Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: do i need race ecu or not?

hi guys been following this thread with interest when i bought my rsv4r in uk it came with a aprilia akrapovic slip on with the race link pipe after reading this thread i went to the dealer to ask for the race map to be loaded as it had not been done he knew nothing about it being supplied with an unlock code etc and said it did not need doing so at the moment i'am in the process of trying to get them to sort this out hopefully i can get them to remap and they are an official aprilia dealer !!

apriliaforum newb
    I am thinking about getting the Akrapovic slip-on with ECU code (http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...idproduct=7907). I mainly want it for the sound but I hate backfiring. Has anyone using this had any backfiring?

apriliaforum prov-nov Creed7777's Avatar
    Hi guys,

Just had Leo Vince slip-on installed; removed the silencer, love the sound, deep sounding bark!!! Unfortunately my dealer's Navigator is acting up; can't install any maps so I am stuck running it with stock ECU for now. Dealer said i should be fine since it is only a slip-on. However, i have noticed that the throttle response is now somewhat tame, more linear, I don't like it; seems flat. Is there any risk to the motor or any other component of the bike if I continue to ride (temporarily) without the Race map?

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wattsy View Post
    hi guys been following this thread with interest when i bought my rsv4r in uk it came with a aprilia akrapovic slip on with the race link pipe after reading this thread i went to the dealer to ask for the race map to be loaded as it had not been done he knew nothing about it being supplied with an unlock code etc and said it did not need doing so at the moment i'am in the process of trying to get them to sort this out hopefully i can get them to remap and they are an official aprilia dealer !!
    As I understand it, the map isn't necessary for a slip-on in the UK. In the states, their bikes run lean with a slip-on because of the different fuel, so the map / race ECU is required.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisw View Post
    As I understand it, the map isn't necessary for a slip-on in the UK. In the states, their bikes run lean with a slip-on because of the different fuel, so the map / race ECU is required.
    I am on a US RSV4... running a Leo Vince Slip-On with stock ECU... for over
    6K miles... No Issues... No problems.

Except for that V4 Roar!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by super8neon View Post
    I am on a US RSV4... running a Leo Vince Slip-On with stock ECU... for over
    6K miles... No Issues... No problems.

Except for that V4 Roar!!!!
    Are you running 2010 or 2011 APRC map? Also has your throttle response been impacted at all? mine seems more linear, which some may like but I prefer the abrupt rush of power.

Yes the roar with the LV is AWESOME!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Creed7777 View Post
    Are you running 2010 or 2011 APRC map? Also has your throttle response been impacted at all? mine seems more linear, which some may like but I prefer the abrupt rush of power.

Yes the roar with the LV is AWESOME!!!
    I have the LV Slip-On with 2011 APRC Map(normal one, not the RACE one) and I have no problem either. Power is indeed a bit smoother down low, but it doesn't detract from the character of the bike at all IMO. Actually it just makes it easier to start power slides coming out for corners. Having that said, it did help the mileage of the bike, but only by about 20km. I used to do 105-110km before the fuel light came on, now it comes on at 125-130km.

Good to know...thanks M!G

Quote Originally Posted by rsv464 View Post
    Pete, I got mine done at bikebiz $80 remapped all good with latest RACE map.
    RACE appears on dash. I'm running the AR gp can, best $80 Iv'e ever spent on a motorbike.

When you say you got yours unlocked for $80 did you have a akro pipe first OR did it have the AR ???
    I rang my dealer to investigate and yep he said about $100 but when I told him I had the AR slip on and no Akro he said no he couldnt unlock it telling me I have to purchase the Race ECU from Aprilla which he will do for a tad under $1000.

Hey Dayv yeah that is right. The akro unlock is specific to that akro pipe. Here in aus not sure if it same elswhere, the akro pipe runs real lean. Aprilia have created the race unlock code to be specific to only Akra pipes.

So if you would like to put on an AR pipe you have to purchase the Race ECU. The difference between the two is that the mapping is more suited to aftermarket pipes, as appose to the unlock race akro mapping which is only suited to the akro.

You can buy the Race ECU from AF1 and it is heaps cheaper than $1000.00 more like AU$700!

Hope that makes sense.
    2010 RSV4R track bike
    -----------------------
    K+N Race Filter | Racers Edge Fairings | Apex riser adjustable clipons | AR GP2 Slip-On | Bazzaz Z-Fi TC QS | ASV Shorty Levers| Puig Wind Screen | TechSpec Tank Grips | Gilles Tooling Gear Shifter Support | GB Racing Clutch and engine Covers | Woodcraft rearsets | Starlane DaVinci S Dash | STM Flyhammer Switchgear |

Quote Originally Posted by PatentsByBarry View Post
    I am thinking about getting the Akrapovic slip-on with ECU code (http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...idproduct=7907). I mainly want it for the sound but I hate backfiring. Has anyone using this had any backfiring?
    No backfiring here!
    2010 RSV4R track bike
    -----------------------
    K+N Race Filter | Racers Edge Fairings | Apex riser adjustable clipons | AR GP2 Slip-On | Bazzaz Z-Fi TC QS | ASV Shorty Levers| Puig Wind Screen | TechSpec Tank Grips | Gilles Tooling Gear Shifter Support | GB Racing Clutch and engine Covers | Woodcraft rearsets | Starlane DaVinci S Dash | STM Flyhammer Switchgear |

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Gala View Post
    The akro unlock is specific to that akro pipe. Here in aus not sure if it same elswhere, the akro pipe runs real lean. Aprilia have created the race unlock code to be specific to only Akra pipes.

So if you would like to put on an AR pipe you have to purchase the Race ECU. The difference between the two is that the mapping is more suited to aftermarket pipes, as appose to the unlock race akro mapping which is only suited to the akro.
    I never got that impression from all the things I've read about Aprilia's race map. I thought the code that comes with the Akropovic simply allows the dealer to unlock the stock ECU and install the race map, but if you buy any other exhaust you either have to buy a Race ECU or get AF1 to install the race map to the stock ECU their way, so either way it's the same race map, no matter which method is used. The only difference now is there's a 2010 non-aPRC race map and 2011 aPRC race map.

Again not sure if it is the same in other countries but here in oz I spoke to the importers manager and he advised me that the maps are different. The unlock code is a specific code to unlock the ecu that is correct but the race map is different than the race ecu map. He told me that the race ecu has been designed for all other pipes whilst the Aprilia map is different as the Akro pipe runs super lean.

This is what he has advised me. That being said I have not seen both maps and hence ane only going on the advise that Aprilia has given me. I'd love to see both of the maps though to confirm.
    2010 RSV4R track bike
    -----------------------

apriliaforum Junkie
    If you buy the Akrapovic from anywhere except Aprilia, you will not get the unlock code and the only options then are the Race ECU or AF1 stock update. Aprilia just say you need the race map or Race ECU, regardless of the type of aftermarket exhaust because they all supposedly run lean.

All the information I've read says the Race ECU has got the same map as getting the race map installed on a stock ECU. The only way to be sure there are different ones would be to get hold of the Australian Akrapovic race map version number, standard race map version number (if there are indeed two different race maps) and compare it with US and Euro race map version numbers.

I'm not trying to be awkward, I'm just trying to make sure we've all got the correct information, as the whole mapping thing can be frustrating, particularly when some approved Aprilia dealers don't know what they're talking about on this subject.

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkyPancake View Post
    I'm not trying to be awkward, I'm just trying to make sure we've all got the correct information, as the whole mapping thing can be frustrating, particularly when some approved Aprilia dealers don't know what they're talking about on this subject.
    This is exactly the same situation we experienced back in 2004, when the new RSV2 arrived. Or if you want to go back even further to 2001, with the RST Futura and ETV Caponord models.

Those bikes were the first Aprilias (that I know of) to have an upgradable ECU, like we have with the V4.

Here we are 10 years later and the dealers still can't get it straight.

Aprilia still distributes bulletins to dealers, advising them to update customer's bikes to the new map/software, just like in 2001.
    The bulletins describe how to perform the update, they list what improvements these updates offer, and specific details about what bikes are involved. In many cases, they list a certain VIN range of bikes affected.

Aprilia documents the info and distributes to the dealers, so why is still so difficult to get a straight answer from many dealers?

They've even made it easier by introducing the PC based Navigator system.
    The old AXONE required a dealer to manually download and install the updated software to the AXONE first before updating a bike. The Navigator updates itself each time you power it up connected to the internet.

My only guess is that many dealers don't care enough to log on to serviceaprilia.com and read the bulletins on a regular basis.
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast