Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Mana does not want to start

apriliaforum newb

2008 Mana does not want to start

Hello and good day to everyone here! I am a newbie and we are from the Philippines. We have a Mana 850 which was imported from the States and was bought brand new. The problem is we do not have a dealer here in Manila. Anyway, the bike just don't want to start. Just a click sound from the start relay. Then the Service icon will appear with the triangle red light. We already look at the errors and there was none. Maybe you have encountered this and a big help will be highly appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Sounds like the battery needs to be charged.
    Ray
    '10 White GT

When you hit the starter does the dash go blank and then after the button is released it comes back on and goes thrugh its cycle before exhibiting the 'Service' icon? If so i is almost certainly partly to do with the battery charge.

Was it shipped from the USA with the battery installed? If so how long did that take and have you attempted to charge it before trying to start the bike? Secondly do you know how the battery was put into service. It's a gel-mat battery. It's not simply a matter of puting the acid in and sticking it in the bike.

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum newb
    Thank you Peter. I will let you know when we change the battery.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by nani View Post
    Thank you Peter. I will let you know when we change the battery.
    We already change to a new battery. Still the same problem any suggestion where to look at.

I really need your help.

Looking forward for your response.
    Thanks.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by nani View Post
    We already change to a new battery. Still the same problem any suggestion where to look at.

I really need your help.

Looking forward for your response.
    Thanks.
    Did you charge either of the two batteries before trying to start the bike? Using a volt meter check the battery and verify that the voltage is over 12.5 before you try to start it. After that it will be standard diagnostics of a starter system such as verifying that you have voltage going in to and coming out of the starter relay, etc.

While I'd love to help it is pretty difficult to try and diagnose, let alone cure, a problem on a bike several thousand kilometers away.

Was the bike running before it was shipped to the Philippines? Another information about its condition? Prior storage? Shipping? Who did the pre-delivery? Have you contacted the selling agent?

Pete

apriliaforum newb
    Yes it was running before. Where can I see the starter relay? Another time it started, then it just got to the same problem again.
    thanks again for the help.

Look, I'm sorry but I can't fix this issue over the Internet. For what it's worth I can't see it being anything terribly serious or difficult but that is entirely unquantifiable from a remote location. I suggest trying to find a competent motorbike repair facility locally.

Pete

apriliaforum prov-nov

Mana starting user booklet

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mana starting.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	230.9 KB 
ID:	194732Below are extracts from the Mana User Booklet. Available here in several languages: -

http://www.serviceaprilia.com/public...dex.asp?l=Mana 850

Other information about keys and codes here: -
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ight=user+code

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ogram+new+keys

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ogram+new+keys

Your starting problem may be just a start-relay, but could be an Immobilizer fault.
    Try starting with the side stand UP and both front and rear (not parking) brakes applied.

If that works, try again with just one brake applied. The starter is enabled when either brake switch is closed.

You should have two keys that allow you to switch the ignition on. You must use two keys if you choose to create your personal code.

When the Mana is code-free you get the message “REMEMBER TO INSERT YOUR USER CODE” on each switch-on. If you choose not to set up a personal code, you will not be able to override the immobiliser by insertion of the code.

If you are not getting this message, then a user code exists and you should know what it is.

SERVICE ALARM

In case of failure found in the instrument panel or in the electronic control unit, the instrument panel signals the failure by displaying the SERVICE icon and the red general warning light comes on.
    Given this, and for some kinds of problems, the engine can be started only if the side stand is up.

CAUTION: THE IMMOBILIZER SYSTEM CAN MEMORISE UP TO FOUR KEYS.
    DATA STORAGE OPERATION CAN ONLY BE PERFORMED AT THE DEALE R’S.
    DATA STORAGE PROCEDURE CANCELS THE EXISTING CODES. THEREFORE, IF A CUSTOMER WANTS TO PROGRAM SOME NEW KEYS, S/HE SHOULD GO TO THE DEALER TAKING ALL THE KEYS S/HE WANTS TO ENABLE.
    The immobilizer operation mode is signalled by the warning light (1) placed on the instrument panel:
    • Warning light off: immobilizer disabled.
    • Flashing warning light: immobilizer enabled.
    • Quick flashes: key not recognised.

The vehicle is supplied with two keys already programmed. The instrument panel accepts a maximum of four keys at the same time: contact an Official Aprilia Dealer to enable these keys or to disable a key that has been lost.
    When the vehicle is delivered and approximately ten seconds after the key is set to ON: -

The instrument panel requests a personal five-digit code to be entered. This request is no longer displayed once the personal code is entered. For code entering procedure, see the CODE MODIFICATION section.
    It is important to remember the personal code because:
    • The vehicle can be started if the immobilizer system is faulty
    • The instrument panel need not be replaced should the ignition switch be changed
    • New keys can be programmed

CODE MODIFICATION
    The SETTINGS menu consists of the following options:
    - EXIT
    - TIME ADJUSTMENT
    - BACKLIGHTING
    - CODE CHANGE
    - CODE RECOVERY
    - C / F
    - 12/24 h
    The functions of the settings menu are indicated in the following sections.
    Once each operation is finished, the instrument panel goes back to the main menu.
    CODE CHANGE
    This function is used to modify an old code. Once within this function, the following message is displayed:
    "ENTER OLD CODE"
    After recognising the old code, the new code is requested and the display shows the following message:
    "ENTER NEW CODE"
    Once the operation is finished, the instrument panel shows the SETTINGS menu.
    If it is the first time a code is stored, only the new code is requested.
    CODE RECOVERY
    This function is used to set a new code when the old one is not available; in this case, at least two keys will have to be inserted in the ignition lock. After the first key has been inserted, the second one is requested with the following message:
    "INSERT KEY II"
    In between keys, the instrument panel remains lit; if the key is not inserted within 20 seconds, the operation finishes.
    After recognising the second key, the insertion of the new code is required with the message:
    "ENTER NEW CODE"
    Once the operation is finished, the instrument panel shows the SETTINGS menu.
    CAUTION: IF YOU LOSE ONE OF THE SUPPLIED KEYS, CONTACT AN Aprilia official Dealer.

If there is an immobilizer failure at ignition, the instrument panel requests you to enter a user code. If the code is entered correctly, the instrument panel signals the failure by displaying the SERVICE icon and the red general warning light comes on.
    Last edited by Moss; 06-20-2012 at 01:27 AM.

apriliaforum newb
    hi the starter relay #64 is on the right of the battery at the bottom of the "helmet" compartment.
    2 screws to take off (top of the rear), you can take it out (the relay) while twisting.
    I recommend you disconnect the battery first. The 2 red wires are live and not fully protected ! and not fused !!! WARNING !!!
    Hi NANI here it is....seen from outside
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1976 1024.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	283.5 KB 
ID:	194903
    Last edited by profmbo; 06-16-2012 at 03:12 PM. Reason: add photo & warning

apriliaforum newb
    Thank you very much for the help

apriliaforum newb
    It runs once a day. then does not want to run start again. The service Icon still lights up. Do you think its a connection problem? I hope you can direct me where to look at again. Thanks in advance.

apriliaforum newb
    The bike is starting but only once a day. And when you try to restart it show the service icon and the red light turns on. can't really see what is wrong with it. I hope you guys can help me diagnose the problem and teach me where to look at. Thank you very much in advance again.

apriliaforum newb
    Hi Moss. Looking at your post from 2012. Very helpful for that guy in the Philippines. I have a similar problem you may be able to solve. My Mana turns over but won't 'catch'. I have one key that is no longer recognized so I have to enter the code each time I try to start it. The other key is recognized. I had the bike in storage for 6 months but forgot to disconnect the battery. Put in a new battery when I got back and the bike started the first time I used it but that's been it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast