Thread: BOMBSHELL: MotoGP and World Superbike could merge!

BOMBSHELL: MotoGP and World Superbike could merge!

"Truth is stranger than fiction."

It is a saying that most adults in the western world are familiar with - an old wives phrase uttered when something unexplicable (yet often funny) is heard or experienced. It does not stand alone in this category - there are other equally powerful and old phrases. "May you live in interesting times" is said to be the English translation of an old Chinese curse for example. "Do not tempt fate" is a patently Western warning whose origins stretch back nearly to time eternal.

So what happens when all of these sayings seem to combine into a seeming vortex that simply boggles the mind?

Only this past April, MotoMatters took a page from "War of the Worlds" and ran an article titled F1 and MotoGP to Merge. Excellently written, the article revolved around press conference in which F1's billionaire owner bought the rights to World SBK and announced the merger in dramatic fashion. The article caused an uproar amongst the sites viewers not savvy enough to note the date of posting: April 1st, more commonly known as April Fool's Day.

A prank then, well timed and executed. Yet for how long have we been cautioned against tempting the fates? It seems that when the drama contained in the article was thrown into the cosmic ether something was listening.

And it answered.

Today it was announced that the controlling principles of Infront - the owners of World SBK - are seeking to sell the rights to the series. One of the 3 potential buyers engaged in a bidding war for the properties is Bridgepoint - owners of Dorna.... who control MotoGP. A deal this big will surely bring attention from the Euro Trades and Acquisitions who may for Bridgepoint to drop one of the competing series.

The Martians never invaded after War of the Worlds aired decades ago, except in movies and series forced upon us by Hollywood with varying degrees of success. Yet somehow we stand at a precipice which could have enormous impact on the sports that we enjoy (and in some cases, enjoy to hate). The parallels with the April Fool's joke are uncanny, but while the fictitious story ended in smiles the real situation may end in many tears.

May you live in interesting times my friends.

i've heard this rumor before but did not know WSBK was up for sale. could be ineresting, if they did merge i wonder what the regulations on bikes would be? production or non production?
    2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R

1999 Aprilia RS50

1997 Honda CBR 900RR (Deutschland Bike)

2001 Honda RC51 SP1

2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)

2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)

As a rumor, it's certainly been kicked around the campfire a few times. It always seemed like something you used to scare newbies with. Kind of like the bogey man. The fact that it's concrete may be a sign of the times. Could this be a sign of the apocalypse? Are we sure that the rapture didn't happen and we're all just living in the (highly populated) post-rapturous world?

With as much modification as is allowed in WorldSBK, how closely does a factory SBK machine come to a proposed Moto1 machine?

Quote Originally Posted by budoist View Post
    As a rumor, it's certainly been kicked around the campfire a few times. It always seemed like something you used to scare newbies with. Kind of like the bogey man. The fact that it's concrete may be a sign of the times. Could this be a sign of the apocalypse? Are we sure that the rapture didn't happen and we're all just living in the (highly populated) post-rapturous world?

With as much modification as is allowed in WorldSBK, how closely does a factory SBK machine come to a proposed Moto1 machine?
    Do we want wsbk swallowed up by moto gp I hoe not wsbk is more fan friendly than moto gp !. Wsbk is more grass roots hard core fans racing where as moto gp is more corporate bullshit like f1 whose fans follow and don't probably know what wsbk is let alone what machines are out on the grid.!!

I think the MotoGP guys are/were really worried seeing as the MotoGP grid was shrinking so dramatically in the last few years....not to mention that there only seems to be 5 or 6 guys that are capable of running up front. I can't remember how many times I've read "what a boring race" on bike forums regarding the MotoGP series. It should also be mentioned that apparently when Rossi was injured last year, TV viewership (as well as attendance at the races IIRC) was down.

Moto2 has been pretty exciting but, I'm not that enthralled with a single make series...I would like to see some competition between factories.....like in WSBK. Moto3 could be interesting....

It will be interesting to see who will be racing in MotoGP in 2012 with the new 1000cc bikes....are we gonna have BMW and Aprilia in MotoGP and will they bail on WSBK?

I've gone to see MotoGP at Laguna every year since they've been there (and WSBK a few times when they raced there)....I'm going to skip this year and see what it's going to be like in 2012....I would go if they dumped the AMA races and brought Moto2/125's...

I would love WSBK to come back to LS instead of Miller.....(and bring the 600's)
    -Randall

.....Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Three great forces rule the world: ignorance, fear and greed

apriliaforum expert
    I would not mind the two merging if we got another promoter who ran a superbike series where the bikes were closes to what a street bike is, and not the over rideraid equiped one off, unobtainium covered bikes we have now, I meen supersport even has tc what a load of shit.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by JDRSV View Post
    I would not mind the two merging if we got another promoter who ran a superbike series where the bikes were closes to what a street bike is, and not the over rideraid equiped one off, unobtainium covered bikes we have now, I meen supersport even has tc what a load of shit.
    They do run a class and it's called WSS. They round 8 round with the WSB's

The one good thing i think that would come out of it is the fact that manufacturers will be able to concentrate on the development of one bike and series instead of 2 like most are doing right now.
    I think we see some manufacturers bikes not meeting there full potential because they are trying to development 2 bikes at once (one in WSBK and another completely different bike for MotoGP) and often have to choose which to put the majority of time and resources to.
    For example we see Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Ducati competetive and on podium in WSBK and BSB but when it comes to MotoGP we know the podium will be Honda and Yamaha with an occasional Ducati.
    Seems like WSBK is a closer race and every rider has a chance to make something happen no matter what bike he is on and i think this is partly because some manufacturers tend to prioritize WSBK since that is primarily where they will sell there production motorcycles. Just my opinion.
    But there are many downsides to the merge as well, and i can't say im in favor of it.
    2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R

1999 Aprilia RS50

2001 Honda RC51 SP1

2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)

2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by fredgreen View Post
    They do run a class and it's called WSS. They round 8 round with the WSB's

yes Iam familiar with superstock, but they dont have the top riders on them. maybe the superbikes should just be superstock level of mods

i think the sport itself would be better as superstock, the problem is most of the research and development comes from the track and race teams trying different things out. i think overall the development and new tech on bikes would really decrease.
    2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R

1999 Aprilia RS50

2001 Honda RC51 SP1

2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)

2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by gts455 View Post
    i think the sport itself would be better as superstock, the problem is most of the research and development comes from the track and race teams trying different things out. i think overall the development and new tech on bikes would really decrease.
    Maybe, but there is also gp for development, the biggest reason we were given to get rid of the glorious 500 strokers was some that the development was related to something the manufactors could sell. And every new model sports bike claims to have latest motogp tech, and if they merge and a new superbike series starts with closer to stock bikes we may see a return of upspec jap bikes like the RR suzuki and kawasakis and OW? yamahas. which will be good for us buying public.
    Either way if the merger happens it will be interesting thats for sure
    Last edited by JDRSV; 06-06-2011 at 01:08 AM.

good point,could go either way. I agree it definitely would be interesting.
    2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R

1999 Aprilia RS50

2001 Honda RC51 SP1

2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)

2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)

One will die!? and moto gp will have the rites to the wsbk name so if someone else starts one up. What will it be called.?? .Sounds like one for a new thread??