Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh F%@# me...how bad did I mess up...

apriliaforum expert

Oh F%@# me...how bad did I mess up...

I was bleeding my rear brake a couple days ago...absolutely no better....

No surprise though as when I went out to the garage to clean up some stuff and I was putting bottles away and saw that I had used DOT 5.1, NOT 5.0 as I thought I had grabbed. DOH!

I rushed out bought a bottle of DOT 4 from a polaris dealer and flushed it out in the reverse manner, no traces of the 5.1 left and no bubbles but still ZERO brake. Did I F-up the seals and how badly will the rear circuit remain contaminated?

Does it need to be flushed with spirits to get any silicone coating that may be left?

Guess I need to wear this for a few days...

Sorry you think it's intolerant of me to not tolerate your intolerance.

2007 RSVR 1000- Yeah, It has a few upgrades.....

We used to earn the things we desired in life. Now we're just encouraged to put our hand in the next guy's pocket.

- Don't go where trouble is likely to find you.
    - Some people attract trouble. Don't associate with them.
    - If you're minding your own business and trouble finds you anyway, do what it takes to de-escalate and walk away.
    - If walking away isn't a viable option, consider running.
    - If you have considered and/or exhausted all of your other options and you must fight to defend yourself, fight to kill.

5.1 is not silicon .... your post says you put that in so no problem .... if you put dot 5 in .... that's silicon... I would drain completely and then fill and flush

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by BB1000 View Post
    5.1 is not silicon .... your post says you put that in so no problem .... if you put dot 5 in .... that's silicon... I would drain completely and then fill and flush
    No, it's silicone, I got the numbers backwards there....

We used to earn the things we desired in life. Now we're just encouraged to put our hand in the next guy's pocket.

- If you're minding your own business and trouble finds you anyway, do what it takes to de-escalate and walk away.
    - If you have considered and/or exhausted all of your other options and you must fight to defend yourself, fight to kill.

apriliaforum expert
    So we're supposed to use 5.1 right?
    a long lost soul -- who will never be a legend.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGeek View Post
    So we're supposed to use 5.1 right?
    Yep.....

Wink brake fluid.....

your owner's manual and the service say to use DOT 4

STOP fucking around with all the latest 'motorcycle specific' bullshit that costs 3 times as much.......

its #12 in my sticky;
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=182209

buy small containers only, brake fluid is hygroscopic
    Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
    I'm not PC either

email/PayPal theknurl@yahoo.com
    Skype theknurl
    ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
    your owner's manual and the service say to use DOT 4

STOP fucking around with all the latest 'motorcycle specific' bullshit that costs 3 times as much.......

its #12 in my sticky;
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=182209

I misread the bottle and thought I bought 5.1. It was the ONLY stuff they had on shelf when I went in and it cost a whole $15. Where did I say I bought a $50 gallon jug of fluid?

I may just scrap the whole system and buy an aftermarket one that actually works. How Aprilia could manage to design such a piss poor system using brembo parts is beyond me.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
    Dat true!

Not sure if this is still true but 10+ years ago the story was that plastic bottles would, over time, suck moisture right through their surface.

So, only metal containers of brake fluid reside on my bench.

Bleeding the rear is an art.

You need to disconnect the calliper from the swingarm and hold it so the bleed nipple is facing upwards. Or use a vacuum system to bleed.
    ScottyDog

Official Aprilia Linkage Tester !

My Garage is a bottomless pit of cash sucking hopelessness. So it's definitely part of the family!

apriliaforum expert Mille Racer 69's Avatar
    I have always used dot 4 as Noel said. where did you read dot 5 and 5.1 from?
    I core pipes correctlyCored pipes rideby soundcheck
    PM if interested
    $110 per pipe including shipping back
    ~Nate
    ->=
    --/
    -
    Twisties ride - YouTube video

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Mille Racer 69 View Post
    I have always used dot 4 as Noel said. where did you read dot 5 and 5.1 from?

Local Suzuki dealer. My area is littered with them like the interstate is littered with McDonalds coffee cups...

I misread the bottle and was in a hurry. Didn't think anything of it as I dont think I've every knowingly seen something that uses the silicone fluid.

Luckily it was a different color so when I flushed it I could see if anymore was coming out. Running clear but ZERO brakes. Going to contact Lemick racing about a beringer rear caliper and MC.

Aprilia would have been better off engineering body work that turned into airbrakes when the lever was pushed....

apriliaforum expert Mille Racer 69's Avatar
    oh so you thought you grabbed dot 4?
    I think you have a typo in your 1st post then.
    saw that I had used DOT 5.1, NOT 5.0 as I thought I had grabbed
    Well good luck, hope it isn't FUBAR
    I core pipes correctlyCored pipes rideby soundcheck
    PM if interested
    $110 per pipe including shipping back
    ~Nate
    ->=
    --/
    -
    Twisties ride - YouTube video

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Mille Racer 69 View Post
    oh so you thought you grabbed dot 4?
    I think you have a typo in your 1st post then.

Well good luck, hope it isn't FUBAR
    I had the 5.0 and 5.1 reversed in the OP. I thought I grabbed 5.1 (glycol based) and not 5.0 (silicone). 5.1 is just a higher spec fluid than 4.0 and will work fine....as long as you take the time to read the bottle first to know what you have... <---Me.

Okay... can't help it and apologise beforehand for the rant.

There is NOTHING WRONG with the rear brake guys. I honestly turn mine BLUE from using it so aggressively.

As far as I can tell, it MIGHT be that the stock location of the rear brake master cylinder is subject to a lot of heat. This would be, and it can't take a brain surgeon to see, from the exhaust, in spite of the factory supplied heat shield.

All of these threads talking about this GIANT problem with the rear brake, all of the silly wrangling and thrashing about, moving the master to a location near the swingarm... I don't see the issue?

My rear brake on both RSVR's worked/works perfectly. I can lock it up anytime, but only if I'm stupid enough to want to. Why don't I have a problem? It's the same brake on all of them right?

My first RSVR was bought used at 4300 miles. The rear brake was spongy, to me obviously full of air. I bought a good synthetic DOT 4 fluid, Amsoil, and read the threads on bleeding it. Oh sure, that makes sense. The upside-down rear caliper has the bleeder now upside-down too, so air can't get out. Remove the damned thing, flip it right side up, now the bleeder is at the top, where the air is.

Good Motul or Amsoil or whatever you choose synthetic brake fluid has a very high boiling point. That might in itself be the answer, whatever.

My rear brake is the same as any of you... but works perfectly. I don't know what else to say?

Tirade (sp?) over. So sorry...
    Last edited by JAndrewG; 04-10-2011 at 07:41 AM.
    2008 RSV 1000 R, platinum/charcoal/red
    Akrapovic full system, NERA top triple clamp, Aprilia accessory rear sets, AF1 Ti bolt kit, etc. etc...

2008 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport, black... and stock for now

2007 Ducati GT 1000, red
    Showa forks, Sachs shocks, Termignoni kit, lots more

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by JAndrewG View Post
    Okay... can't help it and apologise beforehand for the rant.

There is NOTHING WRONG with the rear brake guys. I honestly turn mine BLUE from using it so aggressively.

As far as I can tell, it MIGHT be that the stock location of the rear brake master cylinder is subject to a lot of heat. This would be, and it can't take a brain surgeon to see, from the exhaust, in spite of the factory supplied heat shield supplied.

All of these threads talking about this GIANT problem with the rear brake, all of the silly wrangling and thrashing about, moving the master to a location near the swingarm... I don't see the issue?

My rear brake on both RSVR's worked/works perfectly. I can lock it up anytime, but only if I'm stupid enough to want to. Why don't I have a problem? It's the same brake on all of them right?

My first RSVR was bought used at 4300 miles. The rear brake was spongy, to me obviously full of air. I bought a good synthetic DOT 4 fluid, Amsoil, and read the threads on bleeding it. Oh sure, that makes sense. The upside-down rear caliper has the bleeder now upside-down too, so air can't get out. Remove the damned thing, flip it right side up, now the bleeder is at the top, where the air is.

Good Motul or Amsoil or whatever you choose synthetic brake fluid has a very high boiling point. That might in itself be the answer, whatever.

My rear brake is the same as any of you... but works perfectly. I don't know what else to say?

Tirade (sp?) over. So sorry...
    I can see where removing it and turning it upside down to bleed it would likely help if bleeding it the standard way. I was using the syringe method, which SHOULD negate the need to remove it. You are injecting fluid INTO the caliper and supposedly pushing the air back up the line and out of the reservoir.

What kills me, is that Aprilia let the bike leave the factory with this system. If so many people have issues with it, how could their engineers not have run into this and thought, "Hmmm, having to piss with this so often might upset our customers.". Apparently, it went more like "Ahhh fuck'em, they'll adapt.".

The system is no more complicated than one made 30 years ago. There is no excuse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast