Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shifting problems with the Mana GT

apriliaforum prov-nov
    First, thank you to everyone who has responded about this problem. Guess I am not the only one frustrated by it. To state that this is an incredibly tough problem to diagnose and solve is an understatement. I will try and summarize what has been noted so far.

The Mana GT can show a “GEAR” fault ( no gear mode “Touring, Sport” etc) showing( and not able to shift: When just warming up, when moving at low speed or when starting out. So far this has never occurred at anything greater than low/no speed. I also thought this problem may be a result of high mileage but some have less than 600 miles on their bike when it started.
    Trying to clear the problem: Sometimes restarting the bike has worked, sometimes letting the bike cool has worked and sometimes neither works. I tried disconnecting the battery in an attempt to reset everything and that didn’t work.
    Repair attempts: There has been a lot done in this area but so far everything has resulted in the problem returning at some point. Sometimes it may take as many as 1500 miles or more before the problem returns.
    Fixes to the problem that briefly caused the problem to go away but later return include:
    1. Cleaning out the CVT
    2. Replacing bushings in the CVT
    3. Replacing the entire front section of the CVT
    4. Reflashing the transmission ECU
    5. Replacing the transmission ECU
    To Brick317: I am curious to see if the problem returns on your bike. I am guessing the variator that was over torqued is part of the CVT? If so I would expect it to return based on my experience.

Nothing is consistent with this problem! The fact that major components such as the transmission ECU and CVT have been replaced without permanently solving the problem show how tough a problem this is. For example what is it about the bike cooling down process that allowed the problem to go away and what components were effected? This has happened twice on mine. Were components overheated? If so what caused them to be overheated? When the cooling down process doesn’t work then why not? Are the same components affected? When the restarting/rebooting booting works to clear the problem what was the error that was cleared and allowed the bike to run as normal? Why is it that the replacing of components caused the problem to go away but then later return? What else was affected by the component replacement?
    Given everything I have listed here (and what have I forgotten?) what are your thoughts on this?
    I don’t envy Aprilia on this problem at all.

Thanks for summarizing everything you've done and gone through, I can certainly relate to your frustration, especially since the Mana is your only source of transportation. Being that the shifting is electric, could it be some short or ground in the wiring harness? Being that the Mana is a new design, one wonders if this is a problem that will affect every bike or just a tiny percentage, and now it doesn't seem to be entirely mileage related.

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650 ABS (current)
    1987 Harley Davidson Lowrider Sport (current)
    2009 Aprilia Mana
    2006 Suzuki SV 650
    1984 Yamaha Virago
    1975 Yamaha YZ80 - 1972 Honda Z50 - 1971 Honda QA50

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I picked up my Mana GT yesterday from the dealer. Aprilia Italy is saying there are components on a threaded shaft in the CVT that need to be greased. Currently the US Manual says to keep the components dry when they are re-assembled. THIS IS WRONG! There will be a change coming out to the service manual that says to lubricate the components on the shaft. Whether this is the final fix remains to be seen. I understand that components that are supposed to be lubricated and aren’t could seize up. When I look at the first few times this happened which was after 5-6 hours of riding it makes sense. But the last time the CVT seized up was after about 3 miles of riding. I can’t see how the components could have warmed up enough to seize up. Especially considering they didn’t separate and operate normally after cooling. Once again, only time will tell. Just so tired of this.

And yesterday I decided it was time to go and buy a battery charger, for my truck, since I don't drive it enough to keep the clock from draining the battery. (and won't have to borrow my neighbor's charger)

Good to know, I'll be having a belt replaced and I'll mention this to the shop. I hope this is really the fix, good luck with everything.

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650 ABS (current)
    1987 Harley Davidson Lowrider Sport (current)
    2009 Aprilia Mana
    2006 Suzuki SV 650
    1984 Yamaha Virago
    1975 Yamaha YZ80 - 1972 Honda Z50 - 1971 Honda QA50

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by ApriliaWPNC View Post
    I picked up my Mana GT yesterday from the dealer. Aprilia Italy is saying there are components on a threaded shaft in the CVT that need to be greased. Currently the US Manual says to keep the components dry when they are re-assembled. THIS IS WRONG! There will be a change coming out to the service manual that says to lubricate the components on the shaft. Whether this is the final fix remains to be seen. I understand that components that are supposed to be lubricated and arenít could seize up. When I look at the first few times this happened which was after 5-6 hours of riding it makes sense. But the last time the CVT seized up was after about 3 miles of riding. I canít see how the components could have warmed up enough to seize up. Especially considering they didnít separate and operate normally after cooling. Once again, only time will tell. Just so tired of this.

And yesterday I decided it was time to go and buy a battery charger, for my truck, since I don't drive it enough to keep the clock from draining the battery. (and won't have to borrow my neighbor's charger)
    Once it has heated up and siezed a few times I would expect some level of galling of the shaft to take place making it more prone to acting up.

I do not find this type of problem in a quick Google search with the Nexus which I understand has been out longer with the same engine/cvt in Europe so it could be an oversight in the US translation of the service manual from something like "do not forget to lubricate" to "do not lubricate" the shaft.

Hope this works out as the final solution.

apriliaforum Junkie
    I certainly hope that solves the problem. I would like to think that the Mana would have a long lifespan. I would have preferred a belt final drive as well, although I doubt the cost of conversion is worthwhile for most riders.
    Previous rides:
    2009 Mana 850, 2005 K1200S, 2004 Multistrada,
    2002 R1100S (modified), 2003 R1150RT,2005 FJR1300,

My none GT 2008 picked up this problem earlier, i was slowing for a roundabout and got the red triangle and GEAR (but no gear mode displayed) It refused to start for 1/2 an hour and then would start but the engine seemed to be "revving" - it was moving itself with no throttle on...? for the last couple of months it has refused to start without side stand down, but now will only start with the stand up! nearest dealer is 70 miles away so have to try and get it down there next week (its actually due a major service next week was planning on riding it down!) i havent had any issues since buying it in november until today, it has been raining heavily for a while not sure if that could be related?
    2008 Red Mana, Cree LED running lights, SkidMarx Dark Grey Screen

So based on all this discussion, would you all recommend to avoid the 2009 Mana, buy the 2012 Mana, or just avoid the Mana altogether and get a BMW bike...? Thanks!

I say buy the cheaper, new, leftover.
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by vespa View Post
    So based on all this discussion, would you all recommend to avoid the 2009 Mana, buy the 2012 Mana, or just avoid the Mana altogether and get a BMW bike...? Thanks!
    An oversight in the English service manual on what to lube is what all this led to. Now that this is all sorted I would not have a problem getting the 2009 or the current model year. If the original poster continued to have a problem after they declared it fixed by lubricating the threaded shaft in his CVT this thread would not have died almost seven months ago.

You could send a PM to ApriliaWPNC and get his input on how things are going.

apriliaforum Member
    what's the bad luck...
    at first gas leak now shifting issue, but my MANA still less than 600mi....
    Time to cry....

apriliaforum prov-nov FlyCasual's Avatar

Can't believe this!

ok i just got "GEAR" on my screen, also with red warning light on. First time that i know about this, as I am the 3rd owner. Just got her this May.

1. 4400 miles on odometer
    2. happened about 30mins into my ride (side streets) at about 25-30mph
    3. It was 90℉ out yesterday but the Temp bar on dashboard was right in the middle.
    4. I'm stuck in 1st gear, anything around 40mph or higher, the yellow triangle comes on. (gear Mode button not working now)
    5. I have no ECU errors (active or memo)
    6. I have no DSB errors (active or memo)
    7. Only starts with kickstand up & will roll on its own at 4-5mph (not touching the throttle). Its up on front/rear stands.
    8. In settings, I enable handlebar controls to get into 2nd gear with the finger paddles - (didn't work) or the foot lever either.
    9.Tried again at midnight 6hrs later when its was cooler [80℉] to same results & this morning same thing
    10. Blipped the throttle as mentioned somewhere here, nothing changed.
    11. No drips or unusual smells, althought the white light that illuinates the License Plate is beyond hot to touch after 4-5 mins.
    12.my only mods are grip puppies, bar end mirrors, & a pigtail = All done in early May when I first got her.
    13. 2009 Mana non-GT - I doubt this is under warranty?

Is there anything else I can do?
    How much will this cost me out of pocket?

Sounds like the variator threads are jammed maybe. Some of the bikes left the factory with the threads un-greased, they jam.

If the bike is up on stands it will go bonkers if you try to rev it out as the ABS will probably get confused by the rear wheel turning and the front wheel not.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by pete roper View Post
    Sounds like the variator threads are jammed maybe. Some of the bikes left the factory with the threads un-greased, they jam.

If the bike is up on stands it will go bonkers if you try to rev it out as the ABS will probably get confused by the rear wheel turning and the front wheel not.

Pete

09 in the states means no ABS
    09 Mana
    03 Mille R
    Internally supercharged GS500
    and more

I thought all GT's had ABS?

Pete

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast