Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: do i need race ecu or not?

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AchiRooster View Post
    Ed my question is: Is your RACE software exactly as the RACE software we can get from Aprilia RACE ecu?
    Absotuletly yes.
    Even the "RACE" ECU you buy from Aprilia will need to be updated with the same new software/maps.
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

apriliaforum newb
    An do you know if "a stock ECU pre-loaded with the RACE mapping" will be as easy to update as a race ECU which is unlocked.

Do we need the AKRA map code everytime we will update the software inside the stock ECU ?

The race ECU will not need any code to be updated ?

Max Lean Angle / Administrator Ed / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    yes, updates the exact same.....just do not ever load a non-RACE map into the RACE ECU or one of ours, as that relocks it. There is no reason to ever do this, so its a non-issue.

It does not take the codes again for updating for instance 2010 RACE to 2011 RACE. It only takes codes going from NON-RACE (any version) to RACE (any version)

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks a lot for your answer.
    So stock ECU with RACE map is exactly the same as RACE ecu.

Really good news for

Quote Originally Posted by Kyro View Post
    Thanks a lot for your answer.
    So stock ECU with RACE map is exactly the same as RACE ecu.

Really good news for
    yes, same thing

apriliaforum expert
    There seems to no message about the following so IŽll ask the stupid question:
    Aprilia sells the racing electrics kit with the programmable APX2 ecu so
    1) Is it even possible to use this on a road bike
    2) Would there be any advantage of using this on a road bike.
    As I understand, the APX2 is a lot more adjustable than the standard ecu, where the std and race maps are just pre-programeed (and updated) but unadjustable maps.
    Price and availability might be an issue here also.

apriliaforum Member AchiRooster's Avatar
    About 2 weeks ago I saw on ebay an ECU from an RSV4 R 2010YM. I figured the ecu is the same with mine(Factory APRC 2011YM) just the maps inside are different. I immediately emailed Steve over at AF1 Racing and asked him if this particular ecu fits on my bike. He said it does, confirming my thoughts that the maps only differ and not the actual ecu device. I placed a bid and the next day the ecu was on the way to Ed to re-program the RACE maps. It took 1 day to arrive from Ca. to Texas and another day for Ed to work his magic on the ecu. I paid the fee to AF1 Racing plus shipping and the ecu was on the way to me to Greece.
    I did this because i was not comfortable taking my ecu and shipping it to the US and then having it shipped back to me. I am located in Greece and the main dealer is about 250km away from me. So yesterday I loaded up my RSV4 on the trailer and went to the main dealer to install the ecu. I already knew that upgrades were available but didn't know how to tell them that this ecu is not the actual RACE ecu made by Aprilia but by Af1 in the US. Also, the bike is still under warranty. So needless to say I was a bit on the stressed side because I did not know what to expect. When I arrived and had the bike on the bench stripped I gave them the ecu and when they saw it they asked if I was sure if this fits on my bike. I said let's find out. When the bike was connected to the dealer's computer they said that there is an upgrade as well for the TC, and the gyroscopic sensors and we might as well do that too. I smiled and said sure do what you have to do! Then they said that the ecu works fine and soon as I saw the RACE on the speedo all my worries went to rest. So now I have the RACE map, the upgrade from Aprilia and the mechanic removed the cables that open/close the fly in the exhaust pipe. He said I do not really need it, it is only for noise and emmissions. As soon as the bike started with the new ecu the sound was deeper and a bit louder and of course I got an erection I still have my ecu intact so if something happens, or I would like to sell the race ecu i can still do it.
    So my whole experience with AF1 Racing was very possitive and would like thank both Steve and Ed for the great work they do! Even though I am 1000s of miles/kms away everything went so smooth.
    Thanks guys!!!!
    You rock!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00167.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	290.1 KB 
ID:	176474  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00216.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	284.0 KB 
ID:	176475  

Name:	DSC00221.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	285.0 KB 
ID:	176476  

Name:	DSC00211.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	280.8 KB 
ID:	176477  

apriliaforum Member AchiRooster's Avatar
    Some fotos of my RSV4 factory aPRC (still a work in progress):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00169.jpg 
Size:	304.6 KB 
ID:	176478  

Name:	DSC00171.jpg 
Size:	307.1 KB 
ID:	176479  

Name:	DSC00173.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	288.0 KB 
ID:	176480  

Name:	DSC00170.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	299.5 KB 
ID:	176481  

Name:	DSC00174.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	276.8 KB 
ID:	176482  

apriliaforum newb
    Hi guys!

Been browsing the forum for some time now, and have a question about what map to use...
    I have a RSV4R from 2010, and i bought a Bazzaz for it. (Stupid without a race ecu, i know that now^^ )
    However, i have a power drop at about 6k revs, and have heard that the race ecu map can fix this.
    So i drive the bike to Helsingborg here in sweden. (Plus 1c cold!!) And i wonder what is the name of the map i should use? They said something about a map 102 or 103.????
    I have a Mivv slipon and highflow airfilter.

If they cant fix my mapping problem i just might have to send it to the guy that unlocks the ECU in USA....
    The Ed guy ^^

Thanks in advance!

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed / AF1 Racing View Post
    You still need to go to a dealer for handle and throttle learning .
    Hello Ed, I have just ordered the Aprilia/Akra slipon system and have requested the unlock option on the ECU, can you elaborate on what the dealer has to do for the handle and throttle learning?

I would like to ensure they get this right before I trailer the bike 400 kilometres home.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Peteren View Post
    Hello Ed, I have just ordered the Aprilia/Akra slipon system and have requested the unlock option on the ECU, can you elaborate on what the dealer has to do for the handle and throttle learning?

I would like to ensure they get this right before I trailer the bike 400 kilometres home.

Cheers
    he should really know how to do it....ask him how many they've done.

for loading the RACE mapping, he'll plug in and go to REPROGRAMMING, select the AKRA map, enter unlock code, and then follow the on screen prompts.

for the handle / throttle learning, he needs to plug in and go to DIAGNOSIS, and do the two steps HANDLE LEARNING and then THROTTLE SELF LEARNING, and follow the on-screen prompts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed / AF1 Racing View Post
    he should really know how to do it....ask him how many they've done.

for loading the RACE mapping, he'll plug in and go to REPROGRAMMING, select the AKRA map, enter unlock code, and then follow the on screen prompts.

for the handle / throttle learning, he needs to plug in and go to DIAGNOSIS, and do the two steps HANDLE LEARNING and then THROTTLE SELF LEARNING, and follow the on-screen prompts

Thanks - Can I ask if I can buy a US spec ecu - have it shipped to you for the race map - and it work fine in the UK?

I have a 2014 R APRC with abs - I think I need ecu with part no 228216 but these are hard to find in the UK. Can I buy a US spec ecu?

Can I also ask your thoughts on what it will likely do for cooling/heat - will the bike run cooler with the race map decat and slip on vs the stock mapping and stock can with cat?

yes, same ECU worldwide....same RACE map worldwide

yes, should run a touch cooler since its not lean at part throttles, and getting rid of the super hot cat helps too

Quote Originally Posted by Progression View Post
    Thanks - Can I ask if I can buy a US spec ecu - have it shipped to you for the race map - and it work fine in the UK?

I have a 2014 R APRC with abs - I think I need ecu with part no 228216 but these are hard to find in the UK. Can I buy a US spec ecu?

Can I also ask your thoughts on what it will likely do for cooling/heat - will the bike run cooler with the race map decat and slip on vs the stock mapping and stock can with cat?

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789