Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Vespa 300 SUPER (should end up living up that name)

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Well no progress on my 300 Super this week, it was needed by Pirelli for the F1 weekend and I let them borrow it in exchange for tickets (VIP) to the F1 Austin race..which I leave for in seconds.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Beverly ...Hills that is; swimmin' pools, mooovie staaars.
    Granted, F1 races are a necessary part of making scooters wheelie...time well spent I'm sure.

'09 SC 250
    V4 Malossi Head & Cylinder (ported & polished ; j )
    203cc Injector (Scarabeo 500)
    Akrapovic slip-on
    12g sliders w/ stiff clutch & contrast springs
    Michelin Power Pure

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah / AF1 Racing View Post
    Well no progress on my 300 Super this week, it was needed by Pirelli for the F1 weekend and I let them borrow it in exchange for tickets (VIP) to the F1 Austin race..which I leave for in seconds.
    Show off!!!! :-)

apriliaforum Member
    Just buy your head from Rich at HGT and have him send it down...about $300 in porting time was spent on mine which is a little quicker than the ones I have done for other folks...know which cutters and bits to reach for now.
    I presume that HGT is "High Gain Tuning" - but can't find the part listed there!!

PS I am in Australia - would it be possible to get the head done by you and shipped to me? By the slowest cheapest possible shipping!!?? I have a mechanic over here who would help me fit the head and parts but no one has done the amount of research that you have shown here!!

Yes, I mean Rich at High Gain Tuning in Colorado, just go to Malossi website and pick out parts you want, most likely the cylinder kit with flat top high compression piston and the V4 head...email those part numbers over to HGT for purchase instructions. I would be happy to spend a couple to three hours on your head to make it look nice and pretty and then I can ship down to you in Oz but not on the boat, too much stuff gets damaged in ocean shipping. If you want I can even send the head out for the full Serdi or Newen valve job and do the porting at my place...whatever you desire. "Cheap" does not really go with any of these parts though...you have to really love your Vespa to justify the costs of doing all this.

We at AF1 have recently acquired a new re-flash system that can get into the 300cc computers...I am going to try making a custom mapping for mine first but there may be a re-flash for Malossi V4 head coming in the near future too. Just additional options to consider. Once I get my head installed and run in I will be tuning mine via the oem computer lambda feedback and then injector size and fuel pressure at first, I will delve into deeper mapping if that is not enough. I am currently at 16.2-16.5 bhp and shooting for 20-22bhp with the head at the tire, I am guessing the stock 2.5 Bar fuel pressure will not be quite high enough.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

apriliaforum Member Mike Holland's Avatar
    Some of the German fanatics are well into re-programming the EFI. Have you browsed around Vespaforum.de? You will need to use an online translator if you don't speak German.

I am happy with my Malossi Lambda Emulator, but it does increase fuel consumption a bit.

Mike

I have pretty good control over the closed loop fueling with nothing more than a modified FatDuc lambda modifier which is pretty similar to the Malossi unit in function. I need access to spark tables though...and Rexxer should get me inside the ecu for some editing, the Rexxer package will be to the shop soon enough to play with the tuning on the Vespa and hopefully develop an excellent re-flash map for use with the Malossi cylinder head. I also really need to be able to see injector duty cycle, this will be very important once boost is added to the equation as will spark timing. I am already thinking of how to properly lock up the variator for fine tuning of the whole rpm range, I want excellent throttle response and the stock computer falls a little short there, or the stock mapping does at least.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Cool

I am already thinking of how to properly lock up the variator for fine tuning of the whole rpm range,
    Superglue?

Or a piece of string through the rollers to keep them all half-way out? A knot on each side to keep it balanced!

Interesting question. How great is the centrifugal force exerted by the rollers at high rpm? How tough would a piece of string need to be?

Mike

apriliaforum Member
    few things make me sadder than coming to this thread and seeing no updates!!

Beverly ...Hills that is; swimmin' pools, mooovie staaars.
    Quote Originally Posted by bunnybash View Post
    few things make me sadder than coming to this thread and seeing no updates!!
    Yes but one mustn't rush genius... ; j

'09 SC 250
    V4 Malossi Head & Cylinder (ported & polished ; j )
    203cc Injector (Scarabeo 500)
    Akrapovic slip-on
    12g sliders w/ stiff clutch & contrast springs
    Michelin Power Pure

I have the head ready to go ported and on my bench...but either the scooter has been in use (borrowed by Pirelli for a week or demo rides or shop scooter duties) and I have been very busy with dyno and motor work on other bikes. I really am hoping to get the head installed and baseline tested this week...hoping for 20 bhp, that's not too much right? My scooter is also being used to test map flashes on...and eventually to develop a downloadable flash able mapping for the V4 head with a pipe and airbox mods to get the most out of the motor in the configuration most people are going to use.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

I will take some studio pics of the head to add to this post, like I said I have been way behind the ball on dyno work lately because of issues with bikes, power commanders, kit ecu's and learning new software...which hopefully will make this one bad mofo when it finally is done. I will not consider it done until it runs under boost perfectly...but to keep it all logical and stuff so information is gleaned for all...I am doing it in little steps and tuning at each step so we can all get some answers in a world very devoid of true performance tuning facts about these motors. I will post the completed project eventually at modern Vespa but not until it really is complete...

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Micah, thus discussion has centered on the engine. What are your thoughts about the transmission? I ask because Dr.Pulley has just brought out a variator specially designed for their sliders, item V201503. Considering the sliders alone give almost as much performance as a Malossi/Polini variator, I think this is well worth looking at. Combined with their HiT clutch it should make a very good setup!

Mike

Tranny wise the stock parts are fine for a long belt and clutch life and smooth and drama free acceleration around town....not really what I am looking for in this scooter. I like the DR Pulley stuff and may be willing tomtrynit out once I get the motor sorted. Until the motor is making power correctly and across the whole rpm range the tranny tuning is not required. I know from previous experiences that the right roller weight and rear clutch springs along can totally transform the street manners of the GTS/GTV/Super so we will be going down that route eventually. My stock clutch will probably be burned crispy by dyno time so after that I will start seriously looking at alternative parts!

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

apriliaforum Member
    The Dr Pulley HiT clutch was awesome on the 500ie Beo that I had... amazing for acceleration.

Had the Beo doing 0-60 in under 5 seconds, along with all the other mods

Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast