Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vacuum Line Routing

Exclamation Vacuum Line Routing

UPDATE: Vacuum line routing figured out, see post #9 below: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...=1#post3119073

Hey all,

My Fut came to me with the vacuum lines a bit knackered (AND a CA carbon canister system - not a good combination!). I'm trying to put it all back to 49-state stock, but I'm having trouble figuring out where everything goes based on the parts fiches. I've got 5 quick questions -->

In the engine diagram below, I have three questions.
    1) The lines in the brown circles go to the throttle body vacuum feeds for each cylinder, correct? (CONFIRMED by RAS)
    2) The green line goes to the the vacuum assisted clutch, I believe...correct?
    3) Where the devil does the black line go?

Name:  Engine.jpg
Views: 26081
Size:  126.2 KB

4) In the air box diagram, where the devil do the pink lines go?

Name:  Airbox.jpg
Views: 10279
Size:  99.8 KB

5) Finally, regarding the check valves (shown as numbers 27 in the engine diagram), which way are they facing? Based on my logic, I should be able to BLOW through them TOWARDS the throttle bodies (so that the vacuum from the TB's can suck through the check valves to operate the vacuum assisted clutch).

Thanks for your help guys - I'm pulling my hair out over this one.
    Last edited by maro6613; 05-19-2012 at 05:17 PM.
    2003 Aprilia RST1000 Futura - 35k my miles
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST - 11k my miles

Past Bikes:
    2004 Yamaha YZF-R1 (Sold!) - 13k my miles
    1995 Triumph Sprint (Sold!) - 15k my miles
    1990 Suzuki VX800 (Sold!) - 12k my miles

I should pay attention to this also. It probably wouldn't hurt me to rerun some new tubes..
    02 aprilia Futura
    15 aprilia Caponord 1200

I got a little bit of insight from Chapter 8 of the workshop manual, but not much. Take a look at the image below, it is the diagram for the vacuum assisted clutch (you can clearly see the vacuum feed for the clutch in panel E). Now, if you take a look at panel D (I boxed it in red), it is clearly an inset from the Engine Diagram in my original post above, albeit with some minor modifications - maybe this is for an RSV or a Tuono, and they just carried the image over into the workshop manual? Taking this in conjunction with the top panel in the image below, it sure looks like the connection in the black circle above doesn't exist per the PPC diagram.

My question is whether vacuum feed line in the purple box below (the one right by the throttle position sensor) is the same as the right one in the brown circle above. If so, where exactly does the other brown connection take off from?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PPC Lines.jpg 
Views:	795 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	191772

Past Bikes:

apriliaforum Member
    marro, if you haven't seen it already, this post #14 is from my bike's previous owner. He took the California carbon canister off the bike. There is a pdf file link at the bottom of the post where he tries to show what he did to the vacuum lines.

Thanks Corkus - that's the excellent guide I used to remove my CA system. However, there's still a few things that are a bit wonky with my vacuum lines that the guide doesn't resolve. I was hoping someone with a non-CA bike could jump in and tell me how their bike is set up.

For example, in that PDF document - blue circle 21, where does the hose that is going off to the right get connected to? Blue circle 16 - the bottom hose obviously gets removed as the red X indicates, but where do the left and right hoses go to/from? I see that the left line is supposed to be a "drain line (to manifold vacuum port)," but that doesn't tell me much other than that it (probably) goes into the throttle body. But what cylinder? Which port? Also, the right line is supposed to be a "cylinder synchronization line," does that mean it's just supposed to be one of the lines that is capped unless you are synching the TB's?

Something just isn't adding up on my bike, and I'm scratching my head over all of these documents trying to figure out how non-CA bikes come from the factory.

Past Bikes:

The brown circled hoses do go to individual TBs. In the Ts just after, each has a hose with a plug. Those are the balance hoses.

Excellent, just as I thought RAS. I updated my first post with that answer.

Past Bikes:

OK all, I think I have most of this figured out after poring through the manual and some buried old posts.

The brown lines in the image below go to the front and rear TB vacuum feeds. The green line goes to the clutch diaphragm, I still don't know where the black line goes.
    Name:  Engine.jpg
Views: 7231
Size:  129.4 KB

In the image below, one pink line goes to the non-pressure side of the fuel regulator, and the other pink line goes to the ECU for barometric pressure sensing (this makes sense, as it is fed from the air box). I'm sure about this one, and this is confirmed by all of the information I've found.
Views: 7240
Size:  105.3 KB

A lot of this info was pulled from this thread:
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...=1#post2839974

HOWEVER!!!

Some of this information is directly contradicted by information in this post, which I believe does have some merit to it based on the PPC diagram:

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...=1#post2444480

Based on the 6 points in this post, the layout would be as laid out in the below images. The front TB vacuum feed is capped, and both of the rear TB vacuum feeds (in the grey box) go to the clutch after passing through a check valve.

Name:  engine alternate.jpg
Views: 7948
Size:  143.5 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PPC Lines - alternate.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	191828

Anyone have thoughts on the above two options?
    Last edited by maro6613; 05-17-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Past Bikes:

Hey all, I think I have it all figured out. Most of the problems stem from the Aprilia parts fiche for the Futura "Engine diagram" being incorrect - I've got a few reasons to back this up.

Lets start with what should be a very basic question - what side of the engine are we looking at? The gearshift, coolant distributor, and throttle cable cam suggest that we're looking at the left side of the engine (as you're sitting on the bike). However, they show the incorrect side of the fuel pressure regulator - the portion of the FPR they show is on the opposite side of the engine.

Next, look at vacuum line "26" in the very top left of the diagram. This shows the line connecting to the front throttle body on the right side of the engine - there is no front throttle body vacuum line on that side of the throttle body. Furthermore, it only accounts for 2 of the 3 vacuum feeds on the throttle body - there is one on the front throttle body and two on the rear, but the diagram only shows one on the rear. Finally, I have no clue where the extraneous hose "25" down by the clutch should go. Problem!

Name:  engine original.jpg
Views: 20343
Size:  86.7 KB

My solution? Use the Caponord engine diagram! It is actually correct - it accounts for all three vacuum feeds and shows the connections in the correct locations. It also shows the correct side of the FPR. I notated it below (and included my notated air box diagram for the sake of being complete). As a further "feel good," it agrees with the PPC diagram I posted above from the workshop manual - the clutch is fed by two vacuum lines which are right next to each other - if you look closely at panel C of the PPC diagram above, it actually shows a picture of these two connections - one is in the purple box (the one that takes off right next to the throttle position sensor), and one is slightly below it.

Name:  Caponord Engine.jpg
Views: 38722
Size:  113.7 KB

Views: 6982
Size:  105.3 KB
    Last edited by maro6613; 05-19-2012 at 12:34 PM.

Past Bikes:

apriliaforum Member
    Very resourceful. I don't have any vacuum lines to route right now but this thread is a good lesson for me. This shows how to go through the technical details until the job can be done right. Thanks.

A final note - the ONE check valve should point UP - you should be able to blow through it towards the throttle bodies.

Past Bikes:

apriliaforum Junkie
    Very good detective work. Way to go ! !
    JBC

Now if I could just trace all the hoses through the wiring!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    02 aprilia Futura
    15 aprilia Caponord 1200

That was the hardest part for me too. I would've been able to figure this out inside of an hour if my bike wiring didn't look like a birds nest!

Past Bikes:

for maro
    It flies sideways through time
    It's an electric line
    To your zodiac sign
    I've got a Yellow Machine

2002 Futura, Silver - now sold