Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused with maps..........

apriliaforum Member krisstiffer's Avatar

Confused with maps..........

Not lost again but after reading through the many and varied threads regarding the Aprilia maps in order to determine what was loaded into my bike I have to admit to being a bit confused by what seem to be conflicting statements.

In a nutshell, my 2001 bike had all the low rev gremlins associated with the 2001's until I had a new map loaded during a service early in June 2003. As far as I know this was before the 05 map was released to the world. After the new map the bike was transformed. I don't recall any significant reduction in engine braking as some 05 "upgradees" have mentioned. My EFI light does not flash after the display diags.

Questions
    1. Anyone definitively know how many Aprilia maps there have been?
    2. Which is my bike likely to have had loaded last year and how can I confirm this (already contacted the dealer - all they could say was it was the latest at the time)?

Reason I ask is that my bike is nearly out of warranty and once it is I plan on pulling the restrictor and fitting a K&N filter but not changing the exhaust - I've also read in various places here that the 05 map doesn't respond well to this. Anyone have experience of this?

Ta.
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is not.

apriliaforum expert
    My EFI light does not flash after the display diags.
    That line says you have the 05 map ....... which is still the latest to my knowledge, and to my knowledge it was indeed June 2003 it first appeared, but wasn't issued wholesale till about sept/oct.
    You are using the latest .......IMHO

Rab

Cheers Rab - I knew the Fut Oracle wouldn't let me down!

The following are the edit notes stored within the 05 map - read using TuneEdit/Tuneboy:

"This is the 050918 tune for the RST Futura.
    Release date for this tune is 03/06/03"

"This is the 050918 tune for the RST Futura.
    Release date for this tune is 03/06/03"
    Bloody hell - I must have been one of the first then - mine was updated on 6/6/3 - Euro date format of course......

apriliaforum newb
    I had my '01 remapped with the "05". I ran it derestricted, Evoluzione air filtered, 15 tooth sprocketed, and H-piped with no problems at all. I was concerned that when I took the H-pipe off it would start spitting stuff all over the license plate again like it did with the original mapping, but that did not happen.

My fuel mileage stayed the same too. It was the best $37 I ever spent on a motorcycle.

Rick Lloyd
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Rick Lloyd

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My EFI light does not flash after the display diags.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That line says you have the 05 map ....... which is still the latest to my knowledge, and to my knowledge it was indeed June 2003 it first appeared, but wasn't issued wholesale till about sept/oct.
    You are using the latest .......IMHO

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I mention this every time this question pops up so why not one more time. My 02 has the same map that was installed at the factory 12/01. It has never had the off throttle issues & the EFI does not flash! So what does that tell you?

John B.

apriliaforum expert
    maybe it is just fooked ......

On a more serious note, it should, therefor I figure ........

It may be faulty ....
    it may be a beta version that was used interim, when in 02 did you buy it?
    Someone may have fitted a Capo ECU at the factory by mistake .... it has a nice smooth map

Take your pick John, on a serious note, again, what it does say is.
    Whatever map it is you have, it is not the 01 Futura map as was in use 12/01. So take it from there, what are the logical explanations?

Finding out would require tuneboy to read it and then, (I believe) send a copy to Wayne to have it converted, and then it could be opened out in table and graph format for all to read. It will also have an identity number.

Till then, we are guessing.
    If you have a re-map done at the dealer, your old map will just be written over and lost!

There, once again, clear as mud

Rab

We may find out whats in there on Thursday if the factory tool can give that info as I will have the bike at the dealer for a leaky seal. As for the 01 map being installed in 12/01 I find that unlikely as the 02 production would have started in September 01 at the latest. I spoke to 2 other 02 owners on Sunday that also had no throttle issues & were using the stock map from that time with the same EFI function as mine. I think there is a lot of misleading info about the "05" map out there & the flashing EFI is just more of it.

Ahh from clarity to muddiness in 3 easy posts.........

I was under the impression from the history of threads here that there have been three maps from Priller....
    1. The original and jerky one as installed in 2001 bikes
    2. Another one that was just referred to as "the new map" that was available and being discussed in the second half of 2002 (ie the one I read about when I first got my bike and started following this forum)
    3. The "05" map that, as far as I can recall, started being mentioned on the forum sometime last summer but from previous posts looks like it was released in June 2003.

Is it possible that the confusion is arising because neither of the two latest maps flash the EFI light? Just a thought......

Actually the dealer's "it was the latest one" comment, coupled with the release date info seems now to give me my answer - they downloaded the latest map from Aprilia on 6th June - 3 days after the release of "05" - looks like it's 05 then. Same answer as Rab but from a different direction.

Ta for the input Rick. Time/weather/work permitting I have the compulsion to fettle the airbox this weekend.

Krisstiffer + Spanners = Comedy!

I think you're close on the 3 maps. The first map was only used early in the 01 production. The second "02" map was in all 02s & some late 01s and cured the jerky throttle of the early bikes. The 05 came out in 03 sometime. Talking with the mechanic at my dealership today he said Aprilia is advising them not to load the 05 map in 01 or 02 bikes as it could mess up the sensors. They are saying it was designed for the later bikes & could cause problems due to the different tpi settings & such. Maybe this is why some have had to resort to the Tuneboy to get the bike sorted after loading the 05 map. Or maybe it's BS. Just thought I'd pass it on.

John B.
    Problem free with the 02 map

Aprilia is advising them not to load the 05 map in 01 or 02 bikes as it could mess up the sensors.
    Bollox if you account for the map being in my 03 er.. 02 er.. 01 for almost a year.
    Sensors can mess up ECU's but can maps mess up sensors?

Maps can mess up one's head, that's a given!

Again: if your EFI flashes twice, you definitely do not have the stock 05 map.
    If it doesn't flash, that doesn't mean you have the 05 map.

Clear as mud again.

05-map

There is another way to find out. When the rpm drops below 2000 on closed trottle, the engine brake goes away on the old map.
    Hans

There is another way to find out. When the rpm drops below 2000 on closed trottle, the engine brake goes away on the old map

Not true on my bike or others I've spoken to with 02s. I went out one day after reading complaints of this & tried to make mine do this. I can shut the throttle & engine brake cleanly down to almost idle speed & smoothly accelerate back up. No loss of engine braking & no herky/jerky throttle. As stated before my map has been in since 12/01.

John B.

apriliaforum prov-nov OrcaSupreme's Avatar

Dirty Rear

Hey, Rick (or anybody else): do you think the 05 map stopped your bike from throwing crap all over the rear of your bike? My '02 Fut is derestricted with 'Tunes, and after even a 10 mile ride the license plate and exhaust pipes are heavily peppered with soot.

My dealer swears I have the most current map in there since the bike is an '02, but the bike sure is jumpy up to about 2500 RPM.

Thanks.
    -- Dave
    -- 2002 Futura in blazing fast Stream Silver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast