Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How To Guide: RSV4R Oil Change

RSV4 Oil change

Guy's, got an imminent oil/filter change myself to do

Are you all using a flush prior to oil change on your bikes? I've done that the last few times on my previous bike (R1) but just wanted to gain some feedback from the people that have undertaken this themselves on the V4

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks for the info...great help!!!

Yellow Shirt
    Thanks for the code, great info.

apriliaforum Junkie
    No need to warm bike up to change oil. When you last parked it was hot and now had plenty of time for ALL The OIL (and debris that was in suspension) to be nicely settled in your sump. Firing the bike up only flings oil all around and puts the debris back into suspension where you will now wait for it to cool and drip back down where it was when it was cold. This is also the recomended method by top builder/mechanic owner of JHS racing in UK, so it is just not the voices in my head telling you this.....also, you won't burn your self on a hot header pipe or drain plug :P
    DT

apriliaforum Member
    thank you for the helpful right up. i just ordered the service manual but online orders are only processed on weekdays. I love the Italians. BTW this sounds so much easier than it was on the r1 2009 - here's a photo of what that turned out to be after i'ld tightened it to torque spec lol. OMG. So i'll try hand tightening first and then i'll see. Also, is the washer the same size for the RSV4, anyone know by any chance?
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...4692133&type=1
    also can anyone tell me what the specs on the oil filter are?
    thanks
    j

apriliaforum Member
    this seems way easier than doing it on the r1 2009 lol.

apriliaforum Member
    viscosity question here: the service manual states to use 5w40 instead of 15w50. I used 10w40 on the cooler inline r1. Is it recommended to use a thick oil (higher value) in a hotter v4?
    thanks,
    j

apriliaforum prov-nov KnoxRider's Avatar
    Lower right side only works

I followed the thread the 1st time, but this last time I just did the bottom fairing only (loosened the side of the upper)

My 2016 also had a hidden bolt covered by the upper fairing at the upper right corner of the bottom fairing, so you need to flex the top enough to get an allen wrench in there

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123