Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New, old Scarabeo 150 purchase

apriliaforum expert
    in a pinch lay it over on a tyre or inflatable ball/s

I think what you're looking at is a versahaul. You can see them at versahaul.com. I sold several of them when I was in business and used one personally for any single bike transport I needed to do. I think max load is 500# for the versahual, but the carrying capacity depends on the vehicle. A heavy bike will lighten the front of the tow vehicle. A Scab150 will be fine behind an Explorer. You won't need to remove anything from the scoot, but they work best with a cycle-cynch, or canyon dancer if nothing else. There should be a rear attachment as well. Strap the rear wheel to the rail at a minimum.

apriliaforum Member
    The Versahaul looks very much like the apparatus I'll be using. I'll only be going about 40 miles on good road, so it should work nicely. Thanks!

apriliaforum expert
    yes do not strap it to tight it needs to move with the vehicle to a point to tite and you will break something

apriliaforum expert
    You should be fine. Once you get the bike tied down on the carier drive forward a few feet tap the brakes, back up a few feet tap the brakes again, check it adjusting the straps if they shifted loose and then go. Check the straps again after you get a few blocks down the road and you should be good to go. Don't be afraid to put a few extra tie downs to play it safe and bring some towels in case you need to protect the bodywork from chafing on the straps or to keep the rims from getting nicked by the wheel clamps.

I transport my 250cc Sport City hundreds of miles this way behind a motorhome and have had no problems. I do use a rubber exhaust plug when transporting to prevent water from filling up the exhaust in case it rains (also use it when cleaning and hosing down the bike).

While you have the bike in the shop, have them pull the coolant thermostat housing off and check the gasket. This is on the top of the cylinder head and will be a black plastic piece. The gasket will be a metal washer with a rubber gasket, or it may be a single rubber oring. If it has a paper gasket, it needs to be replaced with an oring. You can get the parts from af1 or you can go to any auto parts store and pick the right size oring from their box. The ring should sit touching the outside lip of the recess on the cylinder head. I don't remember when the update was made, but several 150's overheated due to the paper gasket leaking and creating an air pocket at the top of the cylinder head.

Take this opportunity to replace the coolant. Make sure the coolant system is bled at the bleed screw on the top of the thermostat housing. There is no thermostat installed on the 150, thus the reason for installing a thick paper gasket and later the aluminum washer with a standard thermostat gasket.

apriliaforum Member
    Great information, thanks. That's the cover gasket and not the thermostat gasket, correct?
    Last edited by jlindh; 01-22-2012 at 05:05 PM.

The cover gasket and thermostat gasket are the same thing since there is no thermostat.

front chock and pocket over bar ends (forget name - something western I recall) strapping works well and no marking paint or other surfaces. I would be terrified using a receiver mounted ramp. I built one for a guy to haul a bike of some sort, but we put 2 pieces of receiver tube to the frame - was very stable. Good luck - if you are anything like me you will worry the whole way. Maybe a Valium?

>>
    Ispud
    2008 200 Scarabeo (fool me once) spooky
    2009 Kymco People 250 S Work horse
    2006 Honda Big Ruckus (sold 10-14)
    2004 500 Scarabeo Cadilac
    2006 S250 sold for top dollar
    2013 BV350 screwing with me bit time
    2009 SC250 Cube (whatever that means) sold...never liked it

apriliaforum Member
    The scooter arrived safely at the scooter shop this afternoon. My initial impression is that I got a very good deal for $500. The scooter turns out to be a 2003 with 368 miles. It will need new tires and a lot of clean up in addition to what has been discussed above. The scooter is black, not my favorite color, but the paint is pristine so I don't think that I will paint it.

I'm thinking Pirelli Diablo tires in the original sizes, any other suggestions?

apriliaforum expert
    The Diablo Tyres get changed to Scarabeo 500 tyres 110-80-16 up front and a 140-70-16 rear thats whats on my 150 and 06 S500.. Michelin City Grips this is a great bike just know its limitations keep it below 95% duty cycle and you'll be fine thats basically about 58 MPH or less Move much past this and Events get frequent and costly Just think o this a few years ago you would never have expected anything near this small to do anything like this A honda 450 night hawk is cxonsidered a small in town unit in that regard my beo 150 should neva leave the neighborhood mines been across country

If it's an '03, definitely pull the thermostat housing and fix the gasket issue...

apriliaforum Member
    There seems to be 2 different gaskets available. One of them #AP0650300, looks like a regular O-ring, but the other #AP0650720, looks like a rubber washer. Which will I need?

Thanks, John

apriliaforum expert
    rubber washer typer no o ring . no o ring on my 05 engine

I think the 0650300 is the updated gasket. I don't find the reference to your other number. When they first acknowledged the fault with the paper gasket, it was replaced with a rubber thermostat gasket with an aluminum washer insert where a thermostat would normally go. It didn't work very well so we replaced them with a large oring, not from Aprilia.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast