Thread: How low can you go?

apriliaforum Junkie

How low can you go?

I've been wanting to drop the front end of my scoot for a while and finally got around to doing it today. I remember reading a thread, but can't find it now about pulling the shocks and removing a metal stop inside the top of the shock mount. then you can slide the shocks up through the mount and set a different height. So i did this and it worked great and lowered the front end 15mm. Just wanting to know if anybody else has gone farther than this and how does it effect drive ability. I noticed no change with the 15mm but does look a lot nicer.
    06 Sr50 factory R \Morini/ HGT Derestriction 2 8 0
    Mallossi Multivar 2000\7gram rollers/ White contra spring
    custom made leo vince zx/s exhaust / 3*Woodruff key/ Water trap installed /tail tidy/ 3 inch stretch/adjustable riser/aprilia side stand/BGM hard case pod filter/K/N Tranny cover pod/

apriliaforum Junkie
    No change in ride. I know HG's SR 70 turbo is dropped just not sure how much? Maybe this is were i remember this thread from.
    custom made leo vince zx/s exhaust / 3*Woodruff key/ Water trap installed /tail tidy/ 3 inch stretch/adjustable riser/aprilia side stand/BGM hard case pod filter/K/N Tranny cover pod/

So the only thing keeping the tubes in place is friction if you drop?
    There's gotta be a maximum drop before bottoming out often during a normal ride, right?

apriliaforum Junkie
    From what i measured on my bike today it can only go down another 15/maybe 20mm more. I'm just going to drop it down tomorrow and see how it rides. I don't think even dropping it 35mm total you would not come close to bottoming out, theirs still lots of clearance.

I've got some searching to do now.

If you can get some pics up ABBYrider.
    2009 SR50 Factory - 49cc Piaggio Engine

Engine:
    ECU derestricted (unknown map)
    AGIP City 2t oil
    +3 key
    NGK 7411 spark plug (CPR8E) .035"
    Husky W/T
    BGM PRO Evo 23mm intake manifold
    Marchald Filter
    Malossi VL13 reed
    HGT fuel reg. (~130psi)

Transmission:
    Malossi Multivar 2000
    6.25 gr Dr. Pulley sliders
    LV red clutch springs
    Malossi green contrast spring

Exhaust:
    LeoVince ZX-R

220lb rider
    58mph not tucked
    65mph tucked
    both on flats

F/S : I have a new set of 5.0 gram sliders;

There's a limit to headlight aiming, so you might wanna take that into consideration.
    I had this problem when I installed a 150/70-13 rear tire.
    ...and make sure to test over rough roads, bumps, and potholes safely, of course.

apriliaforum Junkie
    The headlights should be okay, i've dropped the back end down a lot to so this should compensate for the front end. I'm going to teach my daughter to ride and the height of my old setup was stopping her from trying. The back end i simply removed my shock riser and with the stretch in it has dropped it 40mm lower than factory ride height. It's defiantly a low rider now. Still lots of clearance everywhere though.

apriliaforum Junkie
    How low you can go is a function of available suspension travel, and spring rates. I dont think there is a solid number.

Ideally as you go lower, you increase the spring rate and/or compression damping of the shock to prevent bottoming out.

Bottoming out means your shock went from say 50ftlb-in to infinity, and all that energy has to go somewhere and it will cause damage and or poor handling (most likely both).

I"m not sure what the maximum shock travel is, and if it's linear throughout the entire range. Though, I'd suspect 15mm, perhaps up to 30mm would be fine in most cases. Unless you like to hit potholes on purpose.

How's this for low? My qualifying scooter land speed frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That is amazing
    2009 SR FACTORY
    Derestricted
    Water trap
    Leo ZXR with supplied springs and rollers
    3 degree key
    Malossi MHR reeds w/o stuffer
    Questionable cylinder

apriliaforum Junkie
    32mm is as low as it can go at least without major modifications like different shocks. I had to do a minor mod to the inner splash shield to make the shocks clear it but still have a full turning radius and full suspension travel. I took it down the worst road i could find and no problems handling wise just fells like your lower to the ground. It gives it a nice stance think i might keep it like this for a while. And the best news , my daughter said she'd try it now.
    Attached Images Attached Images