Thread: Help - stalls on idle after oil change, amongst other things....

apriliaforum newb

Help - stalls on idle after oil change, amongst other things....

We have learned soooo much from this forum, thank you to the Mana guru’s. I really need help with this next issue. I have read through20+ forum pages, and in many place my problem has been touched upon, but itdoesn’t quite give me the fix to our problem….here it goes….

I have learned from the forum that I need to replace o-ringswith every oil change. I usually have one done through a motorcycleservice at the beginning of each riding season and then I do the rest (2 or3). I have a 2008 Mana 850. Bike fired and ran great after 5months in storage (winter). An oil change was done just a few hundred kmsbefore storing for the winter. Ran the bike approximately 200 km sincestorage and had no issues. I performed an oil change, ran the bike for about5-10 minutes, let it sit overnight, woke up the next morning and it wouldstart. It was not electrical. The oil level appeared low (so itappeared – I have now learned NOT to use the sight glass), I added oil and theengine fired. Drove approx.. 60 km and the “Service” and red warning cameon. I had about 15 km to home so I continued my route in stop and gotraffic to get the bike home, but as I slow, the chugged and spit almoststalling. If I kept the rpms up, no issue. Since home, and since readingthe many pages on the forum, I have ordered o-ring to replace and I removed oilbecause there is no reason why the bike should need almost 4 litres of oil,when I haven’t ever put more than 3 in. There are NO visible oilleaks.

While awaiting for o-rings (could take 2 weeks for me toget), I fire the bike up just to keep it all lubricated in case it’s an issueof the oil drainage, such as post #5 on this discussion:
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?306841-oil-change. I check the oil on the dipstick before each start, but today it wouldn’t start initially (last start 14 hours prior). Pushed the start button 3 or4 times, it eventually started but now won’t idle unless I increase therpms.

I really do not want to do any damage, unless it’s alreadydone, as I await on the new o-ring. Do you have any suggestions thatcould help with this diagnosis?

Second issue, my bike will no longer change in to Rain Mode?

I would greatly appreciate any advise you could provide!!

Several issues here.

Firstly, your oil change. Yes you should replace the O ring and the crush washer when changing the oil. I've done exactly as you have and changed the oil and serviced the bike ready for this year's riding after it has stood in my garage over the winter. I followed the same procedure as you and also had to add more oil after the first long run. As long as the site glass oil level is constant and close to the level mark then there is no real need to replace the O ring just for the sake of it. You should just use the dip stick to check oil level and ignore the site glass as it is just a fail safe indicator that allows diagnosis of other problems.

Like you, I have also had a glitch about starting and running second time out, but have no warnings or lights on the display. I believe that once the bike puts up a service warning, it will only start with the side stand up. When mine played up, I raised the side stand and it then ran OK, so I think my issue was a computer glitch. Turning the bike off and back on again should clear the problem, however, if it doesn't you can reset the computer by pulling out the master fuse (the bottom one of the two next to the battery). As you are servicing the bike yourself you should go into the diagnostics and clear down the codes to put the service warning out. This might also clear some of the other issues you seem to be experiencing. If the service warning comes back then make a note of the codes and look up what they mean so you can deal with any issues. Resetting the computer might also clear the glitch on rain mode.

Rough running has been covered elsewhere on the forum and one cause is the Lambda sensor malfunctioning. If the Lambda heater has failed the computer will put up a code and the service warnings, however, if the actual sensor is malfunctioning or blocked the bike just runs rough at low RPMs. One possible cause of a malfunctioning Lambda sensor is over filling with oil, but the the bike would issue blue smoke if you really overdid it.
    2009 Mana GT ABS; Andreani fork cartridges with uprated springs; Dorsoduro hand guards and heated grips; 30mm handlebar risers; Digital tachograph: Modified woodcraft folding brake pedal; R&G frame sliders

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks for the quick reply; after removing about half a litre of oil; I believe this issue was adding to much oil to the engine. I did I diagnostic and on the dasboard the codes were 7, and 8? I did a reset. I started the bike again and the service light came on again as it stalled. I went into diagnostic and no other codes were active or saved. I checked the oil and removed another cup. I did a master reset. After that the bike ran ok with no other issue regarding the stalling at low idle. Can someone tell me what codes 7 and 8 are about? Also I still have issues with the bike not going into rain mode. When I went into the diagnostic pages I clicekd the update; I shut the power off. As I turned the key it was in rain mode. I ran the bike in rain mode for several km's. I stopped and put into touring mode. I cannot get back into rain mode unless I go into the update page. The bike will run only in sport and or touring?

Had a quick look in my service manual and codes 7 and 8 look like the oil pressure sensor. I'm sure I've seen comments about this before on here so worth doing a search to see what others have said.
    2009 Mana GT ABS; Andreani fork cartridges with uprated springs; Dorsoduro hand guards and heated grips; 30mm handlebar risers; Digital tachograph: Modified woodcraft folding brake pedal; R&G frame sliders