Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: aprilia mana 850

Quote Originally Posted by pete roper View Post
    As for the whole vexxed 'auto' issue? well I believe you shouldn't get a car licence unless you can drive with a stick. I feel the same with bikes. Once you know how to use gears though I see no reason why you should be forced to if you choose not to.

Why? Should I also know how to use a spark advance and manual choke? Perhaps everyone should get an old boat of a car without airbags and seatbelts as their first car. Also kids today should really go learn how punch cards and vacuum tubes work before they are allowed to learn about computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryowatt View Post
    Why? Should I also know how to use a spark advance and manual choke? Perhaps everyone should get an old boat of a car without airbags and seatbelts as their first car. Also kids today should really go learn how punch cards and vacuum tubes work before they are allowed to learn about computers.

Didn't expect everyone to agree but my own belief is that learning to use a vehicle with gears teaches you a whole lot more about the physics of how it works and behaves. Drivers nowadays are hopelessly de skilled and 'Driving' is almost universally seen as something that can be combined with other activities, talking on the phone, eating,applying make-up, updating your facebook page etc. Many people only thing a car has three controls. Stop. Go. And Steer. Despite the fact that vehicles have become infinitely better over the years and continue to improve accident statistics seem to have plateaud. Why? Because people can't drive because they don't understand how a vehicle behaves so they abuse the laws of physics. The results are predictable. See the 'Bad Crash' thread for a prime example of this mentality.

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum expert
    Didn't expect everyone to agree but my own belief is that learning to use a vehicle with gears teaches you a whole lot more about the physics of how it works and behaves. Drivers nowadays are hopelessly de skilled and 'Driving' is almost universally seen as something that can be combined with other activities, talking on the phone, eating,applying make-up, updating your facebook page etc. Many people only thing a car has three controls. Stop. Go. And Steer. Despite the fact that vehicles have become infinitely better over the years and continue to improve accident statistics seem to have plateaud. Why? Because people can't drive because they don't understand how a vehicle behaves so they abuse the laws of physics. The results are predictable. See the 'Bad Crash' thread for a prime example of this mentality.

Pete
    The double edged sword is that although things are being made safer and easier we are to a degree getting dummied down by our reliance on them. For example: How many don't know how to spell or speak well, due in part to the fact that they rely on spell and grammer checking applications too heavily? Spell checking undeniably is a good thing however it is even better when the writer has a decent understanding of how to spell and use the words that will best convey their thoughts.

Will the day come when most of us will not know how to chew our own food? ;>

apriliaforum Junkie
    Not only did I teach my (now adult) children to drive a car with a manual transmission, all of their first cars were manual shift. In a pinch, they would be able to drive pretty much anything that is street legal.

Learning to ride / drive a manual teaches coordination - clutch, shift, throttle and steering. Anyone who can't handle that in a cage probably shouldn't be on a motorcycle, except as a passenger.

While I don't advocate teaching youngsters about manual chokes, punch cards and vacuum tubes, those things don't affect my safety like an inept driver / rider !
    Previous rides:
    2009 Mana 850, 2005 K1200S, 2004 Multistrada,
    2002 R1100S (modified), 2003 R1150RT,2005 FJR1300,

apriliaforum prov-nov blackcat23's Avatar
    Rocky, you spelt grammar wrong!

Drivers nowadays are hopelessly de skilled and 'Driving' is almost universally seen as something that can be combined with other activities, talking on the phone, eating,applying make-up, updating your facebook page etc. Many people only thing a car has three controls. Stop. Go. And Steer. Despite the fact that vehicles have become infinitely better over the years and continue to improve accident statistics seem to have plateaud. Why? Because people can't drive because they don't understand how a vehicle behaves so they abuse the laws of physics.
    I hear the attention argument brought up in the manual vs auto debate all the time, but I think most people get it wrong. Driving an automatic doesn't make people drooling morons behind the wheel, drooling morons simply choose automatics. Would forcing them to drive stick make things better? Personally I don't think so. I think they would still text, drink starbucks, update their facebook WHILE shifting. Really the root cause is that there are too many people on the road who just suck at driving and either need more training or the removal of their licenses.

To look at it another way, attentive drivers should be better with an automatic. I consider myself a very attentive driver. If someone calls me I refuse to answer my phone until I've reached my destination or I've safetly pulled off the road. I personally think that driving stick would actually hurt my driving ability because shifting takes away from me paying attention to the road. Driving a stick is a distraction.

Now some reports may say "driving manual is safer than automatic". But like most studies/news reports they are usually confusing correlation and causation. Manual drivers are probably safer because of the type of people who by manuals are different than the typical automatic driver. Essentially all the pete roper's in the world skew the statistics in favour of manual shifting.

But really, isn't knowing the implementation details of a manual transmission entirely irrelevant when driving a vehicle that doesn't have "gears" in the traditional sense of the word? Every vehicle I own right now is driven by a CVT. The feeling of shifting gears is an foreign sensation to me now. The gearbox is simply a work-around for the fact that internal combustion engines physics aren't well suited to driving a vehicle. They have a narrow power band, they can't start themselves up from 0 rpm, and they stall when they drop bellow a certain RPM limit. It's because of these reasons that the gearbox/clutch were invented. If we end up driving vehicles with cvts or in-wheel motors then what's the point of forcing everyone to learn about outdate tech? This is why I draw the comparison of shifting to spark advance. The arugments that driving stick is good would imply that driving with manual spark advance is better. But does distracting the driver in any way make sense?

</rant>

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I personally have found that I have more brain cycles available to analyze what is happening ahead and behind me especially when passing or other busy situations.
    I don't believe I will ever go back to a manual shift. Manual shifting in a car is so automatic (pun intended) that I don't have to think about it. It isn't true for me on motorcycles. Perhaps if I rode 30k + miles every year on a bike it might be different.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
    Rocky, you spelt grammar wrong!
    I'm a victim I tell ya!

Almost like a self fulfilling prophesy.

I left school at 15 and am always horrified by how bad my spelling is when I check it!!!!!

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Better that your spelling is bad than your smelling is bad ...
    Previous rides:
    2009 Mana 850, 2005 K1200S, 2004 Multistrada,
    2002 R1100S (modified), 2003 R1150RT,2005 FJR1300,

apriliaforum newb
    My Mana 850 GT sucks in every way possible. I should have never traded in my old ride.
    Current ride is Mana 850GT
    Old ride was Ninja 500r

apriliaforum newb
    [QUOTE=ColoradoRider;3044630]Is anyone else missing a clutch lever ?

Yes my left hand constantly goes to the non existant clutch handle when I slow down... it is amazing how the brains establishes patterns....

apriliaforum prov-nov downtowntommy's Avatar

aprilia mana 850

Hey guys yes it me Tommy , I kinda thought this sit where a bunch of bullies So I closed it and Just re opened it ! And now see most of you where joking , and I missed judged you all to fast. !so with that being said. I'd like back in the gang lol

Welcome back Tommy! Sorry if you thought you were being bullied, I think people thought you may have been joking around with your original post, so everyone ran with it. Did you ever get a Mana??

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650 ABS (current)
    1987 Harley Davidson Lowrider Sport (current)
    2009 Aprilia Mana
    2006 Suzuki SV 650
    1984 Yamaha Virago
    1975 Yamaha YZ80 - 1972 Honda Z50 - 1971 Honda QA50

Bullies? Us? Well, maybe Pete, but the rest of us are ok.
    "Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue..."

Current bike: 2012 BMW R1200RT
    Previous bikes: 2009 Aprilia Mana, 2009 Piaggio MP3

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast