Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Recipe for some proper HIDs

Amazing the difference it makes riding at night. Literally like night and day.
    09 Mana
    03 Mille R
    Internally supercharged GS500
    and more

HID low beams alone

HID low beams and stock high beams

HID low beams and stock high beams and Denali leds

HID low beams and Denali leds

The camera makes it look like there is more glare than there actually is to the naked eye. I could actually see into the light from across the street taking these pictures. No glare whatsoever to my eye. The photos are very misleading.

This photo shows the remarkable cut off pattern. Amazing how Matt was able to make the left (oncoming drivers) cut off lower than the rights. The cut off is razor sharp. This sitting on the bike.

Matt, might have to have you make one for my vintage Guzzi.
    Dan
    Noli nothis permittere te terere
    1964 Vespa VBB, 2009 Vespa GTV 250, 2009 Stella 2T, 2009 Aprilia Mana 850, 1975 BMW R75/6, 1984 Moto Guzzi LeMans 3

The cut off pattern actually isn't my doing. That's the result of using the right tool for the job and a large part of why the extra expense of retrofitting in a projector assembly is the only way to go.
    09 Mana
    03 Mille R
    and more

apriliaforum Junkie SapperPest19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mllcb42 View Post
    using the right tool for the job
    Hmmm...where's the challenge in that?

The challenge is making it fit in the tool box and not look like someone just duct taped it to the lid.
    09 Mana
    03 Mille R
    and more

apriliaforum Junkie SapperPest19's Avatar
    Good point.

Nah it's all about attitude; I approach things assuming I am the right tool for the job.

Ps: F/king excellent work mllcb - I'd love to show my appreciation by ordering one from you, but since I'll be moving onto the scoot for winter I'd hardly get any use form it..
    Last edited by BigJim.T32; 10-19-2011 at 12:01 PM.

Sorry for bumping an old topic, but if i understood this right some of the ppl in this topic bought a HID conversion kit from mllcb42 that's basically plug and play for the mana headlight? or did he manufacture a "new inside" of the headlight with projectors and sell them to you guys? if so , what is the cost for this?

Quote Originally Posted by nkla View Post
    Sorry for bumping an old topic, but if i understood this right some of the ppl in this topic bought a HID conversion kit from mllcb42 that's basically plug and play for the mana headlight? or did he manufacture a "new inside" of the headlight with projectors and sell them to you guys? if so , what is the cost for this?
    both. He uses a stock headlight in which he installs projectors etc. He creates an entire plug and play harness for you with ballast. The difference in lighting is unreal. I was the first one to have it. I must have it for two years. Recently it stopped working and Matt helped me step by step to trouble shoot it (I am an idiot mechanically). Turned out to be the ballast and I bought the new version of the ballast from the supplier (who also gave me a discounted price). As for the price of the unit, talk to matt. Well worth it. I wish I could have HID on my vintage bikes.
    Dan
    1964 Vespa VBB, 2009 Vespa GTV 250, 2009 Stella 2T, 2009 Aprilia Mana 850, 1975 BMW R75/6, 1984 Moto Guzzi LeMans 3

Quote Originally Posted by Vesparazzi View Post
    both. He uses a stock headlight in which he installs projectors etc. He creates an entire plug and play harness for you with ballast. The difference in lighting is unreal. I was the first one to have it. I must have it for two years. Recently it stopped working and Matt helped me step by step to trouble shoot it (I am an idiot mechanically). Turned out to be the ballast and I bought the new version of the ballast from the supplier (who also gave me a discounted price). As for the price of the unit, talk to matt. Well worth it. I wish I could have HID on my vintage bikes.
    so i need to send him my headlight and he "converts" it to a HID headlight with projectors, or i can buy the "insides" of an already converted headlight from him and just put it into my headlight and go?

why dont you pm him? I dont know if he is still doing it but the way I worked it is he sent me the complete unit already done and I gave him my headlight and the price he asked for. He started it off by buying spare headlight and then everyone that got one sent him their headlight.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Vesparazzi View Post
    why dont you pm him? I dont know if he is still doing it but the way I worked it is he sent me the complete unit already done and I gave him my headlight and the price he asked for. He started it off by buying spare headlight and then everyone that got one sent him their headlight.
    I probably will pm him and ask, although im still looking into getting a totally different headlight, he might be able to do the conversion on the headlight i might get or the stock mana one, i will pm and ask.
    btw do you mind updating the pictures in the post #77 they dont work anymore and id like to see them =)

So I've been working on 2 lights recently, one for psolk and one for an RSV4. Of course, they both have to be more difficult requests than normal that involve a lot of custom work.

Psolk decided he wanted dual projectors, so dual bixenons are what he got.

Unfortunately, the stock headlight bezel inside the light completely interferes, so I first tried trimming it up to see if I could get it to behave.

Figured I'd give filament winding carbon around it a try.

Ended up kinda interesting looking, but just wasn't happy with how it finished out.

What it really needed was a custom bezel designed from the get go to work right.

So I went to work on the cad terminal, and 3d printed one. I wanted to work out this process before tackling it on the RSV4 light as it will be a lot more involved and this was a far simpler shape. I know what I need to now to continue with the RSV4 light.

Ah, so much better looking

After a bit of finishing work

About ready for on-bike testing

09 Mana
    03 Mille R
    and more

hehehe...
    Oscar Wilde: "I don't want to go to Heaven; none of my friends are there."

2010 Black Mana GT
    RSV4 Factory OZ wheels, RSV4 Sachs adjustable Forks, RSV4 brembo 100mm monobloc brakes, RSV4 Factory Rotors, Pilot Road 2 Spec B tires, HyperPro Lowered Suspension, Leo Vince Exhaust, HID Hi/Lo lights,Carbon Front Fender, Carbon LED mirrors, Carbon Heel-guards, cut rear tail, DD Aluminum brake lever, Frame Sliders, Puig Chin Fairing, Rear Hugger, Kaoko Throttle Lock, MFW adjustable footpegs, Custom Painted Wheels/Rotors/Brakes Valentine One Radar, voltmeter, Tach, removed evap can, and lots o decals

Paul, what a PIA! If 1 is good, 2 is better. You may melt the tarmac in front of you at a red light!
    It's going to be awesome so I suggest you let me test it for you to make sure it focuses properly.
    Ray
    '10 White GT

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast