Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: do i need race ecu or not?

Max Lean Angle / Administrator Ed / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phunky Phish View Post
    So does the race ecu need dyno time to sort the bike properly?

Cheers
    it is not adjustable.....load it, then do the required throttle and handle self learning and go.

apriliaforum expert Phunky Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed / AF1 Racing View Post
    The Race ECU/ Race Mapping (same thing) has three maps R, S and T, all of which full power maps.
    @jgos - This is not what Ed is saying. He is saying the race ecu has 3 maps?!

Is this the case Ed? Just to clarify.
    My mum used to say 'Be good. And if you can't be good, don't get caught!'
    My sponsor advert!

@jgos - This is not what Ed is saying. He is saying the race ecu has 3 maps?!

Is this the case Ed? Just to clarify.
    he is saying no to dyno time, as its pre-set to work great.....he knows you still have three seperate maps...we did his ECU.....S, R, T are still there along with the word RACE on the dash.

Ah, ok. Clears loads up.
    Me thinks it's time to order the final bit for the bike
    My sponsor advert!

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    allow a good tuning shop to properly set the bike up on a dyno for A/F ratios but also ignition timing so it is properly sorted.
    OK, I'm calming down now
    Nothing against you, sorry if I offended.

As you've noticed, I get really stirred up when I hear of some shop trying to convince a V4 owner that they need to install parts that IMO the bike is better off without.

The thing is, there is no tuning to be done on the bike other than loading the map and calibrating the throttle parameters (on the APRC bikes, you will also have to re-calibrate the quick shift and APRC parameters).

Unfortunately, most shops don't get that, and try to apply methods that only work on traditional or less sophisticated bikes.

Until we all have a better understanding of how the ride-by-wire is managing the motor and someone builds a module that works together with the ride-by-wire electronics, Dyno time on the V4 is not going to accomplish anything other than unnecessary wear on your motor.
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

@ Amauri. No offence taken and thank you for all your input and passion on this bike.
    My sponsor advert!

apriliaforum Junkie
    Is the race ECU a dealer fit option only or is it a user install like a Power Commander for example? If dealer fit, do they retain the stock ECU or do they give it to you?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkyPancake View Post
    Is the race ECU a dealer fit option only or is it a user install like a Power Commander for example? If dealer fit, do they retain the stock ECU or do they give it to you?
    The race ECU is a replacement part (you keep the original ECU) with pre-defined mapping, and is located below the gastank. You will need a dealer (or someone who has the equipment and knowledge) to perform a throttle-learning procedure with the replacement ECU...it looks like this.

And you can buy them here with/without your chosen map (country dependent)...

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...idproduct=8105

I think there is also another option, which would be to use your existing stock ECU, and have AF1 unlock your existing stock ECU (program another map), if you ship your original stock ECU to them.

3 ways to get that RACE map/ecu...same thing really...the race ECU is just a stock ECU pre-loaded with the RACE mapping.

1. Buy the Aprilia / Akra exhaut and you get a free unlock code, your dealer will use this code to load the RACE mapping into your stock ECU. The unlock code allows loading of the race mapping. Perform handle/throttle learning

2. buy the race ECU as a seperate box $750....you can buy it yourself and put it in, but you cannot ride it until a dealer performs handle and throttle self learning (and some extra learning on APRC models) on your bike. You keep your original ECU.....you can put back into your bike without re-learning, and sell the RACE ECU later, the new guy will need handle/throttle learning done before use on his bike.

3. Send us your stock ECU, and we can unlock and program it with codes not supplied by Aprilia for way less money than the race ECU. We have our own method to acheive the exact same end result. I think we are the only ones doing this. You still need to go to a dealer for handle and throttle learning after we send the ECU with race mapping back to you just like normal.

Just had AF1 do the #3 option a few weeks ago and took it to my local dealer for the throttle learn which only took minutes. It's the best option in my book.
    You either decide to commence to living or commence to dying.........

apriliaforum Junkie
    With such a wide variety of slip-ons available, each affecting the bike in different ways, how can the race ECU deal with this compared to say a Power Commander that lets you install unique maps at will?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if I were to fit an after market slip-on, what's special about the race ECU that it will run fine compared to the stock ECU?

My previous experience of going after market is I had a PCIII on my 04 R1, with no cat and A&R race baffles in stock slip-ons, and I have a PCV on my 08 Blade, with no cat and a Taylormade Racing slip-on and O2 sensor eliminator fitted, both solutions allowed me to change the map any time to one suitable to my set up, whether it was a custom map specifically for my bike or a different one for the same set up.

I didn't realise changing the huge, ugly exhaust on the RSV4 Factory would be more hassle than my R1 or Blade.

Marky:
    What everyone is describing is NO harder than installing a PCV! It's just different than what you're used to. You buy a new ECU or have it updated by AF1. Swap out the ECU and have the dealer do the throttle learning. The only difference between the different bikes (ECU vs. PCV) is the throttle learning.

You don't even have to run power supply. Just swap out the ECU and go. Don't be afraid of something new and then think it is harder than what you're used to. It's just different.

a PCIII or PCV or Bazazz are all basic add-on boxes.....very crude devices actually. The Bazazz box does add additional features.

They richen or lean the fueling from whatever the ECU is putting out based only on RPM and throttle position (TP%). The stock ECU sets fueling on many more factors (temps, throttle demand changes, demand rate of change, pressures, etc). Our very advanced RBW system definielty comes into play.

Those add-on boxes are more of a fine tuning device and they have limits. They cannot alter ignition timing or any of the RBW settings. All that gets changed with the RACE mapping. Full power ignition, full power RBW settings, and full power fueling. RACE mapping is the only way to change these.

You really need to add RACE mapping before the add-on box gets added and mapped. You still need the ECU putting out good information to the crude add-on box.....the RACE mapping is very, very good mapping for slip-ons and full systems.....then you can add a box and custom fine tune on a dyno, if you so desire (but it's not really needed).

apriliaforum expert
    Marky the PC3 does nothing but change the fueling + or -. The race ecu changes the ignition and fueling.

Oh and get rid of that Taylormade exhaust for your 08 because all you did was spend a ton of dough to make your bike look good. Its by far the worst performing exhaust for the new cbr.

apriliaforum Junkie
    What I'm trying to understand is how the OEM race ECU is capable of working with X, Y and Z slip-on.

If X slip-on is fitted, does the dealer install X map on the race ECU, if Y slip-on do they install Y map, etc, or is it sophisticated enough that it programmes itself to whatever slip-on is fitted when the dealer goes through the throttle learning process?

I just want to make sure I understand it all properly, so I can make the right decision and not harm the bike in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by jgos929 View Post
    Oh and get rid of that Taylormade exhaust for your 08 because all you did was spend a ton of dough to make your bike look good. Its by far the worst performing exhaust for the new cbr.
    I didn't want it for performance and only wanted it for its looks and sound.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast