Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's up with Bimota USA?

apriliaforum Member
    The DB6 Delirio DS1000 shown in the photo looks exactly like mine, except I've got carbon fiber ZARD slip-ons, which were included in the sale price. Bought it brand new about three years ago while my neighbor purchased the dealership owners DB5 with 500 miles. We both paid $13,000.00 OTD so $30,000.00 to $40,000.00 MSRP's weren't even part of the discussion. Both bikes have been bulletproof with no problems. Neither is a rocket but they sure put smiles on our faces up here in the mountains of New Mexico. The attention to detail is staggering.

Hell of a bike for $13k. The workmanship is sick on those things.
    Bikes:
    2007.5 Tuono-Black, with 1102cc's of micah's badness!
    2012 Griso-Silver and black, Agostini pipe, some carbon bits.
    2006 Vespa GT200-bitubo suspension all around, Malossi big-bore, head and cam, Akrapovic pipe, all put together by Micah.

gone 2002 Caponord-Oyster gray (as faithful as a hound dog)
    gone Futura-Red (on the AF1 showroom floor. Get some.)

The more I learn about people, the more I appreciate rocks.

apriliaforum expert Bill in OKC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IBA270 View Post
    Micah; there are several reasons I started servicing my own Ducati's years ago...and certainly one reason was the quality...or lack of consistent quality of Ducati techs. I've met more average to below than above.
    I always considered Dallas somewhat of a center of excellence for Ducatis. Jeff Nash (I am not sure if he actually works on bikes these days) along with Stuart Rust were/are like wizards with those motors. The only times I can remember standing in front of a new Bimota that was for sale were in Salt Lake City.
    '02 RSVR '07 S4Rs '13 FXSB '75 GT550 '74 H1 500 '71 CB750 '72 Combat Commando Roadster - restoration in progress-will be yellow

apriliaforum Member
    Salt Lake City is where my buddy and I bought our Bimotas. I think Salt Lake Ducati has since dropped the Bimota line-up.

apriliaforum expert Geedub/GeoR's Avatar
    Last Ducati dealer I dealt with ( Miami) told me that I had voided my warranty on the whole bike because I had adjusted the suspension myself (instead of paying him to do it). You can just imagine what my reply was. Also the dealer tried to double dip, he first charged me for what should have been warranty work, then they also billed Ducati.

It wasn't any better on Ducati's side either. I spoke with a rep at the track and called the distributor UMPTEEN times before I got a reply - no they wouldn't cover the repair or replace the part. The ride height adjuster had frozen solid - they all did- because they mounted an aluminium nut on a threaded steel shaft (or the other way around?) without greasing it first and dissimilar metals ... Ducati refused to even look at it and claimed "owner/operator abuse.
    But I'm repeating myself I had already posted all this when it first happened.

I'd be curious to know if Ducati's customer service has improved under their new ownership?
    "I'm envious of "conservatives" who can see the future, read minds, and with subtle hints interpret hidden agendas all of which seem to lead to our purposeful destruction by demented "liberals". -Old fart

“The refusal to take the time to understand things in any number of dimensions greater than one is the chief source of the national stupidity.” — Menand, Louis.

I can be wrong but with the VW/Audi purchase of Ducati, Bimota wil be shopping around for engine suppliers. AD-12 anyone????
    13 Blue Connie, C14 ABS (GTR 1400), 59k miles
    12 Super T 1200, 55k miles, gone
    09 Red Connie, C14 ABS (GTR 1400), 59k miles, gone
    03 Cappy; 07 Tuonita, both gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Bill in OKC View Post
    I always considered Dallas somewhat of a center of excellence for Ducatis. Jeff Nash (I am not sure if he actually works on bikes these days) along with Stuart Rust were/are like wizards with those motors.
    Jeff occasionally relies on outside expertise for some of the tough stuff. He still does the work on a coupla my bikes. My 2008 1098R had quite a few issues and Jeff was pretty disappointed with the issues he discovered while working on that engine. He has acknowledged improvement in their quality in the last 2 years.
    A mind is like a parachute: It doesn't work if it isn't open. FZ

When dictatorship is a fact, revolution becomes a right. Victor Hugo

So, the fear of death might be described as the fear of not being able to become whom one had planned to be. Pascal Mercier

Quote Originally Posted by Micah / AF1 Racing View Post
    Axe sometimes I wonder how strong you think I am? On a serious note about importing Bimota to the USA it is my opinion they would need to sell at least 300-500 units even in year one to make it worthwhile for say a 3-5 person distribution operation located say in the central part of Texas oon cheap land beetween Austin and Houston? Axe, my number seem close? Then the real question is can Bimota build enough bikes and supply parts reliably enough. Maybe time to for a fact finding mission across the Atlantic and the continent huh? We should travel by private jet, just found the old marketing manager from Piaggio is working for Gulfstream and asked him to see about a long "demo" flight...

If distributed through Port of Houston, warehoused almost tax free in Texas and smart economics on the import side it may be possible to actually make Bimota a success here in the USA again. I think building a proper dealer network to be the hardest part, while most use Ducati sourced motors I am not thrilled with the quality of technical Ducati employees I have met nationwide, some are excellent, most are average at best but all hold a certificate that makes them think they walk on water.

Why do you make me ponder these things...
    A trip to Italy. Hmmm......so what's your September looking like?
    A mind is like a parachute: It doesn't work if it isn't open. FZ

When dictatorship is a fact, revolution becomes a right. Victor Hugo

So, the fear of death might be described as the fear of not being able to become whom one had planned to be. Pascal Mercier

Are you contemplating becoming the Bimota distributor/liason Axecent???

DM
    #1 Forum Magic Missile Caster

"I rode a Griso at when I used to work for Aprilia City in Melbourne. Probably the nicest bike ever" - Cosaro

1972 Laverda SF 750
    2007 Moto Guzzi Griso 1100
    2003 Moto Guzzi California Titanium 1100 - for sale

was helping a friend on his uncles property , looked in a shed , rolling chassis w/body , no motor though ........ made an offer . motor went to shop in
    Houston , 7-8 years ago . son parked it and never came back for it . dad has title .have head and cases .... need a Wiseco cylinder block and 1260 cc big bore pistons . hoping I can pull this off .
    I see a Tuono 1100rr ....... In my future . With saddlebags so I can call it a commuter .............

Dated my wife on an '84 GPZ750 Turbo ........ had it for 8 years , her for 23 . tried a second wife , now I need a new ..............bike .

Not sure if anything has changed with Bimota Spirit, but I did just see pictures on Facebook showing 4 shiny new Bimotas get dropped off at Moto Motivo in Raleigh, NC: 1 DBX and 1 Tesi 3D Naked (both sans engines) and 2 DB8 Oronero (complete).

apriliaforum expert norcolmille's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mckee View Post
    was helping a friend on his uncles property , looked in a shed , rolling chassis w/body , no motor though ........ made an offer . motor went to shop in
    Houston , 7-8 years ago . son parked it and never came back for it . dad has title .have head and cases .... need a Wiseco cylinder block and 1260 cc big bore pistons . hoping I can pull this off .
    Good luck - that would be a fun build
    present
    now a 2017 Aprilia Tuono RR let the mods begin
    sold the fun little 675 daytona
    previous - two Gen2 "Factories"
    5 past Apes and other rides too numerous to mention

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12