Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: do i need race ecu or not?

apriliaforum expert
    With an open exhaust the stock ecu fueling is to lean. The race ecu is optimized and designed around the addition Akra exhaust. Just about every exhaust for the rsv4 is just like the Akra which is why the race ecu works better with any aftermarket exhaust.

apriliaforum Junkie
    I love this post.... and laugh at it a little....

How does dropping the muffler affect the Engine Fueling?

Has anyone stopped to think that these RSV4's run super Lean from the Factory????

Adding the Slip-On just makes it more noticeable because someone puts their bike on the dyno with an A/F Sensor with the Slip-On to see how much power they have.... and hey, this bike runs Lean now!!!

Maybe... just maybe.... it was that Lean before even with the Factory Muffler.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by jgos929 View Post
    With an open exhaust the stock ecu fueling is to lean. The race ecu is optimized and designed around the addition Akra exhaust. Just about every exhaust for the rsv4 is just like the Akra which is why the race ecu works better with any aftermarket exhaust.
    Thanks.

I'm thinking of getting a race ECU as part of my bike order, so I have it ready for when I change the exhaust, because the dealer is giving me 15% off any accessories I get with the bike.

I have been reading this and I still have some questions.

Rsv4 APRC with a full Leo Vince exhaust system and race air filter is it enough to use just this Race ECU? After installing that ECU will all the APRC systems (ATC, AWC..) work?

Also should it be dyno'd in order to get the perfect AF ratios and it cant be used as an Autotune module on PCV, it doesn't make any corrections by itself?

apriliaforum Junkie

Question

Being as Aprilia say this about the racing ECU:

A new dedicated racing ECU for RSV4 Factory and R, allready mapped with racing injection/ignition mapping, to be used in combination with aftermarket exhaust systems (both full system and slip-on) NOT supplied by Aprilia
    http://uk.aprilia.com/en-GB/Model/61...cessories.aspx

I think I will get the dealer to price one up for me, so I have it ready for when I change the slip-on.

What do I need to do when I do change the slip-on:

Do I fit the racing ECU myself, then take it to the dealer with the aftermarket slip-on fitted, they hook it up to Navigator and go through the throttle and handle learning procedures (no remapping because the racing ECU comes with a different map)? Or am I way off?

If it is possible to fit the ECU yourself, is it a similar job to something like a Power Commander, so a bit of work but not a massive task, or is it more complicated? Are there any how-tos or does it come with fitting instructions?

I'm sorry if I'm going over an old topic, but this is my first Aprilia I didn't expect it to be a little bit more awkward to ensure the bike is running nice and not too rich or lean with an aftermarket exhaust. I'm also coming up with a lack of information about the racing ECU and fitting it when I search the net.

Max Lean Angle / Administrator Ed / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkyPancake View Post
    Being as Aprilia say this about the racing ECU:

http://uk.aprilia.com/en-GB/Model/61...cessories.aspx

I think I will get the dealer to price one up for me, so I have it ready for when I change the slip-on.

What do I need to do when I do change the slip-on:

Do I fit the racing ECU myself, then take it to the dealer with the aftermarket slip-on fitted, they hook it up to Navigator and go through the throttle and handle learning procedures (no remapping because the racing ECU comes with a different map)? Or am I way off?

If it is possible to fit the ECU yourself, is it a similar job to something like a Power Commander, so a bit of work but not a massive task, or is it more complicated? Are there any how-tos or does it come with fitting instructions?

I'm sorry if I'm going over an old topic, but this is my first Aprilia I didn't expect it to be a little bit more awkward to ensure the bike is running nice and not too rich or lean with an aftermarket exhaust. I'm also coming up with a lack of information about the racing ECU and fitting it when I search the net.
    have your dealer install it and do it all....once the new ECU is installed, they will need to do the self-learning steps before you can start it and ride it. Guess you could put the ECU in yourself and then trailer the bike to them for the self-learning steps.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed / AF1 Racing View Post
    have your dealer install it and do it all....once the new ECU is installed, they will need to do the self-learning steps before you can start it and ride it. Guess you could put the ECU in yourself and then trailer the bike to them for the self-learning steps.
    Thanks for the reply. There doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there about ECU mapping or fitting the racing ECU. I'm just piecing together what I'm learning from here and around the net. I also didn't realise the Aprilia would be different to set up in terms of making sure it's running sweet with whatever slip-on is fitted.

Aprilia is new to my dealer and I don't think the sales or techs have been through any sort of proper Aprilia induction yet, so I doubt they even have Navigator either. In fact, I feel like I know more and am a bit of a test subject, but they've looked after me ever since I bought my first bike, so I don't doubt them.

apriliaforum expert
    how does the stock bike with the stock can behave with the race ecu or race maps? will the bike over compensate for the lack of flow?

apriliaforum expert MishMashRSV4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by igotyofire View Post
    how does the stock bike with the stock can behave with the race ecu or race maps? will the bike over compensate for the lack of flow?
    I would have to believe it is just less-than-optimal tuning. I do not believe running the engine with a race-mapped ecu and stock can will permanently damage the engine in short term...only that performance will suffer. You are re-restricting exhaust flow. Over time, this simply creates a richer-than-needed environment in the engine. Outcome? Fouled plugs in time...carbon build up....and maybe if long enough....valves not closing completely due to carbon build up.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by igotyofire View Post
    Nobody has a back to back dyno graph to prove what a Bolt On Canister does to the fueling curves.

What needs to be done...

Take a 100% Factory R... put it on a dyno with an air to fuel probe and make three runs. Watching the status of the A/F Ratio in stock trim.

Swap to a Bolt On Canister... Keeping the Factory PCM... put it on the same dyno with and air to fuel probe and make three runs. Watching the status of the A/F Ratio with the stock PCM and Bolt On Canister.

Post the back to back runs.... Showing the A/F Charts.
    (Maybe I need to get to the Dyno)

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by amauri View Post
    This has been beaten to death and starting to look like someone is trolling.

For the last time, hopefully:

1- according to DynoJet USA, the PC5 does not work on the RSV4, don't believe commissions hungry sales people.
    2- the Bazzaz only adjusts fuel.
    3- the race mapped ECU optimizes fuel, ignition and ride-by-wire parms.

Installing the Bazzaz without first loading the race map is not only a waste of money, but as already posted here previously, leads to trouble.

Yes the Bazzaz does add speed shifter and TC capabilities.
    The more subject is repeated here, the easier it is to search and therefore to get an answer -Thank you ---Was just going to run Bazzaz Fi/TC/QS until I read this sticky... Now I'll get the ECU flashed from AF-1 (for the fueling) and use the Bazzaz for TC and QS

So if no TC & QS is desired - Race ECU or Flashed from AF-1 is the way to go
    08' Aprilia SXV 550 VDB Spec
    10' Aprilia RSV4-R (track bike)
    13' Vesrah Suzuki GSX-R750 (WERA race bike)
    13' Ducati Hyper 821

Quote Originally Posted by super8neon View Post
    Nobody has a back to back dyno graph to prove what a Bolt On Canister does to the fueling curves.

What needs to be done...

Take a 100% Factory R... put it on a dyno with an air to fuel probe and make three runs. Watching the status of the A/F Ratio in stock trim.

Swap to a Bolt On Canister... Keeping the Factory PCM... put it on the same dyno with and air to fuel probe and make three runs. Watching the status of the A/F Ratio with the stock PCM and Bolt On Canister.

Post the back to back runs.... Showing the A/F Charts.
    (Maybe I need to get to the Dyno)
    Can you check A/F on stock exhaust? Do you have to install a port? What has led you to believe that the RSV4 is lean from the factory? i thought that most stock tuning is rich, is it not? Thats safest in the eyes of the manufacturers isn't it? I would like to know who has evidence that the AR slipon I intend to order will require a "Race"map on my stock ECU. I rather not test boundries on my possibly fragile engine...
    I'm new and people seem to be ignore'n Super8 when he seems to have a valid point? Please feel free to link me If i have missed something.

Sonic

Quick question. I have the dealer installing the unlocked map due to my Akro pipe unlock code. When I asked will the "Race" digits be shown he said no.

Is this normal? How woudl I know if he has actually installed it?
    2010 RSV4R track bike
    -----------------------
    K+N Race Filter | Racers Edge Fairings | Apex riser adjustable clipons | AR GP2 Slip-On | Bazzaz Z-Fi TC QS | ASV Shorty Levers| Puig Wind Screen | TechSpec Tank Grips | Gilles Tooling Gear Shifter Support | GB Racing Clutch and engine Covers | Woodcraft rearsets | Starlane DaVinci S Dash | STM Flyhammer Switchgear |

apriliaforum Junkie
    From what I understand the race map on a stock ECU and race ECU should both display "RACE" on the dash.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/a...1&d=1304989746

See the last picture in this post, should the link above not work for you:

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...78&postcount=1

apriliaforum newb
    Pete,

from my understanding, is that programming the ECU to race mapping is a two step procedure, first you have to physically purchase an unlocked ECU or derestricted ECU which allows you to upload new mapping to it, or it could be done with stock ECU with derestriction code as advertise by the Akra pipes in AF1 website.

Second step which will be uploading a new race map into it, which will give you the "RACE" display on the dash. Which in AF1, after purchasing the race ECU, will be and additional USD50.00 Otherwise is just an open ECU with no new maps in it.

I could be wrong but that's what I thought they did cause AF1 did offer to derestrict my stock ECU and update it for few hundred quids. If your dealer didn't update it to race map, he might charge you for it or you should get for free since you bought the bike from them.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast