Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Vespa 300 SUPER (should end up living up that name)

Name:  PA1140766.jpg
Views: 2674
Size:  39.2 KB

Beverly ...Hills that is; swimmin' pools, mooovie staaars.
    Name:  PA1105560.jpg
Views: 2762
Size:  19.8 KBName:  emir_gp3.jpg
Views: 2685
Size:  20.2 KB

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    See how long the header and "collector" are even for a 14k rpm motor...the Arrow pipe is a display part I am guessing more than a race part like the Akro pictured. Jesus, that is a sweet bike, that is the sort of thing that would actually get me interested in visiting my local KTM dealer!
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Beverly ...Hills that is; swimmin' pools, mooovie staaars.
    I figured the display pipe would give a good idea of the overall header length...so you're thinking longer for the quasar 250/300, hmm. What a bout a longer header with a cone type baffle...like on the old modded SR500 Yamahas? Yes, a very sweet bike for those who've got an extra $50K ; j

'09 SC 250
    V4 Malossi Head & Cylinder (ported & polished ; j )
    203cc Injector (Scarabeo 500)
    Akrapovic slip-on
    12g sliders w/ stiff clutch & contrast springs
    Michelin Power Pure

Well I said I wasn't gonna do it...but I put on an Akro this morning...so much better than stock! The db killer bolt on this one was stripped so I am just gonna leave it in place like I normally do but did want to dyno with and without the choker in the pipe. The Akro was free from a totaled bike...just the right price and the scratches do not bother me at all, it makes it match the rest of the scooter better really.

Well...by the end of the day the awesome fully adjustable Bitubo shock from the totaled scooter migrated over to my 300 Super...damn the difference is night and day and the ride height is up now as well, will set up proper sag and rebound to match what I have at the rear here shortly. The difference is cornering stability is pretty big for simply maxxing out rear ride height and adding a shock....me likes....the pipe helps too....

This scooter got a brand new Akro as part of a wreck repair....hmmm, what to do with the old "junk" Akro...then another total loss scooter came in with an Akro...so I have now have one modified with no internal baffle "stopper plate" and one as delivered from Akro.

Found a new home for that old junk pipe....and saved a shitload of cash! God I love getting free parts! I scratch up everything I own anyway...pre scratched! Just my speed.

The final roll out the door for this Vespa....HARD front hit, total loss and parted out, need anything, just check the online store under the Vespa section and sub category "used parts"

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

apriliaforum Member
    I am still following this thread closely... My wife and I are planning on moving to America next year, so we are going to have to be in touch to order something awesome!!! I am thinking that your naturally aspirated 30% extra power is what is on the cards!!!

I too think 30% would be a very reasonable and fun change in power and acceleration, does anyone make taller final drive gears for more top speed, I have not seen them in the Malossi catalog? Where are you moving from to come here to the USA? I need to get my damn head...stupid finances, things like having a water tight roof keep,getting in the way!

The stock Maossi V4 cylinder head and ports, as delivered from Malossi:

Onto the surface plate to make sure the bottom deck is dead flat for a proper seal:

The stock valve seats before blending and re-seating the valves!

The Malossi as-delivered intake port with focus on rough transition between the casting and seats.

Closer view, at least these transitions can be fixed with no epoxy or weld required!

The as deliver Malossi V4 exhaust port. There are some changes to make here....

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic79446

Looks like more than one person is thinking boost is the way to go! One guy is at a claimed 42 bhp!

Here is a set from the finished ports and combustion chamber...sharp edges must go!

Notice how the valve seating areas are now all the same width and show all the signs of making a damn good seal for years to come as long as I stay on top of valve adjustments!

Here is a nice view of the reworked transition areas!

Now with valves back in their seats and sprung....much better!

A pic of the valve being prepped....

All four valves ground and cleaned, ready to install

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Well I broke down and bought myself a V4 cylinder head from Rich over at HGT, probably the best $650 I could have spent on that bike...man is it going to be fast(er) once it is fully done!

In the flesh compared to the micro sized stock valves! Notice the carbon burn ring to compare bore size to actual valve area. With the stock dished piston on the 278cc Piaggio models there is no danger of piston to valves collision UNLESS you set cam timing wrong!

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Micah, remember you gave me a db killer from Leo Vince that fit in my Akro slip-on. Butt dyno says no power drop and it is a lot quieter. Decided open was a bit loud.

Told you the bitubo stuff was the shit.
    Bikes:
    2007.5 Tuono-Black, with 1102cc's of micah's badness!
    2012 Griso-Silver and black, Agostini pipe, some carbon bits.
    2006 Vespa GT200-bitubo suspension all around, Malossi big-bore, head and cam, Akrapovic pipe, all put together by Micah.

gone 2002 Caponord-Oyster gray (as faithful as a hound dog)
    gone Futura-Red (on the AF1 showroom floor. Get some.)

The more I learn about people, the more I appreciate rocks.

So here is the Vespa on the dyno getting a post Akro baseline run...Piaggio like to run motors on the lean side but if they run good lean then all the better for us I suppose. Once boosted the motor will not be allowed to go this lean!

The Akro pipe is made from this wall stainless for the header so at 900F or so it glows cherry red!

So Garrett has a new micro turbo on the market designed for 50-300cc motors called a GT06...anyone want to sponsor a turbo my way, this new Garrett makes my little IHI look huge!

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Oh my new cylinder head is in transit...heading my way...if only I had time to do it right before the trackday! Vespa at TWS, now that sounds oddly enough like a lot of fun!

Vale fully ground and ready!

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Head in my hands...literally. Thanks Rich at HGT! Now to disassemble and start the porting process, spare manifolds out already, tools lined up....

I am gonna play guinea pig on my own scooter but after this build I expect to be doing more of these for you guys! Scooters should wheelie!

So the head got a nice general port job to straighten out the curves as best I could, a light bottom decking to make sure it is flat, all valves seated to my satisfaction and most important I painted the valve cover in an obnoxious orange to make sure people think its bad ass on initial inspection....lol.

I did not photograph every little detail this time because it literally looks identical to jrflanne's cylinder head so I can save some pic editing ti,e because this weekend is going to be photo intensive for me anyway!

After I get to what I feel is the best power for the stock piston with the Malossi head the turbocharging project can get serious!

A couple of post porting port pics! The hot side:

The cold side:

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

apriliaforum Member
    How much do you imagine the head costing when you sell it to me? Love what you are doing. You should come up with different packages

Just buy your head from Rich at HGT and have him send it down...about $300 in porting time was spent on mine which is a little quicker than the ones I have done for other folks...know which cutters and bits to reach for now.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast