Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found: Starter Relay Alternative

Found: Starter Relay Alternative

For those of you wanting to do the starter relay replacement but want a direct plug and play I found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270495118448...WAX:IT&vxp=mtr

I haven't used one personally but it is rated at 100 amps. It is more expensive but offers direct replacement with no effort.
    Current:

02' Futura: Staintunes, H-pipe, Firebolter air kit, Corbin w/backrest, Mille forks, mille rotors, mille calipers, ss braided brake & clutch lines, MPL clutch slave cylinder, brembo radial master cylinders, license plate bracket chop, charcoal cannister removed, fork sliders, R&G frame sliders, throttlemeister, smoke windscreen, air box derestricted, mille air boot, stomp grip tank pads, anodized gas cap bolts, Ford starter relay, Ballistics lithium battery, helmet lock, carbon rear mud guard, Marsee corona tank bag, filler cap mod

04' RSVR Track - In part out mode

Just go to the local Yamaha shop and get one...
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

apriliaforum Junkie
    $43 for that one. I paid $16 for the Ford relay and it took me 30 minutes to put it in, and I was really taking my time. The Ford install is kind of "plug-n-play" as you're using the OEM plug. You just have to crimp some different connectors on it.
    2002 Aprilia RST Futura
    2006 Ducati 999s
    1986 Honda VFR700

apriliaforum prov-nov Whitestar's Avatar
    I also bought the Ford relay $26.22US delivered to the UK, it's sitting on a shelf now until I'm ready to install.
    2002 - Aprilia Futura - In Hospital
    1995 - Honda CBR600 - Sold!
    1989 - Suzuki GSX750 - Sold!
    2000 - Yamaha XT600 - Stolen!!!

I was having issues that turned out to be the battery. I went ahead and replaced the relay with this unit on amazon anyhow. It's a aftermarket for the Yamaha unit. For $10 it seemed worth a try. It plugs right in and works great. The same seller offers them in eBay too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also ended up with Motorcraft (F-150, 500A rating I think) after putting in Echlin first then thinking twice. Still, about $40.00 total and I have a spare if need be, the minor mod was easy. That said, if plug and play is important...
    01 Blue #84, 11/12 with: HeliBars, foam grips, 05 map, Borla cans (Replaced by 2" pipe)/stock silencer, derestricted, metal QD, dash socket, wiring mod. Me: Ford relay +10awg & grd, fuel pump rewire, FPR, vac hoses. Evap gone, CBR coils/harness+ Magnecor, clutch switch bypass. S.S. clutch & front line, RaceTech Gold fork, Cogent rebuilt Sachs, tapered head bearings. Added LED run lights/indicators/brake. All signals also run lights. All lights but Hi/park/brake on dash switch. Hi beam mod, vest plug, wiring block, blue dash SMD's/Red V meter, Tune IFT, PCIII gone. Stripped/polished rims, vented screen, rear petal disc. FH008 soldered DC plug/added grd/hard soldered AC. L/R dash indicator lights, RG frame/fork sliders, vented screen.

Damn, I paid like $72 at the Yamaha dealer for mine! Guess they saw me coming. Oh well, it works much better than the old one and I don't have have to think about it any more.

Kurt
    03 Futura

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by selong View Post
    I was having issues that turned out to be the battery. I went ahead and replaced the relay with this unit on amazon anyhow. It's a aftermarket for the Yamaha unit. For $10 it seemed worth a try. It plugs right in and works great. The same seller offers them in eBay too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    My starter solenoid has become questionable lately so seeing this deal is perfect timing. Just ordered one now and Amazon says I should be getting it by the 29th. SWEET! Thanks for posting.

Not to be a wet blanket, but I'd be cautious about aftermarket stuff. I took off the Echlin (from NAPA) because I saw after the fact that it was China. There had been reports here of solenoids sticking closed, a bad thing. That's why I bit the bullet and went with Motorcraft. It wasn't worth saving literally a few bucks to me to risk substantially more expensive damage.
    01 Blue #84, 11/12 with: HeliBars, foam grips, 05 map, Borla cans (Replaced by 2" pipe)/stock silencer, derestricted, metal QD, dash socket, wiring mod. Me: Ford relay +10awg & grd, fuel pump rewire, FPR, vac hoses. Evap gone, CBR coils/harness+ Magnecor, clutch switch bypass. S.S. clutch & front line, RaceTech Gold fork, Cogent rebuilt Sachs, tapered head bearings. Added LED run lights/indicators/brake. All signals also run lights. All lights but Hi/park/brake on dash switch. Hi beam mod, vest plug, wiring block, blue dash SMD's/Red V meter, Tune IFT, PCIII gone. Stripped/polished rims, vented screen, rear petal disc. FH008 soldered DC plug/added grd/hard soldered AC. L/R dash indicator lights, RG frame/fork sliders, vented screen.

apriliaforum expert
    Oh, I thought it was Yamaha OEM. Lol Oh well, $10 for 100 amp unit, I'll give it a try. At least I know what a stuck on starter motor sounds like if that ever happens.

apriliaforum expert thesprocket26's Avatar
    its sounds like a bunch of hopping around and sreetching, trying to remove the seat and get a battery lug disconnected!

^^^^^ That's why I pulled the Echlin. Ironically it was actually a few $'s more than the Motorcraft. I hate hopping and screeching, at least with the Futura.

Got one of the shelf like 4-5 years ago. All is still good.
    2007 Tuono 1000R Factory - 22K miles
    Cored OE Racing CansMap2Pazzo Shorty Knock-offs15-40AF1 Link PlatesAprilia Sliders
    Laminar WindscreenLowered PegsLED City and Tag Lights
    ProTaper Universal LowClear Signal Lenses

2017 Z125 PRO in Candy Lime Green
    Many mods

2001 Futura in Silver - Sold, after 8.5 years of service.

Retired - DJ, Turntablist, MC, Creator, Video Editor and Mixologist.
    Cored OE Cans vs Leo Vince Titanium Vid
    Slammin' Tunes!

HF152, 10-26954
    HF564 .024-.028

Chrome extension to see photobucket blocked pics.

apriliaforum expert
    Got the solenoid today. Perfect timing, my bike wouldn't start 2 different times today. Had to put it in gear and roll it to get the pistons to decompress. Working on install so we'll see how it performs out of the box.

Ford relay in mine.
    JD

Futura
    Bunch of dirtbikes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast