Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: improving 05 mapping with tuneecu

apriliaforum prov-nov

improving 05 mapping with tuneecu

dear forum members

i am new to this forum and live in the Netherlands (europe). i have been owning a futura for about 1, 5 years now and made modifications on the suspension and electronics. For example i am now running an sachs rsv mille shock at the rear (with 110 spring) and reshimmed the front suspension. The engine of my futura is stock except for an old mille boot and a bosch fuel pressure regulator(standard pressure).

My newest modifications are based around the engine mapping. With help of the tune ecu program i have been trying to modify the 05 map for a lower fuel consumption and smoother running in the cruising range (low throttle and 2000-6000 rpm). i graduallly leaned out this range in several steps and corrected it when the engine was running rough or the pick up suffered. i typically reduced the fuel with 5-8 % in the cruising range. I also did some experiments with the ignition map and found that it was very sensitive. in some areas i have retarded the ignition with 1-2 degrees for better pick up in the 2000-3000 rpm range. Overal the custom mapping seems to be an slight improvement over the standard 05 map; it runs smoother, there are less vibrations and the fuel consumption has been reduced from 1L /18 km to 1L /19 km.

There are still areas in the mapping wich i think can be improved further , i also think that the co level of front and rear cilinder are not identical ( i have a Co measuring device) and suspect that the air (intake)temperature gets disturbed with higher temperatures due to engine heat. are there any forum members who can share their experiance with me on this subject?

Tried to attach my latest custom map to this post but did not work , will try this later.

How are you measuring the CO?

I´m interested in your ignition map. I have now the very old ignition map setting for closed throttle to get more engine braking.
    I think if I do what you have done for the lower revs with retarding the ignition, could smooth the engine at bit.

I use a wideband lambda sensor in the pre-muffler, but I have some issues with it so I don´t trust it fully.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC 320mm brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch.
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

apriliaforum prov-nov
    hello deefred,

when i started working with tune ecu program i looked at lean fuel maps of other forum users (such as deefred , winterwolf and meansterak). the fuel mapping i tried are further developments of their work.i first tested with several idle fuel trim values (0-20). At 20 it runs fine but smells a bit rich, i ended up setting it at + 17. if the idle mixture was lean the idle rpm got kind of lumpy and the engine does nor run smooth in the 1500-3000 rpm range. In order to measure the co value at idle speed and very low loads i lended an old CO measuring device ( type Bosch ETT 008.00). This type of instrument was used in the pre-catalysator age for motorvehicles . It uses a sniffer in the exhaust and runs from the 12 v battery

i tried to measure the CO at both cylinders from the connection at the headers. i did not want to measure after the cat because it affects the CO level and the exhaust gasses are mixed. However i do not trust my readings. i have measured values between 1 and 3 % but can not always reproduce my readings. i need to redo them when i have more time. i should ofcourse use a braked dyno but that will cost loads of time (and money).

After first setting up the fuel maps and testing them on the road i started doing some trials with the ignition. i had a look at "catfish"and "gabro" ignition tables and tried to make a map which was more fluent over the lower cruising rpm range. the timing was retarded up to 5 degrees in order make the curves more smooth. the result was however not very good. The engine was more smooth from 1500-2500 and makes less noise but the feeling was restricted and not so powerfull. Unfortunally a coil died during the testing period so i did not ride for a long period with this map

the current map (050918 eco 14) has been on my futura for about 1000 km and delays the timing for about 1-2 degrees on low loads (0-12%). in the 1000 and 1500 rpm at loads > 9 percent the ignition timing has been advanced with 2 degrees for better pick up when using the trottle between gears shifts. i have found that the engine reacts very strongly on ignition timing. especilly at the low loads and rpm levels. i am sure it can be improved further.

Haver you noted any effect on the way your motor runs when changing to the old 01 ignition map ? the ignition map of the 01 and 05 is very different.

i attached the map so you can have a look. You are free to use it but ofcourse on your own risk.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by futura rider nl; 06-05-2012 at 04:16 PM.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    hello Andy,

I noted that i made a mistake in the map version. I am not running the 050918 eco 15 map, but the eco 14 map. sorry my mistake. Please do not worry if you downloaded the eco 15 map. The fuel trims are identical but the ignition has only be retarded for 0.5- 2 degree in a smaller range for testing purposed when i had a idling problem. Idling problem (only in gear not in neutral) turned out to be a loose connector at the stepper motor and had nothing to do with the engine map.

please understand that the map i made is basicly the 05 map with minor changes to fuel and ingintion trim. It will not suddenly transform your futura into a new bike, its just a small improvement. The map is also still under development, i just wanted to share my experiance and see if other people could share in the development by adding their experiance.The difference between the 01 and 05 map is much much larger.

Engine wise i made the biggest improvement by checking the fuel pressure regulator. It turned out that the regulator was not connected to the engine vacuum, but to the airbox (no vacuum). just by reconnecting it my engine was running a lot better and my fuel consumption reduced from 1L /14 km to 1 L /18 km. the stupid thing was that it looked being made by aprillia itself........
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by futura rider nl View Post
    hello Andy,

Engine wise i made the biggest improvement by checking the fuel pressure regulator. It turned out that the regulator was not connected to the engine vacuum, but to the airbox (no vacuum). just by reconnecting it my engine was running a lot better and my fuel consumption reduced from 1L /14 km to 1 L /18 km. the stupid thing was that it looked being made by aprillia itself........
    I have also noticed this. The older mille had the regulator connected to intake vacuum, but I´m not sure about the newer generation.
    The idea is to have a more stable pressure differentiell over the injector. With throttle closed (high vacuum) the pressure diff over the injector will be more than the 3bar for which the regulator is set for.
    It´s possible that is now all taken account for anyway with the more modern sagem system.
    Find it hard to believe that Aprilia/Rotax would have made such a mistake.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC 320mm brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch.
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

apriliaforum prov-nov
    hello Deefred,

although off topic i understand what you mean, but i do think that the fuel pressure regulator should always be connected to the engine vacuum . 1 will try to explain;

The fuel flow of the injector for a givven opening pulse is only a calibrated value if the pressure difference over the injector is constant. however During engine braking or accerelation the engine vacuum does not stay constant. As the inlet vacuum differs according to rpm and throttle setting the fuel pressure is regulated in order to obtain a constant pressure difference of 3 bar across the injector. The futura is useally only lightly loaded during cruising. the engine vacuum should therefore be relative high and an important parameter. During idle the vacuum is approx 0.3 bar. the engine vacuum is also not constant during the intake stroke, there are large pulses especiaaly as it is only connected to 1 cylinder. If the vacuum connection of the fuel pressure regulator is not connected the engine will be running very rich.

My dealer told me that 1L /13 km for a futura was normal , but i read on this forum that there have been some issues with the fuel pressure regulator. i therefore purchased a second hand regulator of a VW golf with the same specifications and swithed it. During the assembly i noticed that the FPR was not connected to a vacuum hose but an airbox hose . So i reconnected it and also made a small restriction of 2mm in the connetion tube in order to reduce the pulsing. I was very pleased with the way the engine was running afterwards and the reduced fuel consumption (1L /18 km).

fuel consumption on my daily commute with the lean cruising map is now in the order of 19-20 km on 1 Liter. My commute is typically 2 km at 50 km/h / 6 km at 100 km/h /8 km at120 km/h /6 km with 135 km/h so not really slow.

So, if my calkitations are correct, that translates to about 48 mpg. Nice, but mine'll do that box stock with the original 02 map. Have no idea where that hose to my pressure regulator is connected.

As the Manifold Air Pressure (MAP) is a function of throttle valve opening and RPM it should be possible to take that in to account in the Fuel Mapping.
    I found a picture from a later generation Mille and it seems that the Fuel Pressure Regulator is connected to the manifold just as the first generation.

To connect to the manifold may be a fix for those with a high consumption but I wonder what Aprilia had in mind.

The ECU knows where the throttle is and what the RPMs are at that throttle setting. On the Fut, it might even know the speed the bike's traveling. So if the map is designed well, how would having a mechanical fuel adjustment out of the ECU's control, that's also over-riding the map, be helpful?

If i understand this, the higher the manifold vac, the lower the pressure the regulator allows. At idle, the manifold vac is high so the pressure needs to be lower So what happens at higher engine speeds and the throttle closed. With manifold vac even higher might give the motor even less fuel pressure than at idle. W/o an O2 sensor smoothing things out some, the motor might run quite lean like this - good for gas mileage, maybe not so good for throttle response.

Dropping voltage to the fuel pump can also drop the delivered pressure(it'll just spin slower). The ground of the fuel pump is thru the ECU. Do we know, does the ECU regulate the pump's voltage? Wonder if the Capo's regulator is plugged into manifold vac. It's the only Rotax with an O2 sensor.

RAS -

Per the parts fiche, the Capo fuel reg is plugged into the airbox.
    2003 Aprilia RST1000 Futura - 35k my miles
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST - 11k my miles

Past Bikes:
    2004 Yamaha YZF-R1 (Sold!) - 13k my miles
    1995 Triumph Sprint (Sold!) - 15k my miles
    1990 Suzuki VX800 (Sold!) - 12k my miles

I suspect that between lots of fuel pumps, injectors and temp sensors, there's enough bike to bike variation to result in the fuel consumption differences we see. YRMV depending on the combination of bits assembled that day into a bike. The dyno or a well educated seat of the pants dyno and access to the ECU is still probably a better way to make the thing run better if the combination of bits results in the low MPG end of the range.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    if the fuel consumption of your futura is normal i would not worry about the fuel pressure regulator. Fuel consumption will vary according to riding style and individual bikes. Only in cases where the fuel consumption is very high would i advise to check it.

The injection system of a futura and rsv mille are of different brands and do not have the same working principles.

The sagem system of the futura and caponord has an atmosferic pressure sensor (connected to the airbox). the amount of injected fuel is calculated on bases of rpm and throttle valve opening only. It is corrected on bases of ambient atmosferic pressure (and air temperature). the amount of injected fuel is calculated into a pulse time of the injector. The amount of injected fuel is only correct if the pressure difference over the injector (fuelpressure-manifold pressure) is constant.

Basicly the fuel pressure regulator ensures a constant pressure difference by adjusting the fuel pressure . The regulator consist of a membrane ,spring and a vacuum connection and has been placed to ensure a more constant fuel delivery.

i am not 100 % into the denso system of the old RSv mille but i am fairly sure that the EFI system uses an Manifold Air Pressure sensor for a section of the fuel map (as can be seen for modern KTM fuel injection systems in tune ecu). At low throttle opening it is more accurate to work with the Manifold Air Pressure vs rpm then with throttle angle vs rpm. As can be seen in the futura fuel maps the steps need to be very small here (from 1-10 degrees throttle angle in about 6 steps ). the MAP sensor measures the vacuum below the throttle and is only used for the injection system. At higher throttle angles the fuel map switches over to throttle angle-rpm. the ECU calculations regarding injector pulse time and correction of injected fuel vs ambient air temperature and ambient air pressure is probaly simular. i reccon that the FPR on the rsv mille is also based on the same principle as the futura.

Andy b27 check the cam timing, it made 5mpg on mine ...

Has anyone play around with the ignition timing? Have had lag issues with throttle response and am wondering if I should advance the timing... I think it is running a little rich... p.s I am running 05 Map and have a 1-3/4" full free flow h-pipe exhaust.

Any input would be fantastic...

apriliaforum expert northern phil's Avatar
    Ive timed up the cams to 103in 105ex and boy what a differance. Its like dropping two teeth from the front cog.

Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast