Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Peg rebuild

Blue Peg rebuild

Hello all, first time posting after several years of lurking.

As with many of you, it has been almost 20 years since the last time I owned a motorcycle. Even so, my enthusiasm for them runs deep.

I started riding at 14 in the fields and trails of Southern New Jersey on a 1975 Yamaha DT125. It was my first bike and first true “dual sport”. After years of adventures, and more than a few epic failures on the DT, it was clear that my riding had taken a turn towards the more “sporting” end of the spectrum. This was not helped by the fact that I spent three summers in Southern Europe where I was exposed to, and participated in, the local motorcycle culture. For a kid from the American “suburban strip mall sprawl”, it was awesome. Naturally, I came back to the States addicted to the machinery, the style and ethos of the Europeans. I also returned with stacks of dog-eared motorcycle magazines from which I studied the intricacies of Grand Prix roadracing, Rally Raids, the Isle of Man TT and Joe Bar Team comics.

Of course, my little brother and I set out to emulate our motorcycling heros. My DT got the café racer treatment, complete with “clubman bars” made from inverting a set of old beach cruiser bicycle bars, and I was off to set fastest lap around the neighborhood.

Those were also the years of Ducati’s roadracing resurgence in AMA. Inspired, I went looking for my own bit of Italian exotica. Since I could never afford to buy Doug Polen’s 888 or import the Cagiva Freccia that I wanted with every fiber of my being, I bought a neglected mid-eighties Cagiva WMX125 motocross bike and we nursed it back to fighting form. It was our first exposure to Eraldo Ferracci and Italian price$. But it was pretty, rare, red and very fast. The DT was quickly relegated to the back of the shed.

Sadly, a few years later the Cagiva’s bottom end would let go at WFO… and it shot bits of bearing up through the transfer ports and nuked the whole motor. That was my first exposure to a big lump of melted unobtanium. Yes, other bikes would come and go… a Honda CR125, a Suzuki GSF 400 Bandit and even a Suzuki GSXR-750. But then came grad school, and a mortgage, and then kids.

Needless to say, I miss my motorcycles.

Then two years ago, my brother called me up and dragged me out on a motorcycle ride. Being from the same childhood home, he suffers from many of the same mental defects that I do. So, naturally, he has an Aprilia Pegaso Cube. He threw me the keys and lead me on a brisk day-long loop of mixed tarmac and gravel roads. It was brilliant. It all came back… just like riding a bike. I was addicted again.

I could not have completed the Cagiva build without my brother’s help and would never consider looking at a used bike without him. He’s one of those natural born mechanics and, thankfully, still is very handy with a spanner. So, this past December we headed out to look at a Peg for me.

The shots below are from the freezing cold day we dragged it back to his garage. I do mean dragged, because the rear wheel was slightly cocked in the swingarm and the wheel bearings very hesitant to turn. Yes, it is Italian and in need of some attention. Scary words, indeed. But it is also a beautiful link to those "days gone by" when I was still young and hanging out in Europe, impressed at all the racer replicas and over-the-top Dakar inspired trailies that seemed to litter Europe’s streets. In a sense the Peg is part DT125, part Cagiva, and buying it has been like getting a little piece of me back.

I will chronicle the rebuild on this thread and on ADVRider. Enjoy.
    ¡Ráfagas!

As it sat at the previous owner's house... Uuuugghh...

Last edited by '74Stratos; 06-21-2011 at 11:07 AM.

After a few months waiting for the weather to break, my brother (Andysrage on this forum) and I stripped down the Peg for some cleaning and trouble shooting.

Andysrage doesn't mess around when it comes to a detailed cleaning and tune-up.
    Last edited by '74Stratos; 05-01-2017 at 01:37 PM.

Next, the suspect rear wheel received a good cleaning and the seized bearings were ditched in favor of new higher spec SKF's in the hub and carrier. A new rear sprocket is also bolted on. Tire is clean but needs replacement...

Sloppy swingarm and linkage needle bearings are removed, cleaned and repacked with high temp grease...

Ditched the old shock and replaced with remotely adjustable Sachs unit from AF1...

Last edited by '74Stratos; 05-01-2017 at 01:38 PM.

apriliaforum newb
    wow! keep them coming!

Andysrage and I got together over the Fourth of July weekend to make some progress on the Peg.

First, the front hub bearings were changed and the rim was washed with aluminum cleaner...

... then spoke tightness was checked, and rim balanced for weight...

... the head was removed from the motor and, despite some carbon build-up, everything looks ok from here...

... the intake valves start to come out for a good cleaning...

... intakes look pretty good...

... the two exhaust valves have two springs each...

... as expected, the exhausts look good but have some build up on the faces and valve seats. It is 15k miles of use, after all...

... comparing intake to exhaust...

... it helps to stay organized...

... which brings us to the head sans valves, pre-cleaning...

... then we moved on to the forks. We were unsure when the prior owner had serviced them last, so apart they came. The existing fork oil was probably in the 5 to 10 weight range. Since I plan on doing plenty of two up riding with the wife, we decided for a blend of 15 and 5, for a net result of about 13 weight...

... observe progressive wound stock spring as it comes out...

... the fluid was pretty clean with some mild contamination...

... the seven internal fork parts and the small screw that we used to hold the internal damper rod on rebuild. Don't lose the two small semi-circle keys that hold it all together! The fork leg to the right of the picture is from an unrelated Andysrage project...
    Last edited by '74Stratos; 04-05-2013 at 10:24 PM.

... on to the second fork leg, which we double checked for oil height against the first one. Then Andysrage noted that one of the black plastic spring locators had a dull marking showing the correct oil measure, 140mm from the top...

... the screw in action on rebuild...

... make note of the semi-circle keys, back in place...

Last edited by '74Stratos; 05-01-2017 at 01:39 PM.

... the fork legs were then slipped into the triple clamps and the bolts were coated in anti-seize and lightly snugged up prior to using the torque wrench. Andysrage suggested 16 ft/lbs on each of the bolts, as the suggested torque in the service manual is frequently cited as being too high, often causing stripped triple clamp threads...

... a quick a test fit...

... and she's finally starting to look like a bike again. Rolls nice and smooth too! Thanks for following our build, next update in two weeks. ¡Ráfagas!

Last edited by '74Stratos; 04-05-2013 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Fixed bad pix links

You're doing a great job
    compliments !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBSkX...layer_embedded
    Pegaso 650 - 39150 km at 200.000 km
    Data la causa la natura opera l'effetto nel più breve tempo che operar si possa.
    Leonardo da Vinci.

Very thorough keep up the good work
    *1995 Aprilia Pegaso 650. Hagon Shock, Arrow Stainless Can, Highlow Air & Oil Filter, Ngk Iridium spark plug, Givi Backbox, Michelin Anakee tyres. *2004 Suzuki Sv1000s (too many mods to list)*

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast