Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: do i need race ecu or not?

Quote Originally Posted by sonic rr View Post
    But if you swap it you have to trailer it back to the dealer to re"learn" the ride by wire system. Who really ever goes back to stock?

Sonic
    Not so, Once it's learned, it's learned, as long as it goes back on the same bike.
    2011 KTM 990 Adventure ( Highly Modified)
    2010 RSV4 Factory ( Highly Modified)
    2010 Ducati 1198S (Highly Modified)
    2000 FLHRCI (Sleeper)

Has anyone thought of ripping all this stuff off the bike and fitting a set of Keihin 39mm flatslides???

Max Lean Angle / Administrator Ed / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcfirdy View Post
    Has anyone thought of ripping all this stuff off the bike and fitting a set of Keihin 39mm flatslides???
    I have, and I want to....simple, raw, basic, and awesome sounding with the slides rattling. Just need a basic ECU to give us spark.

Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    Not so, Once it's learned, it's learned, as long as it goes back on the same bike.
    Ahhh, gotcha. Thanks for clarification. I'm not sure I understand why that works but what ever. lol.

Sonic

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic rr View Post
    I'm not sure I understand why that works but what ever.
    The throttle learning data is stored in the ECU, so if you have a stock and race ECU that have both been through this process on the same bike, you can swap them as much as you want, but when the race ECU is fitted to another bike it will need to go through the throttle learning procedure again.

Why the rheostats don't self learn is still beyond me but I digress

Sonic

apriliaforum newb
    I have to be honest with everyone on here. I am sick and tired of the billions of excuses from Aprilia. I have never worked with a bike company that has been so difficult to deal with. I live 2 hours away from both Aprilia dealers in SC, and I work for a bike store in Columbia. I bought a full Akra system through my work, and was told by one of the stores that they could unlock my ECU for me and that this would be the easiest option for me. So I took the trip, and what do you know...Aprilia told their dealer that they would not provide the unlock code to the dealer for me nor would they allow them to work with my bike so that they could set it up properly. Aprilia then told me when I called that they do not provide the code that it comes from Akra and I might have to pay for it. I offered to pay Aprilia for this code...they declined to both the dealer and myself. So both the dealer and I were very upset. I then proceeded to call Akra and their rep said that that was not true. They said that they design their exhausts to be run on stock mapping, but that though it is not necessary to remap the exhaust some performance gains can be had via remapping. I must say that logically if any dealer is able to reflash an ECU just because an exhaust is ordered through Aprilia and only comes with a code, I was told by the other dealer in SC that that is the only thing that comes with the exhaust, that it should be able to be done locally at an approved dealer for a fee. There seems to be lots of conflicting information across the web and through the dealerships regarding this issue. No matter what the arguments made by Aprilia and a select few seem not be logically sound.
    I work for a bike shop like I stated...so I call this crappy customer support.
    I also want to add that it seems there is another option to be had out there that an old Aprilia race team is working on developing. I will post more on that information provided they allow me to. I will say that they were using a Bazzaz, and the system they have works. It has already been done and proven. Check out the WERA forums to find more information on the bike.
    I believe others can understand why I am so upset along with the holes in all of the arguments regarding this issue.

you bought a non-Aprilia Akra system and your bummed it didnt come with an unlock code? Maybe the non-Aprilia Akra wasnt such a good deal after all.

here are your only three options to get the proper mapping....this has been covered many times. Its true most shops dont know whats going on with this new bike and they can provide misleading info.

1. Buy a Aprilia-Akra system, and the unlock code is provided
    2. Buy the Aprilia RACE ecu with the map pre-loaded.
    3. Send us your ECU and we can put the RACE mapping in stock ECU our own way (our way does not come from Aprilia)....we are the only shop that can do this 3rd option that I know of. Amauri in CA can do them through us too.

apriliaforum newb
    Ed, the dealership that does not know how to do any of this is one that is listed as having an account with you guys. The dealership is BMW touring sport in Greenville, SC. I even tried talking to Jeff there about bringing the bike in so they can do everything including sending it off to you guys. I hate that they are getting screwed out of making more money as well possibly since they have tried to help me out so much already.

Of Course I am bummed. You would be too if you worked for a dealership and can buy things for dealer price and bought into a company's bike that would not help you out in anyway. Why would I pay tons more than what I can get it for. Actually why would anyone when authroized Akra dealers can sell the full race system for 1500.00 retail? I think it is pretty messed up that someone buys into Aprilia's great bike, but Aprilia tries to screw them over in this department when they are willing to take it to a dealership to get some help. I must add that a full race system is a full race system from Akra no matter where you buy it. You are paying at least a 300.00 dollar difference on your site alone just to go with the Aprilia system. Again....there are holes in the debate here. If anyone is interested in the race teams results PM me and I will be glad to get them for you.

I feel that Aprilia needs to add to their tag line...a great bike for those with a deep wallet and those who can take long trips to authorized dealers. For someone like me who set aside army deployment money for such a great bike there should be options. I must add that Ducati has a similar system, but you actually save a lot of money by going with their deal with Termi. Sport bike companies should be motivated to help the people who buy their bikes, and make them as easy to work with as possible for those who want to prove the Aprilia name on the track as well.

I will try to call you tomorrow to discuss my options some more.

Aprilia-Akras come with the Aprilia derived mapping option. Yes, it costs more than Akra-direct, but that difference is the price of the unlock code for the mapping.

Ducati charges a pretty penny for their pipes/DP ECUs.....somebody just told me the Diavel pipes/ECU are $3500, the Desmo pipes/ECU is something like $7500. You can buy non-DP pipes for fractions of that, but then you still need a tuning option. For now, all V4 owners have is the RACE mapping with 3 ways to get it, and the two add-on box options (Bazzaz and PCV).

The Bazzaz add-on box that many of us use including us only allows basic fuel changes based on RPM and TP%. It does not change all the stuff race mapping can like ign timing, RBW settings, fuel, exh valve, and still has three riding modes etc. It's a good fine tuning device. We always put RACE mapping on the bike before adding the Bazzaz.

While the unlock code does seem somehow irritating...

Name one bike manufacturer that will remap your bike for free after you put on a full system.

Any takers?
    2012 KTM 300EXC Six Days
    2011 KTM 690 Duke R
    2011 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC
    2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S
    2007 Honda CBR600RR

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed / AF1 Racing View Post
    3. Send us your ECU and we can put the RACE mapping in stock ECU our own way (our way does not come from Aprilia)....we are the only shop that can do this 3rd option that I know of. Amauri in CA can do them through us too.
    wait Although i am unsure of the arrangements are you saying Amauri can do this without having to ship the ECU to (Texas) AF1 aswell? So no shipping downtime?

Quote Originally Posted by igotyofire View Post
    wait Although i am unsure of the arrangements are you saying Amauri can do this without having to ship the ECU to (Texas) AF1 aswell? So no shipping downtime?
    yes, he can. We work with him on getting them done.

Quote Originally Posted by Derspiegel View Post
    I know that no manufacturer's provide a free remap, but I am saying I find it hard to believe that Aprilia can send a code with an exhaust that unlocks any dealer's navigator...but they can not allow an authorized dealer to contact them, charge a fee, and provide a code to do the same thing on the spot.
    They sell the RACE ecu pre-loaded with race mapping for this very purpose. It's for all the people that didnt buy the aprilia exhaust system. Have your dealer get/stock one, and they can do it on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed / AF1 Racing View Post
    I have, and I want to....simple, raw, basic, and awesome sounding with the slides rattling. Just need a basic ECU to give us spark.
    Kawasaki persisted with it in WSB and lost nothing in engine power to the F.I. bikes.It would be interesting to see the results,but I would think there is insufficient room between the V for sufficient airflow.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast