Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2363717273
Results 1,081 to 1,087 of 1087

Thread: Hey guys, long time no post. New project.

dad:

me chasing eric on dad's bike

Get your confidence back with Aprilia.

caution: the use of motorcycles may be habit forming. side effects include purchasing multiple examples of the same bike, in different states of tune, different years, or different models altogether. some motorcycles may be not running when purchased. some parts are no longer available. there are rare instances where aprilias are bought over the internet and upon arrival, they are not as were originally disclosed. there is a small group of people who cannot handle two stroke engines and motorcycle maintenance. if this is the case, you may not be a candidate for Aprilia RS250's.

Aprilia. Ask your doctor if the RS250 is right for you.

made a friend while out at the track last time, his name is also Matt (sn: dextroyer sp? ) and he showed interest in building a 50/125 RMV125 disaster.

so of course, i let him take a spin on this thing:

I must say over the last two track days, especially with the modifications that i've done, i'm definitely improving on the bike in major ways.

the new setup has much much more overrev in the engine powerband. I can rev out and higher much easier, and if i want to rev above to stay in gear as opposed to shifting up and then back down again, I can. The engine routinely pulls right into the rev limiter which I have set at 12k, but I think i can probably raise it without any issue.

I think it is getting time to dyno it again and see how the powerband has shifted witht he new cylinder head insert. the initial throttle response is much smoother, the bike is much easier to open the throttle with, especially coming out of corners. I think this is mainly the combination of the lower compression due to the new insert, and less timing due to the TPS variable 3d ignition map that i put in. I think that since the behavior has changed so much since when i previously rode the bike, for the good, it's about that time to put it back on the dyno and see what we have. It will be interesting if it's down on power, but perhaps that is the case.

Other than replace the battery and replace the front brake fluid, i don't know what else the bike needs before the next track day. I am looking at palm beach international raceway Friday night, July 5th..

we will see!

caution: the use of motorcycles may be habit forming. side effects include purchasing multiple examples of the same bike, in different states of tune, different years, or different models altogether. some motorcycles may be not running when purchased. some parts are no longer available. there are rare instances where aprilias are bought over the internet and upon arrival, they are not as were originally disclosed. there is a small group of people who cannot handle two stroke engines and motorcycle maintenance. if this is the case, you may not be a candidate for Aprilia RS250's.

Palm Beach, you're in my neck of the woods. Sucks I might go to St Augustine July 4-5 then Tampa 6-8 and back to Miami
    1999 RS 50

Stock engine, stock pipe, giannelli can

Dellorto PHBG 17mm AS carburetor
    atomizer = 262 AU
    main jet = 86
    idle jet = 52
    starter jet = 60
    float = gr .4
    needle = W7
    slide = 40

apriliaforum newb
    Palm Beach didn't pan out, but you know what did? Me committing to build up another one of these bad boys!

Your bike performed fantastic! Me having no experience with a 2 stroke coupled with the lingering dread of riding someone else's bike is evident in your GoPro footage but it captured the moment that I was absolutely sold on having a bike like this that could pull double duty at the kart track and the big bike track. While the hairpins are definitely tight for a full size bike at BMP the little RS effortlessly flicks and feels so stable. Just wait till you ride my Grom next time we are out there (hopefully when it is not 95 degrees out) and get some perspective from a more mini moto.

yeah so, where to begin? When we were out at bushnell, Matt ( Dextroyer ) showed genuine interest in building one of these.

I gave him my word on an agreement that if he was truly interested, would be too hard to pass up.

"i have a roller at my house. if you show up with an engine, you can have the roller and i'll put the engine in for you, just help out "

genuinely, i've told other people this before, so i didn't really believe he would actually act on it, as no one has before.

at least until he showed up with an engine! he bought a whole 97 CR125 runner that was taken care of. So he has all the good stuff and all the things needed to make the swap go as straightforward as possible.

i do wish i had the garage a little more organized and setup with like, workbenches and what not, but hey, it is what it is... air conditioned garage is still better than open air mosquito laden garage...

the stock motor mounts were cut off of the rear subframe and the lower kickstand and exhaust mount cross beam support

the snugulator roller location was notched out on the kickstand cross beam support as well

with some careful measuring and double checking, we cut the swingarm and test fit the motor before making some final adjustments and then installing the bronze bushings

i 3d printed up a nylon spacer to fit inside the cr125 swingarm pivot bolt hole in the cases to adapt to the rs50 swingarm pivot bolt diameter. a perfect fit after some final dressing so we know that axially the front sprocket is exactly on the same axis orientation as the swingarm pivot and the rear sprocket ( although the rear sprocket angle can change due to the rear wheel / chain adjuster angle )

engine and swingarm installed

where we are currently...

Front Cradle, front radiator mount... that's really all I see it needing before matt can take it home and finish the rest at his place...

apriliaforum newb
    This build has me buzzing like mad! The super ironic part was that the day before we met at Bushnell I met someone who put a YZ125 motor in an 03 RS50 and spent the evening trying to find an RS online. I forced myself out of bed with 4 hours of sleep to go a 95 degree track day only to discover not one, but TWO of such bikes running the track an hour from home. The planets aligned for this to come together I swear!

Awesome! You’re lucky to have the help of someone who’s been there and done that. With projects like this the hardest part is sometimes solving challenges like the chain roller or swingarm pivot. The blood, sweat and tears of fabrication is par for the course.

Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2363717273