Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: FYI: RSV4 valve adj w/engine in the chassis

apriliaforum Member
    Yep, I bought mine from AF1 and no modification needed - fit just fine front and back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseSnake View Post
    When I havn't got the proper locking tools I use my indicator for the same purpose.
    Attachment 195357

some brands have rediculous prices on their special tools.
    G Snake, You are of course correct that many special tools are waaaay overpriced. Checking TDC with an indicator however is often difficult on 4 strokes where the spark plug hole is frequently angled. Most 2 cycles, like the photo you included locate the plug at center and parallel to the bore axis making checking TDC easier. I am sure you know this but it is a good thing to mention to keep the newbes from hurting something. Also if they take the engine through a full rotation they need to watch out for the possibility of the valves hitting the extension of the indicator inside the cylinder.
    Bill J

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    RSV4 engines are not timed at TDC.

Of course you can take the time to measure with your indicators and degree wheel before you disassemble, and put everything back as you found it. But that doesn't account for chain stretch and sprocket wear that causes small changes in cam timing.

The factory tools cost a lot less than dial indicators and degree wheels.
    Aprilia's tools save several hours labor trying to figure out the exact timing positions of the crank and camshafts with dial indicators and degree wheels. Not to mention that Aprilia's tools makes the job relatively fool proof.

No need to re-invent the wheel here.
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I have read most if not all the thread on valve adjustment, but I don't remember any mention of assembly lube. Is it a good idea to use assembly lube during reassembly or is the oil residue left over on the parts enough?

Is there any reason not to user assembly lube?
    In the garage:
    2013 Aprilia RSV4 Factory aPRC
    2010 BMW F800GS
    2003 Yamaha R1 (waiting for me to fix water pump...)

Rides of the Past
    1983 RZ350
    1981 RD350
    1986 Ninja 1000

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by dmaxr1 View Post
    I have read most if not all the thread on valve adjustment, but I don't remember any mention of assembly lube. Is it a good idea to use assembly lube during reassembly or is the oil residue left over on the parts enough?

I just lube camshafts with an oil I'm going to put in the engine. I think, as long as it's not completely dry it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by dmaxr1 View Post

I can't recall what the manual said, but I absolutely use camshaft specific lubricant during reassembly. Always, on every motor I've ever touched.

Thanks for the info; really appreciated. I'm looking to go ahead and check & adjust the valves (getting error code P0210 and sensors are ok - after only 3500km),

1) Question on the locking tools. Manual states

020850Y Primary gear lock
    020914Y Flywheel retainer

Either one of these can be used "Block crankshaft rotation using one of the specific tools". Is this the case? Does the primary gear lock tool on the clutch side require the clutch / plates to be removed to fit? If so, would the flywheel option be better?

This on a 2016 RSV4 RR (AU) the FSM don't indicate flywheel removal is necessary and based on what I've read above most likely is true in that respect.

2) Also the crank and cam timing pins, which of these need to be bent 90 degrees to fit with the motor in the frame? Will it be necessary to get two, bend one and leave the other? I think I will have difficulty bending this myself as I don't have the necessary gear, is there a part available that will work here?

3) Tightening / torquing cam gear bolts - can these be easily accessed while in frame both front and rear?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by antarius View Post
    I can't recall what the manual said, but I absolutely use camshaft specific lubricant during reassembly. Always, on every motor I've ever touched.
    Most camshaft assembly lubes contain molybdenum, not a good idea for a wet clutch engine because molybdenum can contaminate the clutch plates and cause them to slip.
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

Quote Originally Posted by wspawn View Post
    Thanks for the info; really appreciated. I'm looking to go ahead and check & adjust the valves (getting error code P0210 and sensors are ok - after only 3500km),

1) Question on the locking tools. Manual states

020850Y Primary gear lock
    020914Y Flywheel retainer

Either one of these can be used "Block crankshaft rotation using one of the specific tools". Is this the case? Does the primary gear lock tool on the clutch side require the clutch / plates to be removed to fit? If so, would the flywheel option be better?

This on a 2016 RSV4 RR (AU) the FSM don't indicate flywheel removal is necessary and based on what I've read above most likely is true in that respect.

2) Also the crank and cam timing pins, which of these need to be bent 90 degrees to fit with the motor in the frame? Will it be necessary to get two, bend one and leave the other? I think I will have difficulty bending this myself as I don't have the necessary gear, is there a part available that will work here?

3) Tightening / torquing cam gear bolts - can these be easily accessed while in frame both front and rear?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
    You should read this, covers what you need to know. http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...lemental-Guide
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

thanks v much for all who contributed here

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456