Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shorty clutch lever, slipping clutch

I'm using 10W60 in engine and transmission as per the reccomendations I got here. Did using the wrong oil cause your plates problem HayeSM?

Quote Originally Posted by swerver View Post
    I'm using 10W60 in engine and transmission as per the reccomendations I got here. Did using the wrong oil cause your plates problem HayeSM?
    swerver.
    the millers i recommended to you is fine for this type of bike so im quietly confident that its not that..what milage have you got on the clock..also could have had wrong oil in b4 you bought it which initally caused the damage!!!

Hey usherp, yeah I'm sure the Millers is fine - I've always used the same one you recommended since I bought it. The bike has 5000 miles on the clock now, I bought it when it was around 1300 miles and never had this problem until recently.

My clutch biting point is not reached until I release the lever at least half way, so that kind of suggests the cable is OK right?

Has the biting point moved outward then..
    I'm not sure how long clutch plates last on average but I can imagine the engine give them shit all the time due to power to weight output/torque ect
    The fact that you say it was like this before you changed levers suggest its either the cable or plates..I would suggest plates but check clutch cable for stretching as its the easier and cheaper option to start with..
    Looks like you covered some miles since you bought it...

Quote Originally Posted by usherp_250 View Post
    Looks like you covered some miles since you bought it...
    Yeah it's scary eh? Cal only rebuilt it about a thousand miles ago though.

Talking to some others about this, and being a noob I was trying to get my head round this, but it seems that if the cable is too tight (not loose) I can get this problem because the clutch isn't fully disengaging when releasing the lever, so it could be simply that my cable is too tight. My inexperienced logic thought this would be the other way around, but it makes sense to me now I think about it. I'll try adjusting the tension again to make it looser and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by swerver View Post
    if the cable is too tight (not loose) I can get this problem because the clutch isn't fully disengaging when releasing the lever, .
    correct..
    whilst cable is out lube it up and check the routing also so that its not running too tight round bends as this will restrict it and add to the problem
    nice smooth curves (yum yum lol)
    good luck

Ok if all else fails remove the clutch pack, view the friction plates and measure the total thickness, you may have just worn the clutch out and need new friction plates. I got about 100 hours out of the standard clutch plates.
    '09 MXV450

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Racing View Post
    The motor and maps are race orientated, and want gunning !!

How much roughly is that in miles as swerver has put 3500 miles on his within 6 months(roughly 5000 km)
    It's looking ever increasingly that it is his plates but worth checking cable stretching/routing first

if you have been riding with no free play in clutch lever it would only take a short time to fry your clutch plates, and even if you then give correct play it may still slip,

Thanks for the input all. Played about a bit more with the cable last night - adjusted it as far out as it would go to make it looser but then it was slipping even more (?) tightened it back a bit and it slips less, but it still slips. Haven't had the time or daylight to properly check the cable routing but will do soon.

apriliaforum expert catalina2.o's Avatar
    i also loosened mine for more play and it was too much i could hardly get it into gear.. tightened it up a bit but the clutch grabs about 2-3mm away from the grips,
    2009 aprilia sxv 550
    2013 aprilia tuono v4r aprc (sold)
    2009 suzuki gladius 650 (project)
    1999 yamaha r1 (sold)
    1998 cbr f3 streetfighter (sold)

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I know this thread is really old but I’m having the same exact issue with my 550 after putting an RSC stunt lever on it. I put a new Hinson clutch basket, pressure plate assembly and clutch pack in it, still does it. Is it a cable problem? Does the lever just not pull enough?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12