Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Mana Horn Cuts Out My Gears!

apriliaforum newb

Help! Mana Horn Cuts Out My Gears!

Has anyone ever experienced this issue? I own two Manas. One is a 2010 GT and one is a 2009 standard ( my wife's ). When running down the road at average cruising speed, and I apply the horn, about 20% of the time, the gears will disengage. The screen showing the gear or drive mode goes blank, and the warning light will start blinking. The bike slows down pretty radically, almost as though the brakes are activated. This will happen for about two seconds, and then the bike will resume in the last gear or drive mode it was in and it will show on the screen again. Both bikes do it, so I know it is not an isolated incident or issue with a particular bike. If you disable the horn by removing the wires, the button will not create the problem if pushed. My thought is that the horn is drawing too many amps, and causing the computer to shut down, but like i said, it only does it about 20% of the time you activate the horn. Electrical gurus out there....I need your help!

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Fuckin' weird. I never use the horn BUT, will have to try this now.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah / AF1 Racing View Post
    Fuckin' weird. I never use the horn BUT, will have to try this now.
    Let me know what you find. Be a little persistent and keep trying short bursts or double honks until you feel the motor drop out from under you, and the red triangle warning light starts flashing. I called my local dealer today, and they had not ever seen this issue. He also said he would hook the bike up to the computer to try to analyze the problem, but he was going to charge me to analyze it. I figured it should be a warranty issue, but he wants $45.00 to just plug the darned thing in.

apriliaforum newb
    By the way, do any of your Manas moo when they are not running? My new GT makes a mooing sound every 3 minutes or so. Obviously a vaccum releasing somewhere, but my wife's bike is silent. Sounds like it may be coming from around the front cylinder or the airbox.

apriliaforum Junkie SilverFoxUno's Avatar
    In looking at the wiring diagram, it may be something in your left switch pack. There is a "reset" between two wires that could be shorting with the horn somehow. Just a thought.
    Jim
    "That's not flying...that's falling with style!"

2008 NA850 Mana
    2003 VFR800 Intercepter

apriliaforum Junkie
    Has the horn been replaced with an aftermarket unit ?
    Previous rides:
    2009 Mana 850, 2005 K1200S, 2004 Multistrada,
    2002 R1100S (modified), 2003 R1150RT,2005 FJR1300,

I moo all the time!!! At first I thought it was the fuel tank but after closer listening it does appear to be somewhere in the front of the bike... Sometimes it does it when you first touch it and move it, sometimes it just does it on its own...

Tough to figure out what the heck it is!!!
    Oscar Wilde: "I don't want to go to Heaven; none of my friends are there."

2010 Black Mana GT
    RSV4 Factory OZ wheels, RSV4 Sachs adjustable Forks, RSV4 brembo 100mm monobloc brakes, RSV4 Factory Rotors, Pilot Road 2 Spec B tires, HyperPro Lowered Suspension, Leo Vince Exhaust, HID Hi/Lo lights,Carbon Front Fender, Carbon LED mirrors, Carbon Heel-guards, cut rear tail, DD Aluminum brake lever, Frame Sliders, Puig Chin Fairing, Rear Hugger, Kaoko Throttle Lock, MFW adjustable footpegs, Custom Painted Wheels/Rotors/Brakes Valentine One Radar, voltmeter, Tach, removed evap can, and lots o decals

The "Moo" is caused by the one way valves used in the evap system, remove them and the evap system and run normal 1990's style vent hoses and it goes away.

Wish you were closer, I/we would NEVER charge a diagnostic fee on a safety related issue WHILE IN WARRANTY. This sounds like a safety issue to me!

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

apriliaforum prov-nov

Mooing Sound

Since I removed the canister I get a mooing sound. Or more like a dying calf. I believe that it is the expanding air in the tank being released through the release valve. It is more pronounced when the sun hits the tank.

If you take out the one way release valve(s) the noise will stop.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

The horn issue is very odd and I'd suggest it is probably a short in the switchblock but since unplugging the horn seems to cure it that doesn't stack up.

The 'Mooing' is almost certainlt tank pressure related on both of mine I sorted this by the simple expedient of making a slit in the fuel cap gasket to allow the tank to breathe easily.

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFoxUno View Post
    In looking at the wiring diagram, it may be something in your left switch pack. There is a "reset" between two wires that could be shorting with the horn somehow. Just a thought.
    That is what the guys at AF1 were thinking. Maybe time for a recall?

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoRider View Post
    Has the horn been replaced with an aftermarket unit ?
    Both bikes are dead stock. I tried reversing the wires, swapping horns etc. to no avail.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah / AF1 Racing View Post
    The "Moo" is caused by the one way valves used in the evap system, remove them and the evap system and run normal 1990's style vent hoses and it goes away.

Wish you were closer, I/we would NEVER charge a diagnostic fee on a safety related issue WHILE IN WARRANTY. This sounds like a safety issue to me!
    Where are the release valves located? I also have a California emissions canister on the bike.

If they are the same as my bike in Oz the vent valve is under the mudguard/pointy bit at the back of the bike but Oz bikes don't have the carbon canister so they may be somewhere completely different on models that do. Most likely so as the hoses to the canister come out at the front right of the engine to the hideously positioned canister.

Ugly it certainly is but I can't see it when I'm riding so it doesn't worry me.

The sudden slowing down is almost certainly caused by the engine shutting down. Sounds to me like when you hit the horn is causes some form of voltage fluctuation that causes the Dash or ECU to simply turn everything off! I know on Guzzis that the Digitek dashes recognise low voltage on start up and will kill everything if the voltage drops below a certain level (9.5V? Can't remember offhand.) This commnly occurs when the starter is pressed and there is a big current draw from the starter motor. After the 4 second starting cycle the system will re-boot, the dash will go through its song and dance and you're back to square one.

The horn shouldn't be drawing anywhere near enough current to cause that sort of problem but if the earths are poor it might reach a critical point. I would certainly suggest checking and cleaning the battery terminals and the earth strap where it bolts to the engine or frame. It also has beenfound on a few bikes I believe that the feed from the alternator or the reg/rec, (Sorry, can't remember which.) is sometimes a bit iffy so that also might be worth looking at just for shit and giggles.

As Ed says though if the motor is dying it IS a safety issue but its weird that it happens with both your bikes because if it was a common complaint I'm sure we would of heard about it before now????

Pete
    Last edited by pete roper; 07-07-2011 at 12:30 PM.
    Professional Goat Burster.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast