, de-restricted airbox, HoMade exhaust.

apriliaforum prov-nov PaydayGabe's Avatar
    Afternoon folks,,,
    I just returned from a trip to Laughlin Nv. from my pad in Boulder City.
    164 total miles.
    On the return, outside air temp was 109deg, traveling at 80mph.
    EFI begins blinking at 4k rpm on up.
    Stops blinking under 4k rpm.
    No fuel delivery issue, great power all the way to redline.
    Last tank load I had 48+ mpg.
    She's a runner!
    But the blinky lamp is annoying.
    I was thinking,, maybe the Throttle Position sensor?? Or something with the Tach? Or the Wheel speed sensor?
    I don't know?
    I did the capacitors in the dashboard earlier this year with great success.
    What say you, Futura guru's? ?
    Have a great weekend and Ride Safe. G. In BCNV.

apriliaforum expert thesprocket26's Avatar
    What coils are you using on the spark plugs? if its Denso, thats they way they behave.
    If your idea of sport-touring is multi-position seats, cruise control and electrically-adjustable windshields, youíre probably not Italian and you donít deserve a Futura. - Kevin Duke

2001 RST1000 Futura - GSXR coil mod, Magnecore HT leads, Honda reg/rec mod, custom built twin tail mufflers, LED high beams, LED front turn lamps, LED rear brake and turn lamps, Oxford heated grips, Oberon clutch slave, fancy blue hardware bits, air horn mod, pannier stainless cable retention mod, large Odyssey battery mod, 05 fuel map

I've been dealing with a blinking EFI light since I picked my bike up. Turns out one of the spark wires had just popped loose. I re-seated it and all's well for the past 500 miles now...

Quote Originally Posted by dasrider View Post
    I've been dealing with a blinking EFI light since I picked my bike up. Turns out one of the spark wires had just popped loose. I re-seated it and all's well for the past 500 miles now...

Thanks to you both for the reply.
    The machine is wearing the Denso/Magnacor/ NGK Iridium plugs conversion. Runs Terrific!
    Besides the blinky blink.
    I Thought it was heat related, as it's pretty hot around these parts(Southern Nv.). As I mentioned earlier, the flashing is totally random, , various RPM levels, day or night.
    I'll check the plug wires asap, but is this fixable or do I just cover the lamp with the old black tape trick and just ride? Thank again Gentlemen,, ride safe. G.

have you plugged the diagnostic wires together to see if a code has been stored? If nothing was stored, you can ride with them connected and maybe you'll see a code pop up above 4k.

Sounds like it's running well enough to not be a coil/spark problem, so might just be a non OE coil issue the ECU is seeing as a fault.

Don't cover the light. You'll never know when it's not a false alarm.

Thanks for your time RAS. Hope all is well w/you.
    I will do the diagnostics plug also when I check the coil/ plug wires. Full load of fuel at the moment. Plus hot as hell. Ugh.

It's plenty hot here as well (my outside thermometer says 93 in the shade and steamy humid), but not likely close to the afterburner heat you've got in Las Vegas.

You can do those diagnostic plug w/o lifting the tank - just have to remove the seat. Might want to take an umbrella if it's outside in the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by PaydayGabe View Post
    Thanks to you both for the reply.
    The machine is wearing the Denso/Magnacor/ NGK Iridium plugs conversion. Runs Terrific!
    Besides the blinky blink.
    I Thought it was heat related, as it's pretty hot around these parts(Southern Nv.). As I mentioned earlier, the flashing is totally random, , various RPM levels, day or night.
    I'll check the plug wires asap, but is this fixable or do I just cover the lamp with the old black tape trick and just ride? Thank again Gentlemen,, ride safe. G.
    Same with mine, except copper/nickel plugs.

I got it to code by duplicating flash in the bay with diagnostic connector shorted, set a coil code. It was a poor primary connection at the coil flagged, and a new terminal inside coil primary connector fixed it.
    No Matter Where You Are, There You Go!

apriliaforum newb
    I recently started getting some EFI flashing and it was code 36. Before I rushed into coil replacement I replaced the battery since I knew it was weak. After two days of riding with the new battery the EFI light has gone back to sleep. Feels better too, that weak battery was ready to go.

apriliaforum Member
    I am also experiencing the blinking EFI light with a bad charging system, and the codes say coils (eh?). Weak electrical systems definitely seem to make the Denso coil'ed bikes blink their EFI more often, especially when hot. I have an R/R here for replacement, so we'll see.

Yep, the flashing EFI is part of the Sagem ECU's logic, it's similar to automotive EFI. The flashing light occurs when a power balance issue is the culprit, and this is ignition relate in most cases. The Sagem uses feedback from the coil primaries to determine a misfire condition, and not crankshaft angular velocity.

The latest Bosch systems have small pits covering the entire crankshaft rotation. The computer watches the rate of change following each combustion event, and the acceleration of the crankshaft. The Sagem uses feedback from the coils. A weak cylinder gives less kick to that rotation.

If you use TuneECU, there's a hint to the logic used, you'll see four dancing voltages in the interface on the left side of the screen.

Bob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12