Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New, old Scarabeo 150 purchase

apriliaforum expert
    So the O ring is Not in a Groove or Land its just being squished between metal /plastic sanwhich? prolly permatex av seal woulda been ideal here ..

There is a land machined into the cylinder head. The o ring has a good place to squish between the cover and the head, but it also is retained by the outside of the land in the head.

apriliaforum expert
    fek now i gotta go out n look ive two engines out 05--02 on floor in shop anyhoww two of mine had the paper i left it last tyme i fooled w the engine not ever leaked a drop in 8 yrs or so..

Tom, you got lucky. The first indication of low coolant and unbled cooling system was typically the dipstick blowing out and crankcase blowing oil. The engine would get hot enough to melt the dipstick and the rider wouldn't see the overheat on the dash because the temp sender was in a cooler spot.

Fortunately, i only had one motor overheat enough to warp the head. Belonged to a clueless girl in South Miami Beach.

apriliaforum Member
    That's good news about the O-ring. I was able to get a genuine Aprilia O-ring off eBay for a buck. The scooter shop should have it in hand today. I wasn't able to find the washer shaped gasket anywhere.

Now you know the rest of the story if you were curious about why you got two dipsticks with your oil filter order...

apriliaforum Member
    The Scarabeo has been at the local shop for several days now being worked on when other, more pressing repairs are finished. The carb slide turned out to be metal, so no problem there. The thermostat gasket was the metal plate with cork overlay type and looks to be in great shape. I did purchase the latest gasket (AP0650300), but my mechanic doesn't like the fit of the new gasket and suggests that we reuse the original plus a little "Form a Gasket". There was a tear in the air intake bellows so that will be replaced. The fuel tank was completely empty, but the crank case was full of fuel so I'm thinking that all the fuel drained thru the fuel pump into the engine during the time the scooter sat. My mechanic will pull the engine so that he can completely drain the crank case and clean up the corrosion on the engine. Since the scooter has been outside very near the ocean for 8 years he's going to clean up and repaint the frame while the engine is out.

I'm open to suggestions regarding the thermostat housing gasket and replacement of the fuel pump with a new one (AP8102408).

This is becoming a much bigger project than I had originally imagined, but hopefully the scooter will be worth the trouble in the end.

apriliaforum expert
    Sonoma Calif a 150 with a Lic tag on back unrestricted Dont see any age in the Posts You gonna have the restraint to keep this thing in the 58 Mph range all its life ?? much over that and this work will become kinda regular consider a electronic pulse fuel pump I guess the Vac petcock kinda missed the boat or had been removed The Vac pumps are known for stravation issues at times My 150 is a commuter avging bout 500 miles a week spo shop time isnt avail..

apriliaforum Member
    Can someone please confirm the proper valve clearance adjustments for a Scarabeo 150? I have an Engine Workshop Manual downloaded copy which lists .05 - .09mm and .10 - .14mm for the intake and exhaust, however, alongside, in pencil, it lists .076 and .127 with no units listed. However, .07mm does not convert to .076 inches and .12mm does not convert to .127 inches!

tomd, I see a response from you on the web showing .076 and .137 with no units. Is this correct, and is it inches or mm??

I'm guessing that .076mm and .127mm might be the correct (new) values.

Thanks, John
    Last edited by jlindh; 02-19-2012 at 07:23 PM.

apriliaforum expert
    Hold on Ive it stored somewhere its hair thin I can tell ya that I had to go buy two Feeler gauges I did not have

apriliaforum Member
    No rush, he's a long way from putting it back together. The bug is worked on when there's nothing else to do in the shop.

apriliaforum Member
    The Scarabeo is finally running. Although the engine sounds fine, there is very little power output from the engine. There is a slight noise coming from the clutch. My 125cc Chinese clone will run circles around the Scarabeo, performance wise. Top indicated speed is 50mph.

Because the scooter sat unused for about 4 years and the engine was removed in order to repaint the frame, the scooter shop went completely thru the engine. The following items were replaced: battery, water pump, coolant, carburetor slide, iridium spark plug, fuel pump, fuel petcock, #28 low speed replacement jet for the carburetor (mechanic thinks that this is the problem, I disagree. The plug is not black). The carburetor, fuel tank and filter were cleaned as was the air filter.. I have run the scooter with the bottom front engine cover removed with no difference.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

John

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by jlindh View Post
    The Scarabeo is finally running. Although the engine sounds fine, there is very little power output from the engine. There is a slight noise coming from the clutch. My 125cc Chinese clone will run circles around the Scarabeo, performance wise. Top indicated speed is 50mph.

Because the scooter sat unused for about 4 years and the engine was removed in order to repaint the frame, the scooter shop went completely thru the engine. The following items were replaced: battery, water pump, coolant, carburetor slide, iridium spark plug, fuel pump, fuel petcock, #28 low speed replacement jet for the carburetor (mechanic thinks that this is the problem, I disagree. The plug is not black). The carburetor, fuel tank and filter were cleaned as was the air filter.. I have run the scooter with the bottom front engine cover removed with no difference.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

John
    Valve timing missed a tooth, valve gap not set right, slide diaphragm not set in groove, carb jetting too lean, weak spark, float level too low, roller sideways in variator, wrong belt, etc. If they replaced the piston rings then those will have to break in before you get top speed from it.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockynv View Post
    Valve timing missed a tooth, valve gap not set right, slide diaphragm not set in groove, carb jetting too lean, weak spark, float level too low, roller sideways in variator, wrong belt, etc. If they replaced the piston rings then those will have to break in before you get top speed from it.
    The rings are original as the head did not come off. The bike only has 368 miles so the original belt is still installed. I'll ask if the variator was even opened.

I guess the valve timing could have been altered when the water pump was replaced. Quite a bit of work was done on the carb, so that's a possibility.

We'll check these items and I'll report back.

Any other ideas?

apriliaforum expert
    Only 368 miles then the bike has not made it past the 600 mile break-in period. Engine won't loosen up and should not be taken much above 35 mph until after the first 600 miles.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast