Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tuono Oil Change Pictorial (by Holeshot and NeverlosT)

Tuono Oil Change Pictorial (by Holeshot and NeverlosT)

Ok, adding my own pics hosted on AF1 with guidance from Holeshot's original thread and some of my own additions.... (I hope it is OK with you Holeshot )

First things first, the area of interest:

You will need 4 quarts of synthetic oil 10W50 or 15W50, a cartridge filter, and maybe a couple of o-rings, depending on their condition (mine have looked good for a while now).

Put the side panel in the service position by removing the 4mm allen screw, loosening the pivot 4mm allen and using a 12mm wrench to loosen the extension bar as seen here:

Remove the lower fairing. One 4mm allen screw on each side and one front and center.

Here are the steps to change the oil:

1. ) Remove the oil tank drain bolt using a 10mm socket (it is the little silver bolt in the picture below on the bottom of the oil tank, Inspect/replace crush washer)

2.) Cut the factory clamp where the line goes to the oil tank screen (Replace with a hose clamp), disconnect lower end of hose to drain oil from it.

3.) Use a 27mm socket to remove the oil pump screen. Clean with brake cleaner. (Inspect O-Ring)

4.) Remove the oil filter drain plug using a 6mm allen socket (it can be tough to loosen, mine usually is).

5.) Remove the two 5mm allen screws holding the filter cover (Inspect O-ring, clean filter cover).

Remove the filter and inspect the housing, replace the filter and reassemble everything.

NOTE: There are TWO SIZES of oil filters. 2.75 inch and 3.75 inch. If your oil filter cover looks like mine in the pics, then you need a 2.75 inch cover. If it looks like it bulges out considerably more, then you need the 3.75 inch filter.

Fill with 3.25 quarts, no more, no less. Then start bike and let idle for 1 minute. Top off oil tank, using a total of roughly 3.75 quarts.

Put it back together and go for a test ride of 5 to 10 miles. Shut off bike, wait 1 minute and recheck oil level. Adjust if needed.

Addition from member HS2300:
    "Guys, just to add something that has not been mentioned in this "How to" thread, and this is something I do and probably not considered needed by many people, but I always pull the clutch lever in and tie it to the bars to keep the clutch plates separated before and during the drain down procedure. I do this on all wet clutch motorcycles to allow the old dirty oil to drain from plates"

Also, from ChattyTuono and Mototard:
    If you're a stickler for torque values like I am, Here they are from the manual (I haven't seen them posted here yet):
    Oil tank drain plug: 15 N*m/ 11 ft*lbs
    Oil tank screen tube: 30 N*m/ 22 ft*lbs
    Oil filter drain plug: 12 N*m/ 9 ft*lbs
    Oil filter cover bolts: 11 N*m
    Last edited by NeverlosT; 08-30-2015 at 08:48 PM.
    It is my first twin, and I'm never going back.

There is no need to wait one minute to check the oil. Shut it off and check it. Easier yet, just check it with the engine idling.

I watched the oil level while my bike was idling after adding the 3.25 qts and it was still falling in the oil view tube after 20 seconds idling, so I would say it is not a bad idea to let it idle for 1 minute before you determine how much more oil you must add.

You can't really check the oil level with any accuracy till the engine and oil tank are fully up to operating temperature. Get into the habit of checking and topping up after a ride.

Well done Neverlost, thanks!!
    2008 Tuono, Ohlins rear, Akra Hex cans, Map 2, 15T, CRG Levers, Rhino Moto Sliders, Ermax Screen, OZ Wheels, Sargent Seat

apriliaforum prov-nov killroy134's Avatar
    Nice guide!

apriliaforum expert Ape Man 2007's Avatar
    You missed the procedure / pictures on how to put it back together!

Thanks for the info.

Life's to Short, Don't WASTE it.

Let's HELP SAVE the Planet - RECYCLE

----------------------------------------

New RSV4 Factory (coming soon - I hope )
    '07 RSVR (Mods on-going)
    '99 SV650S (SOLD)
    '87 Yamaha RS100 (first bike) - GONE !

apriliaforum prov-nov

Thanks

Thanks NL for the great pictorial, I just finished my first oil change, piece 'o cake. Except the oil tank screen was NOT coming off, so I bagged it and did everything else (including swapping the oil line clamp). Using Mobil1 20-50 MC oil for those keeping score, and it took exactly 3.75 qts to bring the oil level line to just above mid-point. Test Ride! :-)
    Scott

Thanks NL.
    ---------------------
    2008 Tuono

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I went out for a quick 9-mile loop afterward, twisties and straights - H*ly F-N Sh#t - The Mobil 1 makes a HUGE difference in shifting! Snick-snick, up-down. Absolutely a total change ('07 w/5000mi). The motor seems to spin freer as well (Iknow, imagination and all that). I've been a user of Mobil 1 for 25 years in cars and other bikes, this is my first use of the MC-specific 20-50 - Sold.
    So - for those with many more miles and oil changes, how often do you change you oil ?
    The manual says 6K mi, I find that hard to believe. I'd just like to get a perspective of what everyone usually does.
    TIA,
    Scott

Good write, NeverLost. Although, I think my bike may be a bit retarded. (probably me, but we'll save that for later discussion. ) I've changed the oil in it 6 times, drained it til it quits dripping, drained the filter cavity, leaned it over a bit to make sure, but I cannot get it to hold more than 3 quarts. Baffles me that you lot are getting 3.75 into it. I fill the tank until it is threatening to spill, then start it up. The oil level goes down to mid-way once she is warmed up, then never goes any lower. Maybe my screen is in need of replacement, as I have yet to do that, but I don't see where that would make it hold less oil. Any ideas?
    07 Tuono
    04 Honda 599
    04 Suzuki Z-400

Quote Originally Posted by ZutAlors View Post
    Praise the lawd and pass the ammunition?

hmmm, and you are remembering to remove: A. the little bolt on the bottom of the black oil reservoir, B. The oil screen hose, C. The oil filter drain plug, and D. The filter cap? That is weird!

Scott, I ride pretty actively and change my oil probably once every 2K miles or after a track day or before the winter.

I haven't taken the screen hose out, but all the others I have done. I don't imagine that part of the system holds an entire quart, but I'll pull it next time I change oil, and see what happens.
    07 Tuono
    04 Honda 599
    04 Suzuki Z-400

Quote Originally Posted by ZutAlors View Post
    Praise the lawd and pass the ammunition?

Quote Originally Posted by NeverlosT View Post
    4.) Remove the oil filter drain plug using a 6mm allen socket (it can be tough to loosen, mine usually is).
    I use to put a copper washer under that plug, it makes easyest the removal!
    ECU tuning and reflashes since 2004!
    www.gabroracingteam.it

Visit my FB page and like it!
    https://www.facebook.com/gabroracingteam

FWIW I used this thread to change my oil yesterday for the second time, LIKE A BOSS.

Works great. Thanks again to all the great folks here on the Forum.

I went with Motul 300V 15W30. For whatever reason I have no issues finding neutral this time, unlike after the last oil change (with the same oil).
    '05 Tuono
    '04 RSVR
    '07 Monster 695
    '98 Ducati 916

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast