Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: engine drop out, removal from frame

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
    I spotted only 2 myself as well ...
    Yes, there are always three spacers/shims installed at the factory assembly line.

Two 3mm thick aluminum spacers between the frame and each side of the crankcase, on the upper front motor mount, #7 in diagram.

And one steel shim (washer) between the frame and the crankcase on the RH lower mount bolt, #8 in diagram.

The lower shim can be sized from 0.5mm to 2.0mm depending on how much of a gap needs adjusting.

Every motor I've removed from a bike has had a shim on the lower bolt.
    The only exception being on bikes where someone else removed the motor previously. Most people just don't see it and it ends up getting lost.

Name:  Pages from Catalogo.jpg
Views: 2610
Size:  166.6 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Pages .jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	195.1 KB 
ID:	184306
    Last edited by amauri; 02-23-2012 at 11:04 PM.
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

apriliaforum expert Allen Noland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by amauri View Post
    Most people just don't see it and it ends up getting lost.
    ....or they use it as a flat washer under the nut.
    Noland Trans-World Cycle
    7 East 1st Ave. Mountain Lake Park, MD 21550 * Phone (301) 616-2034 * e-mail allennoland@yahoo.com
    http://www.facebook.com/NolandTransWorldCycle

apriliaforum Junkie
    Well I did spot the 3mm spacers, now all I need to do is to locate the steel shim and see where I left it

Luckily the engine is still out of the frame

Thanks again Allen and Amauri!!

apriliaforum newb
    For what its worth, my two bob (Oz speak for worthless input...):

I leave the thing on it's side stand and without pulling the swing arm shaft all the way out, put a big pin part way in on the LH side (keeps the swing arm together and stops it all collapsing when you couldn't be bothered jacking frames and stuff) and the last bolt I take out is the bottom one. If you do it right, it all hinges down nicely on that last little bolt (the one with this elusive spacer). If you use a few line clamps, you won't lose much coolant bar the stuff you spill on your jeans when it hinges down on your lap. Oils drained of course.

Haven't got it down to 30mins yet but it's too hot to work fast in Oz and you often spill your beer trying!
    Adapt, adopt and improve.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    G'day Emil55 its Sean i used to work at the Aprilia dealership and i belive worked on your bike. hows the bike going ? did you do the fink race or oz safari ?

My method is similar to Emil55. I swapped my engines last week and found the best way that involves the least amount of heavy lifting is....

• Support the bike upright, if you use a lift stand make sure it's clear of the engine, toward the rear wheel under the frame.
    • Remove the lower radiator mounting bolt which allows the radiators to swing forward.
    • Remove the top engine mount bolt and leave a screwdriver in the hole to support the engine (noting the position of the shims).
    • Push the swingarm pivot bolt out so it's clear of the engine but not all the way (this means that the swingarm stays in the correct place and makes it easier to refit).
    • Support the engine at the front head, remove the screwdriver holding the engine and it should hinge down about the bottom bolt and the front valve cover will touch the floor allowing you to remove the bottom bolt and not lose the last shim. Beware, it will still be heavy!!
    • reassembly is, as they say, the reverse of disassembly.

No stress and less chance of dropping in on yourself.... which is important when you're in the workshop by yourself late at night! Obviously you need to drain the oil and coolant, disconnect the wires, throttle bodies and remove exhaust pipes... but if I have to tell you that, should you really be removing and refitting engines?
    Last edited by daws; 01-08-2013 at 02:50 AM. Reason: spelling

Gotta love this one! Taking out my engine tomorrow and this topic will really help me!

apriliaforum Junkie
    I just laid the bike flat on the ground, easy to push the engine back in without having to lift it!

Took the engine off today, took me ruffly 2 hours...a spanner on one hand a beer on the other...LOL it's full summer in Oz!

I end up stripping most of the bike as it's my first SXV and was interested in how the all bike works...especially how they fit a V-twin engine on a SM bike, you have to give credits to the Italians even with all the "latte" problems with the engine.

If you have work on any 2 or 4 stroke dirt-bikes is quite similar routine.

Thanks again for the help guys, always mucho appreciated!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Would a sportbike style rear stand be ok for the engine drop out? The stand holds the bike up trough the rear axle protectors

Quote Originally Posted by doctoroo View Post
    Would a sportbike style rear stand be ok for the engine drop out? The stand holds the bike up trough the rear axle protectors
    You can't do the whole job with it on a swingarm stand, since the swingarm pivot bolt must be removed to get the engine out.

^I used one on my last removal. Just had to lift up on the subframe a bit to remove the swingarm bolt, remove engine and reinstall bolt to keep it on the stand. It's possible.

^ you don't need to completely remove the swingarm pivot, just slide it out enough so that it's clear of the engine. This makes it easier to reinstall too. Therefore you can use a swingarm stand... I'm pretty sure I've used one for an engine change once.

^correct again. I always have the bike on the swingarm stand while dropping the engine. Sliding the pivot bolt out and sliding in a deep well socket on the countershaft sprocket side keeps everything pretty lined up. My earlier post was only meant to convey that something additional would be needed under the frame during the actual portion of the process that would require the swingarm pivot bolt to be partially removed.

Didn't mean to cause such confusion...

When I dropped my engine from frame I tried using some suggestions from forum, to leave airbox and TB in frame - impossible in my case. There was no way, to unscrew 4 bolts under TBs :P
    2006 Aprilia SXV 450
    Tuneboy Cable available in Poland

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast