Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help.....??? Thermostat crack

apriliaforum newb

Help.....??? Thermostat crack

Hi guys. I need advise please. I'm on the RSV4R APRC 2011 model and I use the bike for street, track and race. Yesterday discovered that coolant was leaking and brought the bike to my agent. They informed me that the thermostat thing is cracked and there is currently about 5 other bikes facing the same problem and waiting for shipment of the part. My agent has given me priority and assurance to replace the item due to my race. However my fear is that if the replacement part is the same, I might face the same problem again. And the last thing I need is this problem during raceday.

Anyone has any other ways to solve this problem?? I do not wish to change bike just because of this. I am loving how the bike handles and the power that follows. Please.... Any help will be appreciated.

ps: i'm a tech dumb2. Only know how to ride. So in English please.... :p

apriliaforum expert
    whats the part# ?

First off WNFO!!!

Since you are the first one that I've heard of with this problem, I really wouldn't worry about trading it in already! I'd just write that off to a defect and call it a day. Good luck on the next one.

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    please post a photo
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

apriliaforum prov-nov
    ??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thermo.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	192709
    Chris / RSV4 aPRC SE

apriliaforum expert
    At least it looks like an easy replacement, and for $70 from Af1. Looks like there are far worse issues worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by skiddie View Post
    Hi guys. I need advise please. I'm on the RSV4R APRC 2011 model and I use the bike for street, track and race. Yesterday discovered that coolant was leaking and brought the bike to my agent. They informed me that the thermostat thing is cracked and there is currently about 5 other bikes facing the same problem and waiting for shipment of the part. My agent has given me priority and assurance to replace the item due to my race. However my fear is that if the replacement part is the same, I might face the same problem again. And the last thing I need is this problem during raceday.

Anyone has any other ways to solve this problem?? I do not wish to change bike just because of this. I am loving how the bike handles and the power that follows. Please.... Any help will be appreciated.

ps: i'm a tech dumb2. Only know how to ride. So in English please.... :p
    Good luck in waiting for the part from the agent. Did they give you an estimated date for the part to come in?
    If you need it urgently, I suggest you just order from AF1.

PS. Any idea why this happened? Especially to so many bikes? Did the mechanic enlighten you?

Devcon the shit out of it for a temp fix until you get a replacement part fitted under warranty?
    2011 RSV4R aPRC White
    2009 Triumph 675 Daytona Black

apriliaforum newb
    Yeap. Dats the part.
    I have already purchased a used one from ebay and awaiting shipment. Thus i will have a spare piece besides the agent replacement part for raceday use.
    Guess i need to scout around if anyone is able to fabricate this part wif a better material. I believe the heat is too much for the plastic, causing the crack n leak.

apriliaforum expert
    Yeap. Dats the part.
    I have already purchased a used one from ebay and awaiting shipment. Thus i will have a spare piece besides the agent replacement part for raceday use.
    Guess i need to scout around if anyone is able to fabricate this part wif a better material. I believe the heat is too much for the plastic, causing the crack n leak.
    1st person ive heard of with this problem so far, not sure how common this is

I had an E34 BMW 540 with a plastic thermostat housing - which also cracked. Turned out, the standard procedure was to replace the housing at the same time as the thermostat, as it will likely fail soon after. My mechanic had re-used the housing & it did.

Don't know if you've had yours apart - just a thought.
    The Garage:

2014 RSV4 Factory.

1989 Porsche 944 Turbo (variable boost, track suspension, 928 discs, Carrera Cup 2 rims, etc - my track day toy)

2010 Commodore SSV

Previous Aprilias: 2010 RSV4 Factory (Killed by SUV). 2006 RSVR Factory (sold). 2003 RSV (sold)

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I had an E34 BMW 540 with a plastic thermostat housing - which also cracked. Turned out, the standard procedure was to replace the housing at the same time as the thermostat, as it will likely fail soon after. My mechanic had re-used the housing & it did.

Don't know if you've had yours apart - just a thought.

I see. My agent is machining a stainless steel replacement.
    Any take on that...? I'm not too sure abt the properties of stainless steel vs plastic material for such part. Will try it out once its up & running.

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    I see. My agent is machining a stainless steel replacement.
    Any take on that...? I'm not too sure abt the properties of stainless steel vs plastic material for such part. Will try it out once its up & running.
    So are you saying that your "agent" is replacing the original plastic thermostat assembly with a custom made SS housing that is without thermostat?
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by amauri View Post
    So are you saying that your "agent" is replacing the original plastic thermostat assembly with a custom made SS housing that is without thermostat?
    With the thermostat still intact I believe. Will have to see when the part is ready.

With the thermostat still intact I believe. Will have to see when the part is ready.
    A picture would be good Skiddie. Instead of the "agent" telling you they've settled the problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast