Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Clutch slave cylinder seal. Again.

TC the brown varnish on your old piston & cylinder resembles baked-on Castrol R. It`s flaking off in parts & fragments of it certainly would chew the seal. There`s visible scoring on the seal in your pics.
    That said, mine was clean & yet the seal lasted fewer miles. It did have the black muck in slave & master cyls, though.
    The replacement seal I fitted is bright blue in colour. Therefore if the next lot of fluid contamination is blue, we can attribute it to seal wear. If it`s black we can put it down to burnt fluid & can set about isolating slave cyl from crankcase temps.

Cheers, dipso441
    Last edited by dipso441; 05-26-2011 at 05:48 AM.

WTF is going on?

I notice all of you on this thread are outside the US. Could this issue be related to your horrible weather over there? Like Andrew, I've never had any issue with the slave seal. And also like him, I flush the fluids regularly - once yearly, regardless of mileage. Still, I've never seen blackened fluid come out. Darker brown maybe, but not black.

Just a random thought - I had similar issues with the clutch slave seal on my wife's Miata. It leaked like clockwork every year. Same symptoms, too. Blackened fluid that actually felt a bit gritty. I rebuilt one cylinder, then began replacing with new ones. Still, I'd get a call from my wife telling me her clutch pedal was slowly sinking to the floor while stopped, and the car would begin to creep forward. Finally, I replaced the master cylinder and all rubber fluid lines. That was over 6 years ago, and the problem never returned.

Stu

I think TTC might be onto something without saying it and it reminds me of something.

When I first got my KTM, I had put about 1500kms on her and the dealer changed the clutch slave while doing a 1st service. No charge, he just did it. When I asked, he stated that the first batch of slaves were faulty and although KTM did not see this as a recall issue, he was replacing them to save hassle down the track.

Now I see TTC with an updated part and it makes me think that Brembo may have made a minor mod to the slave. (Geez, I'm only guessing, but it makes sense.) Considering the Aprilia and KTM slave is almost identical, then it makes me wonder.....

Mods (so far): Aprilia Rally Raid bars, bar clamp, seat, rear shock absorber, suspension link, front guard, headlight stone guard and lower chain guard. Replica RR sump guard. Leo Vince exhaust, Catfish Mapping. Mk2 Top fairing, painted to match. MG hand guards. Aprilia Dorso indicators. Honda CBR600 Reg. Autocom Intercom. Aux fuse block. H&B side racks. Trax Evo panniers. Tourfella top box Palmer aux bracket. BMW GPS quick release mount. Cyclops LED spot lights. Anakee 2 Tyres. And probably something else I can't think of right now!

http://capoandrew.blogspot.com

Well, this £1.73 part gives value for money in terms of discussion if nothing else.

Cheers, dispo441

Quote Originally Posted by dipso441 View Post
    Unlike Jake`s bike, mine had been in daily use when the seal went/fluid disappeared.
    It sits over winter with fresh fluid & the inside of the slave cylinder was fine. Wear on the seal seemed equal all round, so the piston was sliding square in the bore.
    It`s an `01 bike with 13k miles. The old seal was much softer than replacement, so maybe it`s an age or temperature thing. The slave cylinder is too hot to touch for long once the engine is at working temp. Maybe not the best environment for a rubber(?) seal.
    Perhaps a slim asbestos gasket between crankcase & slave cylinder might extend the seal`s life.
    Then again you`d expect John`s bike to run hotter in his tropical neck of the woods, so I may be talking pants.
    Anyway I`ll report on whether the replacement seal lasts more miles than oe.

Cheers dipso441
    hi dip's

thought I'd put my penneys worth in,
    like the idea of the washer to prevent heat transfer from the engine but heat will pass would still pass along the push rod, the varnish like coating on the inner face of the piston that you noted is a product of this (baking fluid) also
    TTC thoery's about right on the colour issue, it reminds me of a very fine cutting compound,
    I gave this a lot of thought a while back when mine was playing up so could'nt be arsed wivv all the messing so went down omberon route

Hope yours works ok

see ya soon
    Last edited by smurf51; 05-28-2011 at 04:41 AM. Reason: add comment

Well, this £1.73 part gives value for money in terms of discussion if nothing else.

Cheers, dispo441
    leaves us more money to buy a bottle or 2 of good ol Speckled Hen eh dipso, nice find
    (2003 Infinity Blue Capo) - Gone but not forgotten..
    (1990 Kawasaki ZZ-R 1100C1) Remus Innovation S/S Full System, Double Bubble Screen, ZXR750 full lift Carbtops & RenTec rack.
    (1997 Kawasaki KLR 650 C3) In Kwacker Green.
    (2016 KTM 1290 SAT) In White .

Steve I fancy a v4 Tuono for its cable clutch. You can buy a LOT of Hen for that money though!
    Looking forward to hearing about your stateside trip in Llandovery; sounds like a good time. Basky`s honeymoon, too.

Cheers, dipso441

Steve I fancy a v4 Tuono for its cable clutch. You can buy a LOT of Hen for that money though!
    Looking forward to hearing about your stateside trip in Llandovery; sounds like a good time. Basky`s honeymoon, too.

Cheers, dipso441
    The V4 Tuono looks to be the dogs danglies, I can see why your tempted, although it looks a bit small for my 6' 5" frame

Lookin forward to having a good gas with everyone in 4 weeks, lets hope it stays dry
    (2003 Infinity Blue Capo) - Gone but not forgotten..
    (1990 Kawasaki ZZ-R 1100C1) Remus Innovation S/S Full System, Double Bubble Screen, ZXR750 full lift Carbtops & RenTec rack.
    (1997 Kawasaki KLR 650 C3) In Kwacker Green.
    (2016 KTM 1290 SAT) In White .

Lots of posta and topics on the clutch slave cylinder seal, isn't there.
    Sorry to revive this - if there's a more up to date one!
    Any way I have a pattern replacement cylinder - performance parts I think, which s fine.
    Decided to get my old cylinder fitted with a replacement seal, to be kept as a spare, and fitted the UP20-28-4 Polyurethane seal that some use. I found the piston tight in the bore after fitting the seal, the seal was fully fitted into the piston groove. The internal spring would not push the piston back.OK there was no clutch flud present in the bore only a light wipe of silicone grease. Anybody else found this?

Interestingly, I've researched the compatability of rubbers with clutch fluid and found that at higher temperatures Buna is not good with ethylene glycol, but EPDM is. My original clutch bleeding and flud blackening problem was when the bike was stationary for a few weeks, after a very long run/trip, and from the posts this is how it's happened with others. So I'm thinking that heat has played a part in the seal problems. Dipso has posted the same. OK, as the seal is Brembo I'd be shocked if the seal material was different to brake seal material, but who knows.
    My name is Dave,
    bike's name is Black Betty.

When you're traveling, you are what you are right there and then.

Caponord - Douglas Dragonfly - 1942 Harley back again
    Pegaso - Matchless G3LS - BSA A7SS - 1942 Harley - Matchless G80/600cc - Matchless G3LS - BSA C15 - Velocette

brmbrm is right.

I was looking this tread to post my issue with slave cylinder leak after 70.000km. Not all rubber is good rubber. Most hydraulic seals are made of NBR material, some Demands for VITON material but both are not good for DOT4 liquid withc is by the way not oil. Proper and best material is EPDM.
    If you are buying seal by dimension in your local hydraulic stoer you will probably get the wrong material. You have to mention that it is for DOT4 liquid. If they dont have EPDM sela they cam custom made it. It is made from solid EPDM on turning machine. Simple and cheap. In my case was 10€.

Also if you repair preload adjuster cylinder on rear shock ad you use DOT4 liquid to fill you should use EPDM seals.

Another question is where to get protection rubber seal on master cylinder. The outher one visible behind clutch lever.

BR Tomas

apriliaforum expert Stanleybobly's Avatar
    Guys, cheap is always a headache afterwards: do it right buy the OEM slave seal (EPDM), cost only € 19
    no more worries & will last another 8-10 years

sold: "01 Caponord |Flame Red|, Modlist done: Honda CBR600 RR Mosfet (FH008) Rectifier Mod, Brown Connector Mod
    now: "04 Caponord |Rally Raid| FH016 Mosfet R/R | GPR Titanium Exhaust|
    01 Futura [infinity blue]
    Caponord Stanleybobly style loomed MOSFET Rectifiers & Fuelline Kit FS

Quote Originally Posted by Sarctom View Post
    Another question is where to get protection rubber seal on master cylinder. The outher one visible behind clutch lever.

BR Tomas
    The mille and falco parts list has this rubber boot and it fits also for the Capo/Futura
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC 320mm brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch.
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

Yes. The part number is : AP8133522. It costs about £10 inc taxes.

I ordered one for my Capo last week as mine was split.

apriliaforum expert Stanleybobly's Avatar
    it's getting cheaper at aprilia
    they cost now a whooping 7,37 euro

sold: "01 Caponord |Flame Red|, Modlist done: Honda CBR600 RR Mosfet (FH008) Rectifier Mod, Brown Connector Mod
    now: "04 Caponord |Rally Raid| FH016 Mosfet R/R | GPR Titanium Exhaust|
    01 Futura [infinity blue]
    Caponord Stanleybobly style loomed MOSFET Rectifiers & Fuelline Kit FS

Hi Stanley...
    Are you sure that's not AP8133522 €7.37 for Falco?
    Isn't the Capo clutch slave cylinder AP8106935 and much more expensive?

OOPS SORRY, THIS IS ALL WRONG, THANKS TIMCRASHER
    Last edited by brmbrm; 03-04-2013 at 09:16 AM.
    My name is Dave,
    bike's name is Black Betty.

When you're traveling, you are what you are right there and then.

Caponord - Douglas Dragonfly - 1942 Harley back again
    Pegaso - Matchless G3LS - BSA A7SS - 1942 Harley - Matchless G80/600cc - Matchless G3LS - BSA C15 - Velocette

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast