Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mana Air Box

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoRider View Post
    Checked local auto parts stores, nobody here stocks anything close. Going to order online and do tear down once I have parts. How tedious is the airbox removal ?
    Yah, I was fortunate to find someone that carried it. Wasn't a local place; had to drive an hour each way.

RC 2340 is perfect though, so if you're ordering it, go with that.

Air box removal is pretty easy. I can type up a how to if you don't have the workshop manual. Otherwise AF1 sells the manual for like $7
    09 Mana
    03 Mille R
    Internally supercharged GS500
    and more

apriliaforum Junkie
    I have something on CD, but finding it could be a challenge. Maybe I'll come across my passport in the process (I put it somewhere where I would always be able to find it).
    Previous rides:
    2009 Mana 850, 2005 K1200S, 2004 Multistrada,
    2002 R1100S (modified), 2003 R1150RT,2005 FJR1300,

Quick shot while I was working on the headlight that shows the filter

09 Mana
    03 Mille R
    and more

To give you the run down on removing the air box, you have to :

remove the trim piece around the key(undo two bolts in the helmet bay)

remove the battery cover piece(undo two bolts in the helmet bay)

remove the rubber stopper at the bottom of the helmet bay. Through this, you slide a flat head screw drive in to undo the worm screw clamp that attaches the throttle body to the air box

remove the little 8mm bolt on the floor of the helmet bay, directly below the 12v outlet. Was covered by the battery cover piece.

Remove the left fairing piece that has the aprilia written on it. Three bolts, one up by the ignition, on just above the radiator, and one that's covered by the lid for the helmet bay.

Disconnect the wires going to the horn.

Remove the one bolt at the top of the air box(was hidden by the fairing panel)

Pull the box out and disconnect the breather pipe.
    09 Mana
    03 Mille R
    and more

apriliaforum Junkie
    Thanks for taking time to document, it'll save me & others time looking for all the fasteners. Overall, it gives the Mana a much cleaner look and exposes the nice trellis frame.

The Shiver headlight sure gives tha Mana a sinister look.
    Previous rides:

No prob. A couple of the bolts would be really hard to find if you didn't know where to look for them(i.e. the two you have to access through the helmet compartment)
    09 Mana
    03 Mille R
    and more

Well, rode around a bit this morning. Power feels... about the same. Hard to tell.

Noise on the other hand... you press the start button, and as the engine comes to life, you can hear a gulp sound as the air goes rushing in. At idle and low throttle, the bike sounds the same as stock. Give it about half throttle and the intake noise starts to growl very noticeably. Give it full throttle and it snarls. It's weird to actually hear the bike at highway speeds, etc.
    09 Mana
    03 Mille R
    and more

I'm not sure I'm convinced I'm loving the exposed pod filter. I need to do some comparison testing.

Maybe I'll get bored and make a replacement carbon cover for the air box with some ducting built in.
    09 Mana
    03 Mille R
    and more

Quote Originally Posted by mllcb42 View Post
    I'm not sure I'm convinced I'm loving the exposed pod filter. I need to do some comparison testing.

Maybe I'll get bored and make a replacement carbon cover for the air box with some ducting built in.
    Was actually thinking of having the one that I cut redone in carbon to match the bike...
    Oscar Wilde: "I don't want to go to Heaven; none of my friends are there."

2010 Black Mana GT
    RSV4 Factory OZ wheels, RSV4 Sachs adjustable Forks, RSV4 brembo 100mm monobloc brakes, RSV4 Factory Rotors, Pilot Road 2 Spec B tires, HyperPro Lowered Suspension, Leo Vince Exhaust, HID Hi/Lo lights,Carbon Front Fender, Carbon LED mirrors, Carbon Heel-guards, cut rear tail, DD Aluminum brake lever, Frame Sliders, Puig Chin Fairing, Rear Hugger, Kaoko Throttle Lock, MFW adjustable footpegs, Custom Painted Wheels/Rotors/Brakes Valentine One Radar, voltmeter, Tach, removed evap can, and lots o decals

You know you want it done with a scoop to ram some air in there.

Wonder if they guys at AF1 would dyno one if I sent one their way.
    09 Mana
    03 Mille R
    and more

Why yes I do, why yes I do...
    Oscar Wilde: "I don't want to go to Heaven; none of my friends are there."

2010 Black Mana GT
    RSV4 Factory OZ wheels, RSV4 Sachs adjustable Forks, RSV4 brembo 100mm monobloc brakes, RSV4 Factory Rotors, Pilot Road 2 Spec B tires, HyperPro Lowered Suspension, Leo Vince Exhaust, HID Hi/Lo lights,Carbon Front Fender, Carbon LED mirrors, Carbon Heel-guards, cut rear tail, DD Aluminum brake lever, Frame Sliders, Puig Chin Fairing, Rear Hugger, Kaoko Throttle Lock, MFW adjustable footpegs, Custom Painted Wheels/Rotors/Brakes Valentine One Radar, voltmeter, Tach, removed evap can, and lots o decals

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mllcb42 View Post
    You know you want it done with a scoop to ram some air in there.
    My thoughts exactly ...
    Previous rides:

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Will be happy to test it for you once I have one in my hands to install and test on a demo or customer's Mana, no charge for dyno test, I will even do the test static and with 135mph air blown directly into it as realistic as possible to simulate a top end run. Best would be to give one to a customer who is local to me, that way install time and test time is not a loss for anyone. I would do it on my demo Mana but, it sd so I am without a demo Mana at the NB store right now. Test bike can be either totally stock or with slip on. I ran my last demo with the cover off quite a bit with noe issues other than noise and 5 bhp more than stock with the stock pipe and 4 bhp more than he stock cleaner with Leo pipe.

Make it right and ot will make big gains at speed. Things with undersize valves and brittle bodies respond exceptional well even to small increases in manifold pressure, or in simple terms, ram air works better with a air starved engine than a simply rpm starved engine.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Sounds like a plan. When I get to that point, I'll ship one or two off to you guys to do whatever you please with it.

In the mean time, I'll post up progress pictures as they go here. Ordered some foam to do the work with last night. Already have most everything else I need.
    09 Mana
    03 Mille R
    and more

Since everyone loves build threads, figured I'd post these.

So the plan here is to make a replacement cover for the air box with a duct built in. This would serve as an alternative to pulling the whole box, give some ram air, make more power, yadda yadda yadda

So the tools of the trade today:

The all important tape for protecting the surface/giving something to draw on, some clay working tools, air box, and a sharpie.

Going to start by mapping out a general shape. Always good to have a plan of action.

Sketching out the duct design, trying to pull lines from the box. The V shape at the bottom of the air box is mirrored now in the leading edge of the duct, and all the lines are referenced off of lines already in the box. This is how the shape stays cohesive.

Start piling on the clay.

Some time later, and after lots of shaping, the duct starts to come together. Doesn't quite fill in the sketched lines, but they make great reference elements. You have to let the duct shape itself somewhat.

09 Mana
    03 Mille R
    and more

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast