Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EFI light flashes for a short period when riding then normal again

EFI light flashes for a short period when riding then normal again

Hi all,

Another EFI thread, I know! I've recently a few issues with the futura, mainly another rectifier failing and blowing the 30 amp main fuse. I've replaced the rectifier and also have fixed soldered joints rather than the brown plug, and all seemed fine. About a week ago I started getting my EFI light flashing when riding the bike shortly after I'd left my house. The flashing lasted for a for 20 to 30 seconds before it went off again, however no fault code when I plugged in the diagnostic. I decided to ride the bike in diagnostic mode the next day for a short period and saw nothing reported other than the stand '1' indicated for the TPS. The strange thing is it only seems to hapen infrequently when started from cold, and doesn't seem to happen when the bike is started from warm.

I've also not noticed any significant drop off in power or fuel consumption. Most threads appear to be related to a faulty coil, however I replaced all the coils with the aftermarket ones (set-up within the forum) approx 18 months back. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Alan
    2003 Futura with Quill EVOII end cans, H-pipe, Power Commander III 108bhp @wheel
    2001 RSVR with Aprilia shotgun II exhaust, Aprilia race chip, Power Commander III 128bhp @wheel
    1985 GSXR1100 with 1109 weisco oversized pistons and liners, dyna coils, k-tech race CDI, Stage III dynojet, Ohlins rear shock, GSXR1100 WT front forks, GSXR1100 M front and rear wheels, 134bhp @wheel
    http://barnfindmotorcycle.com

If you have TuneEcu check the historic faults.

Otherwise I recommend to disconnect the coils one by one with a running engine and check that they are all working.
    I have written the procedure so many times so search for it with my sig.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC 320mm brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch.
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

You might also want to check the standing battery voltage and volatge right after the cold start-up.. If your battery has a weak cell, the current draw from the starter will leave the voltage a bit low and this might kick up the warning. After the bike runs for a min or so and the battery gets a good charge from your new R/R, it stops flashing. The hot start ups are done before the battery's voltage drops back down from sitting

apriliaforum prov-nov Industrialex's Avatar
    I've had similar problems twice with the EFI light coming on. On both occasions, replacing the battery rectified it.
    Flame Red Futura

Bike: Factory Standard
    Rider: Too many modifications to list

Quote Originally Posted by Industrialex View Post
    I've had similar problems twice with the EFI light coming on. On both occasions, replacing the battery rectified it.
    totally unrelated but I love your profile picture alex

Thanks for all the comments.

It's a bit strange but hasn't happend recently, however I've decided to buy the ECU cable to use TuneECU so I can review the fault code log. I'm also wondering if the issue could be related to a bad earth connection? I've seen the earth connection to the left hand frame rail above the rectifier, however I don't know where the earth strap is located on the engine, does anyone have a pic showing it?

Cheers,

Alan
    2003 Futura with Quill EVOII end cans, H-pipe, Power Commander III 108bhp @wheel
    2001 RSVR with Aprilia shotgun II exhaust, Aprilia race chip, Power Commander III 128bhp @wheel
    1985 GSXR1100 with 1109 weisco oversized pistons and liners, dyna coils, k-tech race CDI, Stage III dynojet, Ohlins rear shock, GSXR1100 WT front forks, GSXR1100 M front and rear wheels, 134bhp @wheel
    http://barnfindmotorcycle.com

the engine grounds are on the sides towards the back. I can never remember which is for the battery and which is for the R/R. The right side one is easier to see. It hides behind the overflow tank for the radiator. You have to loosen it's mounts to see it. There are 2 wires on this bolt. The one on the left is a bit tougher to find. You have to look straight in between the frame and (iirc the upper edge of)the horizontal portion of the oil fill tube. That one will take a long extension with a 5mm(?) hex socket on a 1/4 drive wrench to reach.

I had a hard time getting mine good and tight until I backed the screws out a bit and sprayed some contact cleaner with a lubricant on them. Seems the threads or lugs were binding a bit. That was a few years ago and have had no electrical issues since.

Quote Originally Posted by bigaprilia View Post
    Thanks for all the comments.

It's a bit strange but hasn't happend recently, however I've decided to buy the ECU cable to use TuneECU so I can review the fault code log. I'm also wondering if the issue could be related to a bad earth connection? I've seen the earth connection to the left hand frame rail above the rectifier, however I don't know where the earth strap is located on the engine, does anyone have a pic showing it?

Cheers,

Alan

apriliaforum expert Powerful Pierre's Avatar
    I've had this happen on odd occasions over the years and I've put it down to being too impatient with the start procedure and not letting the bike do its cycle before hitting the start button....every time I've stopped the bike and gone thro' the start process again and its been fine.

I've had this happen on both my Fut's and both were shorts on rear thermistor right at the connector.
    2007 Tuono 1000R Factory - 22K miles
    Cored OE Racing CansMap2Pazzo Shorty Knock-offs15-40AF1 Link PlatesAprilia Sliders
    Laminar WindscreenLowered PegsLED City and Tag Lights
    ProTaper Universal LowClear Signal Lenses

2017 Z125 PRO in Candy Lime Green
    Many mods

2001 Futura in Silver - Sold, after 8.5 years of service.

Retired - DJ, Turntablist, MC, Creator, Video Editor and Mixologist.
    Cored OE Cans vs Leo Vince Titanium Vid
    Slammin' Tunes!

HF152, 10-26954
    HF564 .024-.028

Chrome extension to see photobucket blocked pics.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerful Pierre View Post
    I've had this happen on odd occasions over the years and I've put it down to being too impatient with the start procedure and not letting the bike do its cycle before hitting the start button....every time I've stopped the bike and gone thro' the start process again and its been fine.
    Hi, Im new to Aprilia, just bought a Falco, had SV650s before. Having the flashing EFI issue for few moments after starting it. What is the correct procedure of starting an Aprilia?

Regards
    Roland

apriliaforum expert Robert Borchert's Avatar
    Turn on the ignition, then wait for the self-test to complete. Once the lights go out, it's party time.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Borchert View Post
    Turn on the ignition, then wait for the self-test to complete. Once the lights go out, it's party time.

Bob
    10 years later, always wondered why that would matter. Never do it in the car. That said, I have always waited (cue chickens)

Never even seen a Falco up close. Completely different EFI system though.

apriliaforum expert Robert Borchert's Avatar
    Interesting. Have a look at the Falco photos, very clean lines. From the viewpoint of riding the Futura, the instruments of the Falco are, well, shall we say, Spartan? Aprilia made some major revisions with the Marelli cluster.

Starting should be quite similar, give the fuel system a moment to prime. Now my curiosity is piqued, have to look around a bit.

Bob

apriliaforum newb
    Great! I always leave it in gear, so while I'm looking for neutral it has time to do the checks..

BTW, got home tonight and found the ignition lock set was fallen out, lost the screws somehow. Luckily the keys kept it in place more-or-less. So tomorrow will have to get part number 8150349 and a normal M8x30 screw. Anybody knows if i can just use 2 screws or have to have the original weird looking bolt?
    picture of bolt: http://procycles.com.au/proddetail.p...150349&cat=842

Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rolcsibacsi View Post
    Great! I always leave it in gear, so while I'm looking for neutral it has time to do the checks..

BTW, got home tonight and found the ignition lock set was fallen out, lost the screws somehow. Luckily the keys kept it in place more-or-less. So tomorrow will have to get part number 8150349 and a normal M8x30 screw. Anybody knows if i can just use 2 screws or have to have the original weird looking bolt?
    picture of bolt: http://procycles.com.au/proddetail.p...150349&cat=842

Many thanks

The weird looking bolt is a security bolt. The top portion snaps off when you get the bolt nice and tight making it near impossible for even you to remove it w/o removing the triple clamp and drilling. Unless, of course, like in your case, the screws just fall out. LOL.

No reason why you could just use 2 normal bolts. Maybe some blue Loctite wouldn't hurt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast