Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How To Guide: RSV4R Oil Change

apriliaforum Junkie
    yep, I covered the O ring with oil. Just wanted to see how tight it needs to be fit.
    2010 Aprilia RSV4-R
    2006 Triumph Daytona 675
    2009 Triumph Bonneville SE
    2009 Aprilia RS125 (sold)

Search all Craigslist cities from one place: http://bouncingknee.com/

Graphicologist Extraordinaire ckruzel's Avatar
    hand tight is fine
    2010 White RSV4R
    Custom Graphics
    decal questions? email me at kruzel (at)drippinwet.com
    check us out on facebook!
    Making Decals for some of the Fastest People on the Planet
    J.Hayes | M.Paris | J.Herrin | Z.Herrin | D.Westby | T.Knapp | S.Coviello | S.Villa | H.Nash | B.Solis | J.Day | C.West | A.Welsh | E.Meyers | D.Eslick | G.May | C.Alexander | D.Gaviria | J.Rispoli | J.Pascarella | B.Cretu | S.Mesa |C.Sellerom (check us out on facebook)

capacity oil

In the online service manual they state to fill up (with oil filter change) with 4 liter oil. Here they say 3,8 liter.
    I changed yesterday and fill up with 4 Li. Now I see the oil is coming in the side glass, with cold motor, to the upper mark. Is this to much ?
    Because "control oil" must be done with hot engine.
    bartho

apriliaforum expert
    London, (England) 213miles NNW Paris (France)
    Quote Originally Posted by bartho View Post
    In the online service manual they state to fill up (with oil filter change) with liter oil. Here they say 3,8 liter.
    I changed yesterday and fill up with 4 Li. Now I see the oil is coming in the side glass, with cold motor, to the upper mark. Is this to much ?
    Because "control oil" must be done with hot engine.
    I try to fill my bikes so the oil is midway between max and min on the sight glass. If you prefilled your oil filter and then added 4 L then you'll be over the max

apriliaforum expert
    I buy 4L of oil every time. I fill the filter with some of the first one and then pour the rest in the motor. When the bike is warmed up and then allowed to sit for a couple of minutes the oil settles right at the max line every time.

If it's noticeably above the full line with the bike on level ground with the bike upright, remove oil until it's correct. Sounds like you're probably ok though Bartho.
    CURRENT BIKE
    2013 Multistrada S Touring
    2004 Tuono Factory

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Great write up.

My little tip (from experience) is to be careful when you remove the drain plug. The oil shoots out with fair force, misses the pan you have carefully positioned under the bike, and goes all over the garage floor!! lol.

I can second that experience. Get a very wide mouth bucket, or put the drain pan about 1' further than where you think it's gonna hit.

I think I caught about 1/2 the oil.

New to the forum and did the oil change on my RSV4 Factory tonight. Wanted to thank all of those who gave great advice in this thread especially regarding positioning of the catch pan. I didn't spill a drop!
    ~Jason

Banned
    The link seems to be very helpful; we can get rid of most of our bike problems I guess.

I did the oil change with the information provided. It was a great help.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Sorry if this has already been mentioned - would the instructions be identical for a 2011 RSV4 R APRC?

Thats a mega post for changing the oil is that, proper! , may have to bin the workshop manual if you keep this lark up cocker. Awesome. And idiot proof
    Real Men Wear SideBurns......

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by newtomoto View Post
    Guys,

What is the recommended installation procedure for the oil filter? I hand tightened it and then rotated it half turn with some filter pliers. Is that OK?
    Technically, ASE says hand tighten and do an extra 1/8 turn. Personally, I'll hand tighten, give the tiniest turn with the wrench, start the bike, and check for leaks before I put the plastic on.

On my japanese bikes, I used to hand-tighten the oil filter and drain plug but on my RSV4, it appears that it wasn't enough. I changed the oil before a track week-end and coming back from it, both the drain plug and the filter had loosened by about an eight of a turn. Just enough to drip a little oil but not enough to cause any oil starvation issues.

I took apart the lower and side fairings and cleaned the inside of any oil that dripped out and then proceeded to change the oil again. I usually hand tighten things when changing the oil, the first bike I bought used had a cracked oil pan because the PO over torqued the drain plug but I'm not sure how to handle this one.

I've hand tightened things a little more this time around, plus I got time to order replacement crush washers to that probably helped. My torque wrench doesn't do small numbers like 30Nm (22ft-lbs according to the online converter)... any other ideas out there?

Great thread. I found the descriptions for fairing removal to be immensely useful. Thanks to the OP for taking the time and trouble.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast