Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Shifting problems with the Mana GT

FlyCasual isn't the original poster of this thread.
    09 Mana
    03 Mille R
    Internally supercharged GS500
    and more

apriliaforum prov-nov FlyCasual's Avatar
    yeah i didn't wanna start a new thread for the same problem others were having. My bike does not have ABS.
    If i knew how to grease the variator threads I would, but i don't. The dealer is backed up so I have to wait a couple weeks before I can leave my bike with them. Thanks for the input.
    I'll keep everyone updated with the prognosis & costs.

Sounds like no fun for awhile-

apriliaforum prov-nov FlyCasual's Avatar
    I got my bike back yesterday (after 3months) from the dealer that shall go unamed but you all probably know from my location.

Not getting out of 1st gear (GEAR on screen) according to dealer:

It says the front variator disintegrated & had to be rebuilt. So after waiting months for Aprilia to come back from Holiday, I was on some sort of queue for shipping parts: Complete control bushing & bush stop. This was about 3 hrs of labor plus parts for all of you wondering what the co$t$ will be. Plus I'm at 4500 miles so they made me get "the service" even though I had changed my own oil 200 miles ago. Another 3hrs of labor plus oil, spark plugs & filter. I couldn't even speak to anyone about this. I'm reading to you my invoice line by line. They avoided me like the plague when I went to pick up my bike. I'm wasn't mad at all; it was just bizzare.
    A little feedback would of been nice.

I've put on about 40 miles since yesterday, about 5 miles highway(up to 80 mph) and everything is fine. Glad to be back on the road.

Why did they change the spark plugs! Good lord I don't think even the factory recommends changing the plugs until at least 20,000 Km! My bike is up to nearly 60,000 and I've never changed the plugs! I was thinking the other day that I probably should start planning on doing them some time soon but what kills plugs, or used to, is lead foul. We haven't had lead in gas for thirty plus bloody years fer crying out loud. Most cars nowadays have 100,000km plug change intervals! What's so special about a boring little shitbox like the Mana that it would need its plugs changed out so early? Changing them out would add substantially to the time taken for the service too. Changing the oil and oil filter, the main thing you have to do when 'Servicing' the Mana takes about half an hour. Checking the bike from top to tail, checking fasteners and adjusting the chain along with checking the brake fluid with a hygrometer? Add another hour. Plugging in Navi or Pads and checking for any map upgrades and/or resetting the TPS and general parameters? Deleting errors etc? Another half hour. It all sounds bloody bizarre to me?

I hope when the variator was assembled it was greased correctly? If it was just assembled dry you'll be back in the same boat in another short period of time. Its really not that difficult! When I first had mine apart I looked at the threaded hub and it was very sparingly greased. Just looking at it and seeing how it worked and what it was expected to do it was obvious it was something that needed to be greased. So I greased it! It isn't rocket science! Look, I'm not the brightest star in the firmament but if I can work shit like this out surely anybody competent can? Perhaps that's the issue? Competence!

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

Was this MM? I avoid their service like the plague. In fact I go 100 miles past them to New Haven! Yours is not the first Mana I have heard of taking months to do a service that should take hours.
    Unfortunate
    Oscar Wilde: "I don't want to go to Heaven; none of my friends are there."

2010 Black Mana GT
    RSV4 Factory OZ wheels, RSV4 Sachs adjustable Forks, RSV4 brembo 100mm monobloc brakes, RSV4 Factory Rotors, Pilot Road 2 Spec B tires, HyperPro Lowered Suspension, Leo Vince Exhaust, HID Hi/Lo lights,Carbon Front Fender, Carbon LED mirrors, Carbon Heel-guards, cut rear tail, DD Aluminum brake lever, Frame Sliders, Puig Chin Fairing, Rear Hugger, Kaoko Throttle Lock, MFW adjustable footpegs, Custom Painted Wheels/Rotors/Brakes Valentine One Radar, voltmeter, Tach, removed evap can, and lots o decals

I don't go to MM due to their less than stellar reputation and my previous experience with their sales and service personnel pre-Mana. Like PSolk, I trailer the Mana 140 mi to New Haven for the major service intervals. The number 1 'problem' I have with the Aprilia brand is their extreme lack of presence in the USA.
    Ray
    '10 White GT

And we are fortunate.... At least we have the option to go to New Haven where they have some real Aprilia experts. If we can't have AF1 at least having access to New Haven and their mechanics is huge! Some areas really have zero zilchi zip nada not even an MM!
    Oscar Wilde: "I don't want to go to Heaven; none of my friends are there."

2010 Black Mana GT
    RSV4 Factory OZ wheels, RSV4 Sachs adjustable Forks, RSV4 brembo 100mm monobloc brakes, RSV4 Factory Rotors, Pilot Road 2 Spec B tires, HyperPro Lowered Suspension, Leo Vince Exhaust, HID Hi/Lo lights,Carbon Front Fender, Carbon LED mirrors, Carbon Heel-guards, cut rear tail, DD Aluminum brake lever, Frame Sliders, Puig Chin Fairing, Rear Hugger, Kaoko Throttle Lock, MFW adjustable footpegs, Custom Painted Wheels/Rotors/Brakes Valentine One Radar, voltmeter, Tach, removed evap can, and lots o decals

apriliaforum newb
    I'm having the same issue! I have a 2009 Mana (non-GT). I bought it about a year ago. I had this error happen to me once in November 2012. I just had to shut off and restart and I was fine until last week. Now I'm having the issue that everyone else is. At random times, I will get the GEAR error message (no gear mode name) and the warning light. It is impossible to predict when or how, but it has happened every ride I've been on for the last week.

Anyway, I'd like to try "grease the variator threads" to see if that fixes my problem like other people, but my dealer is 4 hours away and I'm relatively ignorant with this stuff. Anyone feel like giving me a few quick tips so I could try this out?

See my stickied belt replacement thread.

Pete

apriliaforum Member
    Pete,s thread is spot on and well worth the read ,there's a few dealers who could learn a lot from it .

Actually I went back and re-read it and realized that I hadn't really covered the lubing of the variator threads, Mea Culpa.

Essentially though the mechanism is in the front pulley that is driven by the reduction gears by the E-CVT motor. I'll see if I can dig out some relevant pics and add then into the photo essay. If I can't find anything though I'm afraid you'll have to wait until I have another one into the shop or my next belt change.

Pete

apriliaforum newb
    Just got the rain mode, red light problem, new to me 2010 GT, 2900 miles. After restart, no problem. Any pics yet on variator threads greasing? Thanks a lot, love this bike.
    Last edited by airheadbruce; 10-27-2013 at 03:05 PM.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hello, I have had problems also related to gear shifting. The bike will shift up on the foot pedal but not down shift. Will shift on the paddles and all the other modes work?? Any ideas any one???

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hey PETE, my mana has just had the pulleys,variator and belt changed. For some crazy reason the bike started to intermittently not shift down by the foot pedal and now will not shift at all! Everything else works fine, can shift up on the foot pedal just not down. Paddles work fine. Any ideas? You seem to know more about the mana than anyone else.
    cheers,
    Matt.

Sounds like the foot shift microswitch is either not positioned right or has gone tits up. Take the lever off and pull the shitty plastic cover to look at the switches and make sure they are correctly installed and making contact. If they look OK spring for a new switch. They cost way too much but not so much you wouldn't throw one in just to make sure.

pete

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast