Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Anyone tried the Pirelli "Trackday slicks"? (Diablo Superbike Pro)

SC3 Marty? I don't know ANYONE that uses the SC3!
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

apriliaforum Junkie
    SC3 is Pirelli's endurance racing slick. They work very well and we get at least 4 track days out of a rear on a 750

Ah. Shows my ignorance! I have not run Pirelli tires for years.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

Quote Originally Posted by meanstrk View Post
    My take, for what it's worth:

I am a long time track day enthusiast, retired WERA racer, and currently coach for a couple organizations. I have personally tried the Pirelli track day slicks, and I will not use them again. They held fine at first, but towards the end of their life span, they drop off rather badly in terms of grip. I honestly would rather use a set of Dunlop Q3's over the Pirelli track day slicks, and I DO run the Q3's on my R6 that I coach with. On my GSXR 1000, I have used the Q3 rear with slick front with good results as well, and more recently I tried the Dunlop Q4, which I found to be a FANTASTIC tire that I can push just as hard as slicks during a track day environment. On my R6, with Q4 front and Q3+ rear, I was dragging the right side fairings if that says enough about grip.
    I have been running the Q4 on my tacked RSVR this season and have loved them. Definitely the most traction I've experienced on a tire. No warmers and pushed for only 3 quarters of a lap on a red flagged session, tore a glove off and felt a HOT tire.

However next season, I need to be thinking a bit more budget friendly as I will have something like 56 available track days, of which I'll probably make about 20. I was planning on going slicks and figured the SC2 would give me a bit more life. I got about 4.5 full 7 session days out of a Q4 rear. I am hoping the drop off on the new Diablo Pirelli slicks is not as severe as you have experienced, I'd rather not run it since the Q4 was good until the lower slanted tread disappeared. I probably could have pushed that tire another full day too.

I just can't be burning through a $212 tire every 4 days so I need a good middle ground between traction and lasting.
    '19 Husqvarna FS450
    '17 TV4 Factory
    '07 RSVR Factory (For Sale)

Nah stick with the Dunlops. The Pirellis have great grip , but you wont get the life out of them as you get with the Dunlops. Or maybe Bridgestones

I never was able to get a Pirelli to last as long as Dunlops. More specifically, the Dunlop fronts (I typically run medium slicks on front and soft or medium rears on the 1000) last quite a long time in comparison to the softer carcass Pirelli tires. I have not ran Pirelli for years though, and when I tried to last year I could not get them to hook up at all and I took them off quickly.

If you want something that will last longer, depending on your pace, I would just run the Q3+ and roll with it. I have run lap times very close to my race pace on Q3+ rubbers and a bone stock R6 compared to my GSXR 1000 that is fully built with slicks.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    2007.5 Tuono

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Nice thread, has me wondering a few things. Those of you who've experienced short life from the diablo SC vs other tires, could that be due to the SC giving you more confidence to push harder in, through and out of the corner? I'm just curious. This past august at Thunderhill, I switch from the street SC to the track oriented SC (the one with the green tag on the sidewall) and found I had better feel and pace from entry to exit.

Just wondering...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJackal View Post
    Nice thread, has me wondering a few things. Those of you who've experienced short life from the diablo SC vs other tires, could that be due to the SC giving you more confidence to push harder in, through and out of the corner? I'm just curious. This past august at Thunderhill, I switch from the street SC to the track oriented SC (the one with the green tag on the sidewall) and found I had better feel and pace from entry to exit.

Just wondering...

Thanks
    I am going faster on the Dunlop than I ever went on the Pirelli. That is more of a function of my own improvement as a rider, not so much the tires themselves. The Dunlops are lasting longer than the Pirelli even at a faster pace. I felt the Pirelli had better grip for the first few sessions than the Dunlop, but the Dunlop had more consistent grip over the life of the tire.

apriliaforum expert
    Love the Dunlop KR range in slicks, really great until the drop off, then they go bad.
    Pirelli drop off is sooner but more progressive.

i run in a Pirelli sponsorship organisation so Pirelli is obligatory.

hopefull to get to hop on a Moto2 Triumph in 2019 Dunlop’s too. Fingers crossed
    Previous bikes : AR50 - AR80 - CB250N - RD350LC - RGV250 - VT400 - TDR250 - VIRAGO 535 - RF600 - RF900 - CBR600 - GSXR750 - TL1000R - T160 TRIUMPH - R1 - PIAGGIO - R6 - RC30 - 916SPS - VFR800 - 675 DAYTONA - CBR600RR - TL1000R - YZF750 - RSV4 FACTORY.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345