Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mana Air Box

someone is going to have to draw something that us knuckleheads can follow. I will ask a stupid question since I never took the air box cover off. Can you poke holes in it and put some sort of filter stuff over the holes?
    Dan
    Noli nothis permittere te terere
    1964 Vespa VBB, 2009 Vespa GTV 250, 2009 Stella 2T, 2009 Aprilia Mana 850, 1975 BMW R75/6, 1984 Moto Guzzi LeMans 3

Quote Originally Posted by Schuyler / AF1 Racing View Post
    DO NOT RUN THE CASE BREATHER TO ANY LOCATION ON THE BACK SIDE OF THE THROTTLE PLATE, it was intended to vent to airbox at or very near atmospheric pressure, NOT under VACUUM! I personally like the long hose and little breather filter setup, something has always bothered me re-breathing mostly combustion blowby.

Micah (from Schuyler's computer)
    Doh, having not taken it apart, I wasn't thinking it all the way through. Yes, one should connect it on the same side of the throttle body as it is right now.

That said, it'd still be under vacuum when the throttle plate is opened, just not the high vacuum seen from being behind the throttle plate with it closed. A crankcase breather doesn't offer that. It very well may not make any difference what so ever. It most likely doesn't, and is only drawn through the engine for the EPA tree huggers so that crankcase gas doesn't vent to atmosphere.
    09 Mana
    03 Mille R
    Internally supercharged GS500
    and more

apriliaforum Junkie
    I believe they used to call it EGR - Exhaust Gas Recirculation. Perhaps Exhaust Gas Regurgitation would be more appropriate ...

The purpose of EGR was primarily to reduce NOx emissions, but can compromise engine efficiency i.e. power and fuel economy. FWIW.
    Previous rides:
    2009 Mana 850, 2005 K1200S, 2004 Multistrada,
    2002 R1100S (modified), 2003 R1150RT,2005 FJR1300,

Quote Originally Posted by Vesparazzi View Post
    someone is going to have to draw something that us knuckleheads can follow. I will ask a stupid question since I never took the air box cover off. Can you poke holes in it and put some sort of filter stuff over the holes?
    Like this?

Sent from my Droid please excuse any typos
    Oscar Wilde: "I don't want to go to Heaven; none of my friends are there."

2010 Black Mana GT
    RSV4 Factory OZ wheels, RSV4 Sachs adjustable Forks, RSV4 brembo 100mm monobloc brakes, RSV4 Factory Rotors, Pilot Road 2 Spec B tires, HyperPro Lowered Suspension, Leo Vince Exhaust, HID Hi/Lo lights,Carbon Front Fender, Carbon LED mirrors, Carbon Heel-guards, cut rear tail, DD Aluminum brake lever, Frame Sliders, Puig Chin Fairing, Rear Hugger, Kaoko Throttle Lock, MFW adjustable footpegs, Custom Painted Wheels/Rotors/Brakes Valentine One Radar, voltmeter, Tach, removed evap can, and lots o decals

I thought you did that but wasnt sure. Why none right in the center of that circular thingy?
    Dan
    1964 Vespa VBB, 2009 Vespa GTV 250, 2009 Stella 2T, 2009 Aprilia Mana 850, 1975 BMW R75/6, 1984 Moto Guzzi LeMans 3

apriliaforum prov-nov
    @PSolk -- Thanks for the photos! Question -- What did you use to cover/filter the holes and keep the material in place?

How did this change the sound of the machine, idle and wide open..
    Did you notice any performance changes?

There isn't any need to filter the holes as they're all prior in the air stream to the stock filter. Any air going in there still has to go through the filter to get to the engine.
    09 Mana
    03 Mille R
    and more

Quote Originally Posted by mllcb42 View Post
    There isn't any need to filter the holes as they're all prior in the air stream to the stock filter. Any air going in there still has to go through the filter to get to the engine.
    so whats the problem choking the mana, the cover or the filter or other? Does it do any good even to do those holes?
    Dan

apriliaforum Junkie
    The inlet tube (under the 'tank') is rather small, restricting air flow. If you bypass that restriction, you can get more air flow. I like what Paul has done, the orange from the filter is cool.
    Previous rides:
    2009 Mana 850, 2005 K1200S, 2004 Multistrada,
    2002 R1100S (modified), 2003 R1150RT,2005 FJR1300,

Quote Originally Posted by Vesparazzi View Post
    so whats the problem choking the mana, the cover or the filter or other? Does it do any good even to do those holes?
    These holes let in air right behind the filter. It's a pretty direct path from the filter to the throttle body. The really restrictive part is between where the air inlets into the air box and the filter. These holes bypass that.
    09 Mana
    03 Mille R
    and more

Yep, from an aesthetics perspective I wasn't crazy about the look of a big filter sticking out the side despite my desire to show more of the frame... I would need something fabricated to cover the filter if I went that route (hint hint Matt) So in lieu of that I tried to keep the stock aesthetics while at the same time allowing in some more air to open things up a bit. Looking at it again I can probably open up it up even more and go with a simple black mesh backing opposed to the filter I have there now... The bike was picked up at midnight last night though so nothing I can do about it until I get her back anyway.

I am "hoping" I will have her back for next weekend so I can get her on the track October 11th-12th to dial in the new suspension.
    Oscar Wilde: "I don't want to go to Heaven; none of my friends are there."

2010 Black Mana GT
    RSV4 Factory OZ wheels, RSV4 Sachs adjustable Forks, RSV4 brembo 100mm monobloc brakes, RSV4 Factory Rotors, Pilot Road 2 Spec B tires, HyperPro Lowered Suspension, Leo Vince Exhaust, HID Hi/Lo lights,Carbon Front Fender, Carbon LED mirrors, Carbon Heel-guards, cut rear tail, DD Aluminum brake lever, Frame Sliders, Puig Chin Fairing, Rear Hugger, Kaoko Throttle Lock, MFW adjustable footpegs, Custom Painted Wheels/Rotors/Brakes Valentine One Radar, voltmeter, Tach, removed evap can, and lots o decals

Did you have any problems with operation from opening up the breathing? So all I have to do is wack some hole sin the cover or wait till matt makes a caron fiber one with more holes? Paul you me and Mike will get together when I get headlight. Ill bring Mana down to NJ and you come over to me or I go over to your house. GPR exhaust on its way from UK. Great price too $545 with shipping and all.
    Dan

If I go down the route of making something for the air box, it'd probably be something to replace it all together. I want to see that frame damn it!
    09 Mana
    03 Mille R
    and more

apriliaforum newb
    Just a photo of my crankcase breather filter arrangement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0077.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	282.0 KB 
ID:	171398  

@ stormtropper211

Stupid question, I know but, don't know much about this stuff.
    What does the crankcase breather filter do?
    Thanks

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast