Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Factory Pro Shift Star Reveiw

Factory Pro Shift Star Reveiw

I had Amauri install my shift star 2 weeks ago. Here are my thoughts.

Stock the shifting was not what I thought it should be. I'm coming from Jap bikes and a loaner RSV4. I alway thought the feel was vague and the travel was too much. I tried everything Amauri recommended. Removed aftermarket slave cyl, switch back to semi synth oil, bleed the clutch untill perfect(I ride with the lever all the way out to begin with), while all minor improvements, not to the level I wanted.

Enter the Factory Pro shift star. I did some research on the board. Not many people use it at the moment. I've seen that a few here are about to do it. I ran into Derbybrit at a shop in Simi before he headed to Texas. He loves it. Enough for me. I ordered it, by the way, AF1 does not stock it but it only took a little over a week to receive mine.

I rode my bike to Amauri's shop, fresh stock tranny feeling in mind. It took about 3 hours for the install. You "could" do it faster if you did not take all the care that he did. Everything had to be perfect to his standards, which is how I do things when I wrench. This was a bit too much for me. I was not too keen on pulling the clutch basket. Its too expensive if something goes wrong. Safer bet in my mind to pay him.

From the first time I dropped the bike into gear I could tell a improvement. Thats neutral to first. Riding down the alley and shifting into second I confirmed it was a huge improvement. I've been riding it for the past 2 weeks and still love it. For me, finding neutral is the same or easier. Others may say different but thats my opinion. Even though it does nothing to shorten the lever travel of the shifter, it falls into the next gear so much better that it seems like the travel is much less.

The last part of my equation is to install rear sets to shorten the lever travel. This is just something that bugs me and has nothing to do with the trans or shift star.

Do it if you dont like your tranny. My bike has just under 4000 miles and I expect it to get even better once it loosens up like everyone, including Amaura state.
    2008 Tuono Factory - EVO6, 15-41, clear euro signals, EVO plate relocator, Gold OZ Forged Wheels, Factory Pro Shift Star, Gilles Tooling rearsets and chain adjusters, Rizoma MA010 handlebars.

Have you found false neutrals between 5 & 6 gear? I had that issue with my 04T and now with my 08T. I only experienced this on the 08 in the last 500 miles. Lazy shifting habit or poor tranny? Your thoughts...

I was wondering about the FP shift kit...would it eliminate that?

Spence
    2004 Tuono

The only time I have found false neutrals on my T and RSVR was either what I would call 'pussy footing' shifts, or a poorly adjusted shift lever. These bikes really do like to be slammed through the gears.

Nice review on the shift star. Though I do not come from a japanese bike background I do know that the RSVR is not the nicest shifting bike on the planet and I was always curious about this kit.
    2008 Aprilia RSVR Bol D' Or Rep (Street)
    2010 KTM 450 EXC (Dirt)
    2007 KTM 640 Adventure (Cross Country Bomber)
    2008 Husaberg fe 450 (Project..)
    2008 Ski-Doo 800 (Rotax!) 154" (Winter)
    2007 Aprilia Tuono (Gone)
    2000 Kawasaki ZR-7 (Gone)

I put one in 6 months back due to poor upshifts from 1 to 2 at low rpm. Kept on bouncing back to neutral despite firm upshifts.
    What a difference. Now its just snick snick. Almost as good as a Suzuki box!

ahhhh, a Suzuki box is what Im looking for... guess I have to get one of these now...lol
    2004 Tuono

Quote Originally Posted by TuonoAB View Post
    The only time I have found false neutrals on my T and RSVR was either what I would call 'pussy footing' shifts, or a poorly adjusted shift lever. These bikes really do like to be slammed through the gears.

Nice review on the shift star. Though I do not come from a japanese bike background I do know that the RSVR is not the nicest shifting bike on the planet and I was always curious about this kit.
    You are so right on. It wants to be shifted like a dirt bike. That's the only time had issues like that. What helped before this was to rotate the shift lever down one spline. I didn't have to lift my ankle as far.

I would do the kit again.
    2008 Tuono Factory - EVO6, 15-41, clear euro signals, EVO plate relocator, Gold OZ Forged Wheels, Factory Pro Shift Star, Gilles Tooling rearsets and chain adjusters, Rizoma MA010 handlebars.

Quote Originally Posted by spencer View Post
    ahhhh, a Suzuki box is what Im looking for... guess I have to get one of these now...lol
    He said almost. Still not that nice but Rotax should have built the bike like this stock. It's more like a older Yamaha box now. The sweetest box I've shifted was the rsv4. That what I wish this could be like.

apriliaforum expert
    i never use the clutch anymore for upshifting i have leaned that a couple track days ago always upshift with no clutch it is a lot smoother and you will get a couple seconds on a lap(not sure about that) but it is super smooth once you do it well

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Ed installed one yesterday, the difference in shifting is amazing, at least it was on the bench, today I might be able to actually ride the bike for a bit and feel the real-world difference!
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

It's a real nice upgrade. I think the spring could be even stiffer. Thats just my thoughts. I like shelters real stiff.

How easy/hard to install?
    2008 Hypermotard (for sale)
    2011 Ninja 1000

Quote Originally Posted by topsyt View Post
    How easy/hard to install?
    I found it to be not bad at all. The install instructions on FP's site are pretty good. I'm a noob with this kind of stuff, not an ace mechanic, and did not have difficulties. I even managed to reuse the gaskets. I took 4 hours for bike 1, 2 hours for the other bike.

I love the results... Well worth the trouble.
    Tim

'07 Tuono Factory

Leo Vince cans, 15/42, CF bits, Rizoma bars, bar ends, & mirrors, Austin Racing rear sets w/ GP shift, Factory Pro Evo shift star kit, radial clutch/brake, CRG levers, Evotech hangers, Powerbronze, billet sidestand, 6k HID, AF1 link plates, lightened flywheel, Öhlins TTX, BSTs, Bazzaz Fi-TC

'04 Futura in Gloss Black
    Factory Pro shift kit, 15/43, GP shift, CRG's, Evo clutch slave, Bef semi-full (ceramic coated), Wilbers shock, 6k HID, Mille fork lowers DLC coated w/ Öhlins and 4-pad calipers, radial clutch/brake, lightened flywheel

I would do it myself next time. Not much more difficult than a flywheel removal. A small mistake could cost a lot of money in the end if your not careful.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah / AF1 Racing View Post
    Ed installed one yesterday, the difference in shifting is amazing, at least it was on the bench, today I might be able to actually ride the bike for a bit and feel the real-world difference!
    Micah, you better rub yer ballsy's all nice and gentle on April or she'll kick your ass!

Wait, why didn't you install it?! LOL

I should be down tomorrow morning to pick her up. I can't wait to feel the improvements with the Factory Pro kit.

As always, you guys amaze me and I'm so glad to have you guys down the road from me.
    a long lost soul -- who will never be a legend.

apriliaforum newb
    Could i get a link to a supplier for this please?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast