Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help! Mana Horn Cuts Out My Gears!

apriliaforum Junkie SilverSurfer79's Avatar
    I was riding mine today. Honked the horn in all modes and in dry as well as wet conditions. Nothing. Works perfectly, guess Im one of the lucky ones. Strange
    2009 Aprilia Mana 850 - Removed EVAP canister, installed additional Fiaam horn, Replaced air box with cone filter/silicone tubes, Leo Vince Titanium slip on muffler, Black Jet Hot coated exhaust pipes, installed LED indicators, LED license plate light, LED compartment light and, LED ignition headlight bulb, Replaced battery with capacitor pack/LiFePO battery, Replaced front forks with RSV4R, Sachs shocks and Brembo 100mm monoblock calipers, Powdercoated wheels black. Custom paint.

Glad yours is OK

Well, it's not a huge deal to me, but it seems clear that the bike is sometimes (10%-20% of the time) sensing a problem with the transmission (GEAR + red light) when the horn button is pushed, and then rethinks and finds nothing wrong. I'm going to try holding down the horn and see if that extends the shutdown period. I doubt it will.

The horn does not cause shut down when the bike is just idling on the sidestand.

I tried to PM Many Mana to see what he has learned, but no reply. Does anyone have contact information for him or know the local dealer he's working with?
    James
    2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 R (Nero Diablo) Woodcraft frame sliders, Rhino-Moto axle and swingarm sliders, Akrapovic slip-ons (with free-flow cats), Map2 (thank you, AF1), 15T (stock was 16T)/40T (stock), MPL-Tuningparts clutch slave cylinder, CRG Arrow bar-end mirrors on Rhino-Moto bar-ends, Puig windscreen, and standard length Pazzo clutch/brake levers (bright blue with black adjusters).
    2011 Honda CBR250RA (Metallic Black) R&G frame sliders, Rhino-Moto axle and swingarm sliders, passenger seat cowl, passenger pegs replaced with R&G exhaust hanger and cover plate, and CRG Arrow bar-end mirrors on Motovation bar-ends.
    Previous motorcycles: 2011 Suzuki TU250 & 2011 Aprilia Mana 850 GT ABS

Further information

I checked this problem in all gear modes: auto/rain, auto/touring, auto/sport, and sport gear. The same behavior in all modes.

Other than this and the brake light problem posted in another thread, this is a FANTASTIC motorcycle. I could not have chosen a better machine. And I'll get these two issues sorted soon.
    James
    2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 R (Nero Diablo) Woodcraft frame sliders, Rhino-Moto axle and swingarm sliders, Akrapovic slip-ons (with free-flow cats), Map2 (thank you, AF1), 15T (stock was 16T)/40T (stock), MPL-Tuningparts clutch slave cylinder, CRG Arrow bar-end mirrors on Rhino-Moto bar-ends, Puig windscreen, and standard length Pazzo clutch/brake levers (bright blue with black adjusters).
    2011 Honda CBR250RA (Metallic Black) R&G frame sliders, Rhino-Moto axle and swingarm sliders, passenger seat cowl, passenger pegs replaced with R&G exhaust hanger and cover plate, and CRG Arrow bar-end mirrors on Motovation bar-ends.

Quote Originally Posted by pete roper View Post
    The horn issue is very odd and I'd suggest it is probably a short in the switchblock but since unplugging the horn seems to cure it that doesn't stack up.

The 'Mooing' is almost certainlt tank pressure related on both of mine I sorted this by the simple expedient of making a slit in the fuel cap gasket to allow the tank to breathe easily.

Pete
    Yes, and your simple expedient slit in the fuel cap gasket means that everytime I fill up then head up into the twisty bits in mountains, which is the only place I ride your mana, it belches out the first half gallon of gas.... I will remedy this for you at no charge my friend. The mana is getting a good work over as I its been really hot, so I come home and go through the various bits and assure all is well. Bren and I are heading for Mexico for several days, so if we get kilt, well, I've told the gloomie folks where the title is. BTW, there was fairly significant brake rotor runout ~.008 on one and .006 on the other, but a good cleaning of the buttons has significantly reduced the pulsing. It does make an unusual sound when braking though, has from the first day, dont know if this is the ABS or the tire selection, but it is a bit odd. Suspension is improved with a shim and different oil and I see no need for further modifications on your bike. it is quite fun and no problems. a drunk at the instant replay was checking it out, asked what kind of motor it had, I told him quite frankly that it was the first of the hydrogen powered motorbikes and I was a beta test rider for the factory, he thought that was really cool, but did not have enough money to buy me a beer, even though he thought I was important. I even told him when they release these to the public, I could get him one at dealer cost..... Mana's and drunks go together like cookies and milk..
    Cheers bud,

apriliaforum Junkie SilverFoxUno's Avatar
    The following is specific to the horn causing the engine to cut out:

If I have noted correctly, the few bikes that have experienced this issue have been GT's - am I correct? Have any naked Manas also had this issue?
    Jim
    "That's not flying...that's falling with style!"

2008 NA850 Mana
    2003 VFR800 Intercepter

2009 standard

No, Many Mana has a 2009 standard with the issue. Honk if you want to stall.
    James

apriliaforum Junkie SilverFoxUno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaldridge View Post
    Thanks - Never mind then...
    Jim
    "That's not flying...that's falling with style!"

2008 NA850 Mana
    2003 VFR800 Intercepter

Quote Originally Posted by jaldridge View Post
    at first sorry for my english.
    a. little basic. as i saw in wiring diagram, horn button has a direct coupling to fuse named "A" rared 15A. on the same line 'loaded" the front & rear brake switch, the pin 1 of dushborad, the pin b1 of transmission control, the rear lights, the start proscedure via front brake & others.
    the problem haven't to do with "clear" short circuit because the fuse A remain "alive", so we must find the point that produce the problem.
    i thought a series of checks that we must doing for that.

riders with more technical experiance, as Pete & Micah, can help to improve these checks.

unfortunatly i haven't this problem so please follow this procedure.
    1) please replace the horn with an aftermarket, to see if the horn is the problem. i am sure that your mechanic have a spare horn without problem.
    2) install a second button on your bike with a line directly from + of battery on one side & the other side to the + of your horn.
    so we can see if the wire until the horn have the problem.
    3) replace the negative wire of horn. make a direct connection from horn to nagative pole of your battery.
    so we can see if the wire from horn to "-" have the problem.

with these simple test you will find if there is a short circuit or dirty link.

i am afraid that if the problem produced from a faulty magnetic field or pulses, during the honking, as there are at least 3 processors on bike, we will need the help of more complex tests, that only ..........."mama aprilia" can do.

maybe, simply the "can line" haven't clear ground point, & insert any dirty pulses into the communication line.

Quote Originally Posted by FGO View Post
    Yes, and your simple expedient slit in the fuel cap gasket means that everytime I fill up then head up into the twisty bits in mountains, which is the only place I ride your mana, it belches out the first half gallon of gas.... I will remedy this for you at no charge my friend. The mana is getting a good work over as I its been really hot, so I come home and go through the various bits and assure all is well. Bren and I are heading for Mexico for several days, so if we get kilt, well, I've told the gloomie folks where the title is. BTW, there was fairly significant brake rotor runout ~.008 on one and .006 on the other, but a good cleaning of the buttons has significantly reduced the pulsing. It does make an unusual sound when braking though, has from the first day, dont know if this is the ABS or the tire selection, but it is a bit odd. Suspension is improved with a shim and different oil and I see no need for further modifications on your bike. it is quite fun and no problems. a drunk at the instant replay was checking it out, asked what kind of motor it had, I told him quite frankly that it was the first of the hydrogen powered motorbikes and I was a beta test rider for the factory, he thought that was really cool, but did not have enough money to buy me a beer, even though he thought I was important. I even told him when they release these to the public, I could get him one at dealer cost..... Mana's and drunks go together like cookies and milk..
    Cheers bud,
    Outstanding!!! Dunno why you're having a problem with the gas slopping out. Never happened to me but I probably wasn't trying to crash it like you do

Have fun in Mexico!!!

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

Thanks, jpsplus

Those are good starting places; I will try them out to see if I can narrow this down to a computer glitch caused by the horn activation. Otherwise I may have to get one of those rubber bulb clown horns; it'd be as good as the stock Mana horn anyway, and I know it wouldn't stall the engine!

Your English is a LOT better than my Greek!

Thank you.
    James

Quote Originally Posted by pete roper View Post
    Outstanding!!! Dunno why you're having a problem with the gas slopping out. Never happened to me but I probably wasn't trying to crash it like you do

Have fun in Mexico!!!

Pete
    Pete,
    Mexico was fantastic, Bren had a great time... As for the slopping gas, you are correct, first, all I ride is quick twisty bits, and I dont try to crash, but it being your bike, well, you know, it's not quite as important. Doing the next step on the front suspension then stopping, it is a great bike, want an Eldo in trade?

apriliaforum newb
    I tried to PM Many Mana to see what he has learned, but no reply. Does anyone have contact information for him or know the local dealer he's working with?[/QUOTE]

I am glad to hear that others are experiencing the problem. At least I know I am not crazy.....well, maybe a little. Anyway, I have given up on trying to address the issue since my local dealer wants to charge me $45.00-$190.00 to look at the brand new bike they sold me. They say it is not a warranty issue until they can prove I am not insane and imagining things. That ticked me off, so I figured I would wait until others could confirm the issue. I still won't go in to the dealer if they want to charge me to fix a clearly inherent fault with the two Manas we own. I will just wait until someone gets killed and then get in on the class action law suit. Are you listening Aprilia USA?

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Many Mana View Post
    I tried to PM Many Mana to see what he has learned, but no reply. Does anyone have contact information for him or know the local dealer he's working with?
    I am glad to hear that others are experiencing the problem. At least I know I am not crazy.....well, maybe a little. Anyway, I have given up on trying to address the issue since my local dealer wants to charge me $45.00-$190.00 to look at the brand new bike they sold me. They say it is not a warranty issue until they can prove I am not insane and imagining things. That ticked me off, so I figured I would wait until others could confirm the issue. I still won't go in to the dealer if they want to charge me to fix a clearly inherent fault with the two Manas we own. I will just wait until someone gets killed and then get in on the class action law suit. Are you listening Aprilia USA?[/QUOTE]
    My 2010 started this cut out nonsense with the horn last year ,I don't think I had warning lights or dash display but couldn't say for sure.I only ever ride in the warm and dry.It doesn't do it this year so I am leaving it alone (If it ain't broke don't fix it.)The moo while at rest, happens ,it's just letting you know it's still there and wants to be taken out .
    Be Safe.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123