Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: FYI: RSV4 valve adj w/engine in the chassis

apriliaforum Member
    So i made a tool to get by as i was waiting on back order. Here is photo of the updated aprilia cam gear holder tool which arrived yesterday 020956Y

Its just ok. Its not great for 3 reasons:
    1. Because its one piece its just a little wrestle to get it on.
    2. Once its on, i found i could not bolt it onto the head unless i fought it again.
    3. To slide the gam gear over, it wasnt alighned precisely and the gear had to step up onto the tool rather than sliding over.

I reinstalled my tool its much better with none of above issues.

If u order it and it eventually shows up, it will work for u but maybe a bit of fussing. Given all of this, i may post my tool fo 020956Y for sale lol.
    2013 Aprilia RSV4 Factory ABS SE

apriliaforum Member

My regular crows foot wasnt clearing and i since i dont have one of these:
    http://belknap.mobi/standard-interch...le-drive-ends/

Quote Originally Posted by amauri View Post

Important:
    Bellow is a photo of the o-ring on the cam bearing towers that must be replaced to prevent an oil leak thru the spark plug holes (the parts book calls it a dust seal BTW).
    The list of gaskets needed for a proper valve adj:

2-) 897442 v/c gasket
    6-) 898410 bolt gasket
    4-) 857074 plug hole to cover gasket
    4-) 857043 cam tower o-ring
    Hi Amauri...2 quickies if you don't mind...

1. Are the numbers to the left of each seal denoting quantities needed and are these seals the same for 2012 bikes?

2. How much oil is lost during a valve check? I'm just under the 600 mile service mark and I'm contemplating whether or not to change the oil prior to dropping it off at New Haven Powersports for the valve check.

Thanks!
    If I'd never thrown my leg over a bike, I'd never have lived. - Hislop

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by S.A.B. View Post
    Hi Amauri...2 quickies if you don't mind...

1. Are the numbers to the left of each seal denoting quantities needed and are these seals the same for 2012 bikes?

2. How much oil is lost during a valve check? I'm just under the 600 mile service mark and I'm contemplating whether or not to change the oil prior to dropping it off at New Haven Powersports for the valve check.

Thanks!
    Im no Amauri, but...
    1. Yes, the left numbers look to be quantities (logically). You have 2 valve covers, 4 spark plugs, etc.

2. No oil lost if you are just checking. The crank access port is high enough and removing the valve covers, its not going to all pour out.

If you end up needing adjustment, then yes you will need to drain (crank cover, clutch covers off).

Thanks Patrick! That helped a ton!

Let us east coasters know how NHP does with details. This looks like a job for a highly skilled tech. Will be needing soon and giving this job to anyone makes me nervous ! Thanks.

Ness she is in there right now having the check done at 627 miles. I will let you know how it works out. So far the communication has been great. Jason is doing the job and we have talked several times via email and phone regarding different options regarding things like secondary air system removal, etc.

apriliaforum Junkie
    As someone who does everything on my own bikes (and cars for that matter) I can see the big time saving with the cam sprocket holding tools, but do have one question: If you need to remove all 4 cams, could you get away with doing it in stages with one tool, one bank, then the next? Nothing jumps out at me on why not, but would like to confirm.

Also thanks on the PDF write up Amauri. All the necessary information on two handy pages.

You will need to leave the tool on one bank until the intake cam is back in holding the sprocket. You could pull the shims on one bank, put the intake cam back in, and move to the other bank.
    The tool I bought didn't line up with the bolt holes and had to be ground before the cam would come out.
    1985 GPZ750 Turbo
    2009 Concours
    2012 Tuono (The Money Pit)

apriliaforum Junkie
    Great, thanks. I did forget that if you are already putting a pin to secure the crankshaft that nothing will move, and it could be all accomplished with one cam sprocket holding tool, one bank at a time.

I'll be checking mine at the 600 mile service and hoping that I'll not need to adjust any.

You should read the service manual thoroughly before pulling cams. The crank pin is not to hold, only for location, and opposite sides for the two banks.
    1985 GPZ750 Turbo
    2009 Concours
    2012 Tuono (The Money Pit)

apriliaforum Junkie
    Good point and I have, the manual states to not use the pin to secure the crankshaft from rotating while you are putting any sort of a load on it. With the locating pin between the crank and block, the whole timing assembly would not move due to a cam lobe sitting on the bucket and wanting to rotate though. That is mainly what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Micah / AF1 Racing View Post
    Zero chance this motor has had piston to valve kissing right? The only other time I remember seeing 12 of 16 valves out was on an inline that had been over revved? Slightly bent valves are slightly shorter in total length....you get the idea.
    My 2013 TuonoV4 7200 miles is in shop for oil weap (warranty work).........I asked to have valves looked at while they were in top end. Shop says they found all but 2 valves out of of tolerance.
    Picking up bike today.
    2013 Matt Black Tuono * Arrow GP2 * Race ECU * Carbon Bling Bits * 151 RWHP ......... 2002 Honda 954 Track/Race 150 RWHP * 2008 R6 Track/Race 121.5 RWHP * XLSR Motorsports Seattle / XLSR Racing........ WMRRA #55

apriliaforum newb
    Could somebody to explain which camshaft's hole to use for timing? Engine is RSV4 2012. Is it the same hole's positions for front and rear cylinders or not? There is two holes on camshafts. I am sorry, I did't found any notes about it here and in Workshop manual.

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    When the camshafts are installed correctly and with the three dots aligned, there is only one possibility for the timing hole position.
    I'm not sure how to describe in detail how you'd know that you have the correctly alignment hole, the workshop manual explains it better than I can.

Keep in mind that the IN camshafts are the same front or rear, but the EX cams are not the same.
    Starting with 2017 RSV4-RR/RF, all four camshafts are different. TV4 engines are same as before.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by amauri; 05-19-2019 at 10:00 AM. Reason: update
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast