Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shifting problems with the Mana GT

apriliaforum prov-nov

Shifting problems with the Mana GT

I had talked about this in a previous thread but right now my Mana GT is in the shop for the third time in two months because of problems shifting. All three times the bike fails to shift after pulling away from a stop. There is no mode (Sport, Touring, Rain) showing on the screen, In the odometer area you see the word "GEAR". The mode selector switch does not work at all. There are no error codes showing in the screen either. If the kickstand is down the bike will not start or if it is running the bike will shut off when the kickstand is put down. The first time occured around approx. 29,000 miles while 4-5 hours into a trip. I tried turning the bike off to see if the computer would reset and it did not help. I also disconnected the battery which again did not help. I did get it to a dealer who turned out to be too busy to look at it. When I picked the bike up from the dealer a few days later the bike started and worked fine. There were no indications of any shifting problem. I took it to my local dealer who could not find anything wrong. The bike worked fine for another 1,000 miles at which point again 4-5 hours into a trip the CVT stopped shifting. This time however the problem did not go away. When I took it to the dealer they replaced some of the bushings in the CVT that they felt were getting worn. The idea being that the worn parts effected sensor operation in the CVT. This solved the problem at the time and the CVT seemed good to go. It worked for about 4300 miles anyway. On Monday afternoon after riding for about an hour I pulled out from a stop sign and once again the CVT failed to shift. Took the bike to the dealer yesterday morning where they and ApriliaUSA are trying to figure out how to fix it. Having the bike in the shop three times in two months with the same problem is getting to be rather frustrating to say the least. I will let everyone know what the fix is this time.

Yes, keep us posted. The CVT does concern me, (since I'm not very familiar with them) as far as durability, reliability, and longevity. A lot of basic functions of the bike rely on computers, which I feel can easily glitch, such as the bike not starting with the kickstand down. Luckily it will start with it up, but again, luckily. Computers have a mind of their own sometimes. Based on your previous posts I thought it was just a matter of replacing bushings every other belt change, but it looks like it may not be so simple. Good luck with it.

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650 ABS (current)
    1987 Harley Davidson Lowrider Sport (current)
    2009 Aprilia Mana
    2006 Suzuki SV 650
    1984 Yamaha Virago
    1975 Yamaha YZ80 - 1972 Honda Z50 - 1971 Honda QA50

While I have never experienced anything like this on my bike the dashboard strangeness sounds quite familiar. Some Guzzis do very odd things with their dashes when the speedo sensor gets wet. AFAIK the Mana's sensor is a similar Hall Effect sensor, it's simply in a different place. Had it been raining? Or had you recently washed the bike? If so I'd home in on the speedo sensor. Logic dictates that if the TCU and dash can't get a speed reading the TCU won't be able to trigger the variator servo to do its thing and everything will go to hell in a handbasket quite quickly!

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

Dear Apriliawpnc the mana is a bike that use advanced electronics to transfer his power to the road & not only. pc technology used to handle all driving procedures.
    as such, not all service man have the knowledge to handle her complex service.
    please call the cental usa aprilia agent & ask to name which dealer, near you, have these knowledge & the right tools for this case (axone, pc etc..)
    in the repair manual there are typical check & repair procedures.
    i suppose that all three time that your bike has visit the service has thorouly registered in her service book.
    at last in your country, you can use the help of the "lemon law".

because we are customers, this not mean that we will pay for all these not profesional peoples

& not, the pc is a "black box" that follow instructions from a program. haven't mind of their own. if the things goes wrong, somewhere there is a fault, hardware or software.
    Last edited by jpsplus; 08-10-2011 at 05:13 PM. Reason: correction

Any error codes stored or active in the dash that would be the first place to look.

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    My dealer is talking to Aprilia USA and they had wanted more details about when this was happening. I forgot to mention that it had been dry all three times, which is something that Aprilia USA had wanted to know. The fact that all three occured when starting from a stop and not while on the go was another question they had. There are also no error codes showing up either. I brought up to my dealer about it being under warrenty and how if this becomes too hard to fix to just replace the bike. He said while he has heard of this happening in the past he wasn't sure it would happen this time. Hope to learn more tomorrow.

NHMana
    Good luck, hope they get your bike resolved, I'm over 19,000 miles on mine, and if something like your bike issue comes up I hope someone has a fix. Keep us posted
    Last edited by NHMana; 08-12-2011 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Wasn't done and dam tiny buttons on a Itouch

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I talked with the mechanic that is working on my Mana late this afternoon. To be specific, they still have no idea what is causing the problem. He did take the CVT apart and on the front part there is a bronze shaft that was in bad shape with powder and filings around it. The shaft was also pitted. He (and Aprilia USA ) have no idea what is causing the issues with the shaft. They are going to replace the entire front part of the CVT and hope that it fixes the problem. Parts should come in by next Wednesday. As far as Aprilia USA knows I have more mileage on my Mana than anyone else in the country and this problem is new to them. My mechanic is also not sure that Aprilia USA is talking to anyone in Europe about this problem. I am guessing that there may be Europeans with Manas that have far more mileage on their bikes that what mine has. Comments anyone? I am lucky the bike is under warranty and this will be a very expensive repair the next time when it isn't. The main question I have right now is this a rare problem or something that will likely happen every 30,000 miles or so. I asked my mechanic this and of course no one knows the answer. Not sure I mentioned before but when the Mana doesn't shift you have a top speed of about 50MPH. No fun when the speed limit is 65 MPH, or you are a few hundred miles from home. In the 17 months I have owned my Mana GT I have put a bit over 34,000 miles on it and had the idea I would keep it for years to come. I am really having second thoughts about keeping it much longer. I really love the bike but don't need these kinds of problems. I am wondering how much testing was done on the CVT system before putting it on the market. Just very frustrating right now.

apriliaforum expert
    Gilera developed that engine and cvt somewhere around 2006 and first released it in their 2008 lineup which should have been in late 2007. It had its teeth cut for almost two years in the Gilera GP800 before it went into the Mana. Too bad Gilera does not bring the GP800 into the USA, The United Kingdom or Austrailia otherwise there would be more experience with that engine and control system here and potentially more documentation in English.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I picked up my Mana GT from the dealer yesterday and it now shifts fine after they replaced the entire front/forward section of the CVT. I asked the mechanic about how to avoid this next time and there are no good answers. To tear down the CVT every other belt change checking for worn parts will be expensive. Of course it is also expensive to get a rental car to get back home and to take time off from work to go get your bike if you do have this problem. I think a lot depends on how you use your Mana whether for just recreation or for daily commuting and any trips you really don’t need a car to make. Whether this is a rare problem of a frequent one remains to be seem. This won’t be answered until more people get 30K plus miles on their Mana’s.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I rode up to south NJ this past weekend to visit friends and had another episode of my Mana GT not wanting to shift. I was turning onto my friends street when this happened which is fortunately only a 25 MPH zone. This was the first time that this happened while on the move. All of the other times this happened when pulling out from a stop. The bike has had a bit over 1500 miles put on it since the entire front section of the CVT was replaced in an attempt to fix this problem. After the bike cooled down I turned it back on and the gear mode showed again and the bike worked fine. I rode back to NC yesterday with no problems. I was definitely worried every time I went to pull out of a rest stop or gas station. This is similar to the first time this problem showed up at 29K miles. I talked to my mechanic this morning who just happened to be talking with Aprilia tech support when I called. I also brought up the issue of the Mana GT automatically going into RAIN mode. I am wondering if there are any common issues between the RAIN mode problem and the not shifting problem. I have had three episodes of the bike switching into RAIN mode since the CVT was replaced. It is also interesting to note that after they replaced the front section of the CVT I have gotten better gas mileage with my Mana GT than I ever have. Will post when I learn what is next in the attempt to fix this problem.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I called Aprilia USA just before I purchased my 09 last month to voice concern about all of these GEAR issues folks are having. They assured me that their engineers have worked these issues out and that warrenty would cover any issues I might experiance.

Well wouldnt you know I stated getting some of these issues at just around 300 miles! I have a few posts in this forum on them, all of which seem to have been experienced by others so I'm getting great feedback and advice.

Let me say two things -- one, I'm sorry you are running into this issue, because if your like me you love the bike but are probably getting very uneasy in the trust department -- and two, APRILIA -- if you reading these posts can you see there are some real issues here and fix these flipping problems???? Do you put out anything to your dealers? I mean come on, whats going on with your Sport Gear System?

Maybe the bikes were sitting too long in the dealerships?

Ok, I feel better now. I just hope when its all said and done that I didn't make a mistake in buying this bike.

Wasn't the point of electronic shifting supposed to add to the riding experience, not take it away (with these issues)?

apriliaforum expert

Rain mode on its own with red lamp on

I had my Mana for the first time go to Rain mode and turn the red lamp on. I obviously wasn't happy but just pulled over for about 10 to check my voice mail and when I started the bike up all was good.

I think it is gremlins. Or the Mana is built upon Windows.

If it happens again I'll be even more disappointed but right now I'm riding on as if it never happened.

We shall see.
    Riding a 2010 Mana GT

apriliaforum prov-nov
    MJFDAF,
    You are correct, I love my Mana GT but I am also beginning to consider getting rid of it. Unfortunately for me Aprilia USA doesn’t know how to fix the “GEAR” problems especially the shifting problem. I called my dealer on Tuesday morning about the incident last weekend. The only thing that Aprilia USA could tell him was to keep them informed. If you can get the problem to go away Aprilia doesn’t see it as a problem at all. Now I have to wait until the bike won’t shift at all even after completely cooled off before I can get anything done with it. I am tired of being told I have more mileage than anyone they know of and that they have never seen these problems before. It’s great that Aprilia has a two year unlimited mileage warranty and so far these attempts at fixing the problem have been covered by it. But I would really prefer that the bike just didn’t have any problems and you never needed the warranty. On Monday I have to travel to Ft Meade, MD for work and will take my Mana GT. I am also hoping I don’t regret that decision. Being on the side of I-95 with a Mana that won’t go over 50 MPH and wondering how the heck I am going to get to Ft Meade without getting ran over is a very highly over rated experience. Been there, done that. The real test of how reliable the Mana is won’t happen until more people get higher mileage on them. My problems with not shifting started at just over 29K miles. I am very curious what happens with other Manas when they get that much mileage on them. Only then will we know if the issues I am having are a rare occurrence or if they are common. Only time will tell.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Thanks ApriliaWPNC,

I'm just north of you up in PA -- so you know our roads and driving conditions are similar; reliability from our Mana's needs to be a no brainer, not a guessing game.

I took the Mana out today for a 75 mile round trip and did not have one single issue -- she road like the bike is supposed to and it was a great trip.

I'm going to dive into the computer logs and see if I can dig anything up before giving my dealer call -- I'm taking the advise from one of the posts I read advising to document with the dealer and start a paper trail on the issue as early as possible.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast